Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Desire Mad Dog Mech/RDTA Kit Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the The Desire Mad Dog Mech kit Disclaimer: both products were sent to me from https://www.heavengifts.com/

Desire Mad Dog Mech Kit
Introduction:
The Desire Mad Dog Mech kit is Desires 1st attempt at making a hybrid mod and matching RDTA. as a company if you’re not familiar with desire they are a company known for making good quality and good performing RDAs at good prices. Their last few were the mad dog, yuri, and rabies RDAs. This kit comes with the Mad Dog RDTA and matching hybrid single 18650 tube mech mod. It’s available in 3 colors black, red and purple.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Size: 24mm x 132mm
  • Tank capacity: 7ml
  • Material: 304 gold-plating, aeronautical material shell, Pyrex glass
  • Battery: 1x 18650 battery cell (not included)
Included in box:
  • 1x Mad Dog RDTA

• 1x Mechanical Mod (no cell)

• 2x Glass Tube

• 1x Bag of Accessories (Base, O-rings, Screws, Hexagonal Wrench)
Pictures:
Stock Shot Colors Mod:
brYDlFw.png

Stock Shot RDTA deck:
1Mu4wvb.png

Stock Shot package:
Desire-Mad-Dog-RDTA-MECH-Kit-W_O-Battery_04_8707bb.jpg

Stock Shot:
Desire-Mad-Dog-RDTA-MECH-Kit-W_O-Battery_10_5008e7.jpg

Stock Shot RDA exploded view:
Desire-Mad-Dog-RDTA-MECH-Kit-W_O-Battery_08_cd5f9b.jpg

Built and Wicked:
7LwBEDB.jpg

Deck:
pfYfKnS.jpg

Kit Shot:
9O9J7cW.jpg

Hand Check:
Ykub4G8.jpg

Box:
a2pfnBC.jpg

Open Box:
C91sg7a.jpg

Mod Only handcheck:
E5GyCmT.jpg

Switch Disassembled:
0OJcYN0.jpg

Mech and Hybrid Safety
Before I talk about the mod itself I wanted to touch on hybrid and mech safety a bit. Mechs are not beginner devices period. You should have a basic understanding of ohms law as well as good batteries and understand battery safety. Thankfully u/mooch315

has provided us a list of safe batteries here https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/attachments/img_4813-jpg.643937/ and i also made a safety video here
To keep it short and simple for 18650 mechs i recommend the sony VTC5a battery and building .17 ohms or higher. You have to also remember heat flux of your build. Again this is all why mechs aren’t great for beginners. If you build around .2 you’ll want a heat flux of around 65-70 watts. As far as hybrids go, in reality they aren’t any less safe than any other mech. Especially a kit like this that’s made to go together. The only difference with a hybrid is you have to make sure it has a protruding positive 510 pin like this
with a recommended minimum of .5mm sticking out between the positive and negative contacts.

Mad Dog Mod
Let's talk about the mod now (finally i know right) The mod itself is built very well. It’s also very lightweight. The threading is excellent except the threading to the button which was dirty upon arrival with metal debris, however after a good cleaning it’s smook as silk. it’s got a sleek and simple design with an indent for where your hand would be making it very comfortable. It has minimal battery venting on the bottom and not sure how well it’ll work. It’s a hybrid only mod. No 510 pin on it so make sure you are aware of what attys you can use on it before buying and which one’s you can’t. It has a coated insert to protect against shorts in case you had damage on your battery wrap, but you should ALWAYS inspect your batteries before using and make sure the wrap isn’t damaged. If it is you need to rewrap it, Video here
on how to do that. The mod features 3 color options with a matching tank. The mod is designed for batteries to go positive up, however it can be used either way with no issues. The switch itself is magnetic with very strong magnets making it smooth on the throw with plenty of throw as well and is adjustable to how much you want. It features a simple screw in locking mechanism where you unscrew the button to allow it to be pressed and screw it back in to lock it. It works very well and is very easy to do. Overall I love the switch on this mod. It works great, the locking is great and they made it as safe as possible. I also tested to see how hot the tube would get by “overstressing my batteries” (not recommended if you don’t know what you are doing) and the tube itself never got hot at all or even warm. It handles heat very well. Everything on this mod just screams quality. It looks great and performs great.

Mad Dog RDTA
Now let’s talk about the RDTA. I Actually reviewed the mad dog RDA about 4 months ago
and the RDTA is exactly the same but with the glass on the bottom. Before getting into it, I want to talk about how it works with the kit. The RDTA itself can be used by itself via a base attachment included in the kit. So you can use it on any mod. To use with this kit, you take off the base and the glass will rest directly on the mod itself. There is an o-ring on the mod so it doesn't leak and an oring on the 510 pin so it doesn’t get inside the mod either. Both work really well as i’ve never had a leak or any juice inside the mod. The RDTA itself features an impressive 7ml capacity so fills will be few and far between. And it’s not very tall either for such a big capacity. It has a side fill under the cap like the limitless RDTA.

