Become a Patron!

Another Ammit Dual leaking problem

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
First hello to all here on the forum and thanks for the expert help and knowledge that is available. I have been vaping for 3 years-- and using RTA's for probably 8 months. I currently have the Ammit Dual, a Uwell D2 and a Kanger Serpent Alto RTA along with an Aspire Atlantis non RTA.

I hand wind coils for my RTA's and got lessons in wicking and leaks with the Uwell. I was excited about the Ammit Dual due to the open deck design and the ease of builds. Mine was one of the models post Ammit Dual first production--it came with the top metal retaining ring for the 3 ml and 6 ml chimneys (kidney shaped openings for filling) and the o ring on the extension tube for the 6 ml chimney was already installed. From my forum reading the extension tube and incorrect wicking are causes of leaks on this RTA.

In the roughly 2 weeks I have owned the Ammit Dual I have re wicked and re coiled it several times, using both single coil and dual coil mode. I changed the RTA to the 6 ML chimney as soon as I received it. I have also checked the o rings several times (weird L shaped o rings yes?) and changed several out but to no avail. It leaks enough to get the top of the mod box (most frequently a Kanger single battery box) wet where the bottom flange rests on top of the box. The leak is definitely from somewhere on the bottom of the RTA either out the air channel or the electrical connection. I have taken the center connection screw out, then taken the recessed screw out which allows one to lift the "positive" side of the build deck along with the plastic insulator it sits in out, cleaned all of this and re installed it. I can not figure out how to take the ring that controls the air channel off. I have checked the top of the RTA for air leaks and replaced the O rings on both the top cover and the top and bottom of the chimney. When I fill the tank, I shut off the juice control and the air control, fill the tank, replace the top, invert it and then reset juice and airflow. Smoke it a bit and generally it is OK. Fill it a second time after rebuiding or rewicking the deck and let it sit, its ok, Smoke it and you have a small leak i.e. the space between the RTA and the mod box is wet again.

I have wicked it loose, tight, medium, with a couple of different types of cotton, made sure none of the wicking is in contact with either the build deck or the air holes and only goes down into the juice channels. It is not my favorite tank for flavor or clouds, although its not bad on either- and a large part of that my well be what I am using for coils and wicking methods. It took some time to get me dialed in to being able to use the Uwell and for it to smoke as well as it does now.

I am tired of occasionally having a wet hand from picking the thing up and using it. The D2 was by comparison fairly simple to master. The leaks are light compared to the D2 where on my first fill, the liquid ran out of the juice tank and filled the glass outer chimney :) Didnt take me long on that tank to get me educated in wicking it but the Ammit has been a lot more of a problem.

Any help and or suggestions on what I may have missed would be very appreciated.

Regards from Ecuador
Expat

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't have that atomizer, but welcome aboard, someone will come along and help you out.

I'm near Quito Ecuador part of the year......:vino:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you checked YouTube for wicking videos regarding that atomizer?

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Hi inspects
Yes I have, looked at a number of the youtube videos, both for the Ammit dual and the Ammit. Followed what was indicated there but still have the occasional wetness on the bottom of the atomizer. I read in another forum about another tank with bottom air control leaking and several people commented that tanks with bottom air control are more prone to this. The Serpent Alto is bottom air control as is the Aspire Atlantis. I dont have any repeated problem like I am having with the Ammit dual.

Many thanks for the suggestion though, it is much appreciated.

Regards

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
The shop I got the Ammit Dual from has agreed to exchange it for either another Ammit Dual or a new tank they are getting in stock, the Vandy Vape Govad RTA. I like the Geekvape workmanship a lot (dont like the leaking at all) and wonder if anyone here can comment on the Vandy Vape Govad. Information would be deeply appreciated.

Regards

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I have an Ammit Dual coil as well and mine leaks as well. In the first full tank of 6 ml of juice, it's fine. But when I refill, it ultimately leaks.

Like you, I've tried different ways of wicking, single and dual coil, 3 ml and 6 ml. What has worked for the first fill is to make sure the cotton covers the juice flow control hole but without sticking out or touching the deck and without being too packed in there. But as I said, after that first fill, it'll leak and it isn't in a refilling problem. It seems to be seeping at the bottom from the gap between the base and ring. The only thing that works is for me to change the cotton and that gets tiresome.

What I like about it: 1) Both AFC and JFC are easy to adjust; 2) I can change the cotton and coil without emptying the tank; 3) Removing the top cap is easy; 4) Good flavor and clouds; 5) It's versatile; 6) I think it looks pretty; 7) I like the drip tip.

Check out the ijoy exo. No leaks, great flavor and clouds. I like the way this tank performs but I find the AFC is hard to adjust when the exo is on the mod. What I do is adjust the AFC before I screw the tank onto the mod. Also, sometimes, when I remove the top cap, the chimney unscrews as well. These aren't deal breakers for me. The Ammit leaking is more of a PITA.

I'd like a combination of the ijoy's leakfree performance and the Ammit's AFC and JFC. :D

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Hi Rocketveg

Sounds like mine--.Same symptoms mine had. It got aggrevating vaping sometimes with a wet hand and finding the mod covered with juice some mornings. Thanks very much for the tip on the exo. I am somewhat limited with what I am able to get here in Ecuador. I agree with all your points on the Ammit plus the quality of workmanship is better than any of my other tanks. And yep I agree they are pretty!

Mine has gone back to the shop for exchange. Before that I unscrewed the outer 501 screw and then the inner screw to take the deck apart to make sure the insulator under the positive side of the deck was not leaking i.e. had dirt under it. Reassembled it, tightented things down, still the same leaks. The shop recommended I really tighten the center screw down and when I did,got an atomizer shorted message on a couple of different mods. Measured things with a good ohm meter and yep, shorted atomizer even with the build removed from the deck. If you look inside the screw hole there is an insulated coating in there that I believe also is part of the seal system to prevent leaking. I am gussing but I think this may have been part of my leak problem all along.

I agree with you, it is a great RTA. It never was my favorite tank for flavor (the Uwell D2 is tied for that spot along with the Serpent Alto) but I enjoyed the very open airflow of the tank compared to my other ones. Had I to do it again I might try getting some teflon plumber's tape, taking the outer and inner 501 screws out and wrapping a SMALL piece of teflon tape over part of the inner screw to try to stop the leaks. That screw must have a seal on it where it goes into the bottom of the tank to connect with the positive part of the deck and I think that might be where the intermittent leaking may come from at least on mine. I would only do this with caution because over tightening can damage things. I never was able to figure out how to get the bottom part of the tank i.e. the airflow ring off to see if there was an o ring inside the airflow cover for this screw that maybe was damaged when the tank was built. I also never was able to find anywhere online with instructions on how to check this.

Many thanks for the great suggestions and sharing your experience with the Ammit.

Regards and be careful depending on the island you are on :)

Great avatar -- I like your kalishnikov photo.
Respectfully
Expat
Ibarra Ecuador

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the tip on the teflon tape. I might try disassembling it again and if that works.

About the photo: It's a fitness goal thing. :treadmill: I'm a Terminator fan and I think Linda Hamilton popularized female muscles before Madonna.

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Well I think it is excellent :) I had a GF for a while who as I do , liked to shoot and spend time outdoors in the woods and so forth. I wont talk about it in any detail here but yes..... I think what you are doing is sexy and great in every aspect!

Regards :)

hi i have multiple RTA's laying around here with me, am no expert but if you think ammit dual is leaking try pharaoh RTA, its a pain to wick really.
back to the op, if youre leak is from air channels i would do the following:
1- dissemble it , rewick, wick doesnt have to be really tight, i use single coil 3mm, fluff the cotton and insert it into juice channels.
2- prime youre wick.
3- assemble the tank
4- make sure before you open the top cap to fill the juice to close juice flow control (rotate the tank clock wise) and the air flow channels.
5- test by filling up to the chimney level, so you dont waste youre juice.
from my past experience leakage from air flows is never related to seals or tank, but its wicking or having air goes into juice channels while filling, thats why you need to close the juice control before opening the top cap.
still i will get small leaks from time to time on any of my rta's. but its managable with a small tissue
hope this helps and works out for you, ammit provides an intense flavor

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Hi buali
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Understand fully about closing the air flow and juice control before filling. I prety much do this with all of my RTA's. I also took precautions to leave the Ammit upright when it was not on the mod box. However some mornings I would find the Ammit in a puddle of its own juice. On mine, at least there was a defect somewhere either in the seals on the bottom of the tank that caused the leak or an air leak on the top of the liquid that allowed it to drain out the air holes on the bottom. It was not a fast leak but something slow that would drain the tank mostly if left for a few hours. I had this with the Ammit Dual in both single and dual coil configurations even after replacing all of the o rings- with the exception of those located on the bottom of the tank where it was not evident how one would disassemble it. I have a Serpent Alto that does not leak but it is a small tank, very good on flavor though. Interestingly enough there were a few o rings included in the spares that did not fit anywhere evident on the tank and I assume they were for the bottom portion under the airflow control but I could find no instructions on disassembly of this part of the tank. Since it was new, it went back to the supplier.

Again thanks for the great suggestions, good guidelines to follow on any RTA.

Hi, new to these forums, but if it leaking from the bottom check and make sure that there is an O ring on the base. Picture attached.

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-07-02-14-53-17-576x1081.png
    Capture+_2017-07-02-14-53-17-576x1081.png
    761.3 KB · Views: 45

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Hi Shamir

First --kind thanks for taking the time to take and post the picture.
I checked the o ring you pictured at the bottom of the tank, removed it and used a magnifying glass to check both the o ring and the slot it fits in for cleanliness, then replaced it with a new o ring. No different, still leaks. Not a problem though because the Ammit is gone back to the distributor and am currently waiting on a Vandy Vape Govad- I had the choice between this and another Ammit Dual - and decided on a large single coil tank for a change. Being an engineering type and mechanically inclined, working on the tanks, doing builds and so forth is something I enjoy. I dont enjoy the leaks or working on the tank more than I use it to vape. I like the Ammit dual for the flavor, vapor production, open deck where builds are easy and the quality of manufacture. What killed it for me though was when there was nothing posted anywhere I could find about being able to remove the airflow ring to get to what is on the bottom of the tank....the source of my leak. This especially since there were a couple of o rings in the kit that did not have any apparent use and I am guessing they went somewhere on the bottom of the tank, inaccessible without the ability to remove the air control.......

Again many thanks for your time and effort to answer in a really constructive way. I hope this thread will help other Ammit Dual users.

Regards

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm having similar issues with the single coil Ammit 25. I tried loads of different wicking methods & materials to no avail. I'm starting to think that it may be down to my coil height. I have it pushed as low as possible so that it's just clearing the bottom where the airflow slots are. I'm not sure whether this would cause leaking but it leaks terribly from the airflow. I don't own the dual coil version but I expect that it uses the similar 3D airflow system for each coil.

Sent from my Apple Newton using Tapatalk

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Hi 32bitlord
I