The deck is gold plated and the coloring appears to be anodized and is beautiful. It features a 2 post deck that is a straight bar across like the twisted messes (or mad dog RDA) with 4 top down screws that are really good quality hex screws. It also comes with replacement screws of different kinds but personally i prefer the hex. The post holes are large and the RDTA can accommodate small, medium, and large builds depending where you put the leads. It has side airflow but it’s really low and angled up so it’s easy to line up the coils and get bottom airflow flavor. It’s a great design they first used in their Yuri RDA (which i have) IIRC. There is plenty of air making it a true DTL atomizer. The cap is also domed for that extra bit of flavor. The drip tip is a standard 810 tip and is ultem with desire printed on it. Overall a very good and above average flavor RDTA for DTL vaping, especially at the price point. The performance and quality is much better then you’d expect. I used it mostly with the kit, but also as a standalone RDTA a few times. Also the cap can get a little hot if chain vaping at high watts.

Overall Impressions of the kit
Overall I was impressed with the quality and simple looks of this kit. It feels great in the hand, it’s light but durable,it looks good and performs good. The RDTA is excellent and is an RDTA version of one of my favorite RDAs this year. A very underrated RDA IMO and the RDTA itself is very underrated as well. If you don’t own a desire atty, the mad dog RDTA is a great choice to try them out and be impressed. As far as the mod goes, it is equally impressive. The color isn’t a deep red like the pics though. It’s probably more of a cross between red and magenta if i had to guess with my limited color knowledge. I mean i can't tell the difference between white and eggshell LMAO I leave that stuff to my wife. I love the switch as well. The magnets are strong and it’s a really smooth throw. The only 2 minor gripes I have is i wish they would have staggered the deck in this new version to make building a little easier and also the threading on the tube where you screw in the fire button should have came cleaner.

Pros: Mod
  • Build Quality
  • Switch Design
  • Locking Mechanism
  • Looks
  • Very lightweight
  • Handles heat excellent
  • No “hot button” issues
  • Performs Great
Cons: Mod
  • Hybrid Only
  • Threading wasn’t all clean from the factory
Pros: RDTA
  • Build Quality
  • Airflow
  • Capable of handling Small to Massive Builds
  • Looks
  • 810 tip
  • Removable base to screw directly onto mod
  • additional base to use standalone
  • build deck and post screws
  • above average flavor
Cons: RDA
  • would have preferred the deck to be staggered
https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Desire-Mad-Dog-RDTA-MECH-Kit.html

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit? Well before i even get into that i want to again state I don’t recommend a mech for beginners. Anyone buying a mech should be familiar with battery safety and ohms law and building for heat flux prior to purchasing a mech mod. With that said while I don’t do a hard yes or now, this one leans heavily towards the yes. It’s a beautiful, high quality, great performing kit at a very reasonable price. I’ll be adding the mod and RDTA to my spreadsheet. If you are looking for a good RDTA you should really consider the RDTA as a standalone for pretty much any DTL vaper.

for some good recommendations, feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it. It has 3 tabs one for juice, one for mods, and 1 for attys

I want to thank you guys for reading. This is Anthony Vapes, just keeping it honest as always, hopefully you all can say you’re doing the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Big thanks again to heavengifts for sending me these for review.

Mad Dog Kit can be purchased for 38.90 for the kit on a flash sale (ends today at 11:59PM PST) which is a steal of a price for this kit so guess i picked a good time to review it here https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Desire-Mad-Dog-RDTA-MECH-Kit.html

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit? Well before i even get into that i want to again state I don’t recommend a mech for beginners. Anyone buying a mech should be familiar with battery safety and ohms law and building for heat flux prior to purchasing a mech mod. With that said while I don’t do a hard yes or now, this one leans heavily towards the yes. It’s a beautiful, high quality, great performing kit at a very reasonable price. I’ll be adding the mod and RDTA to my spreadsheet. If you are looking for a good RDTA you should really consider the RDTA as a standalone for pretty much any DTL vaper.

for some good recommendations, feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it. It has 3 tabs one for juice, one for mods, and 1 for attys

I want to thank you guys for reading. This is Anthony Vapes, just keeping it honest as always, hopefully you all can say you’re doing the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Big thanks again to heavengifts for sending me these for review.

Mad Dog Kit can be purchased for 38.90 for the kit on a flash sale (ends today at 11:59PM PST) which is a steal of a price for this kit so guess i picked a good time to review it here https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Desire-Mad-Dog-RDTA-MECH-Kit.html
Definitely a nice kit. Great review bro.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors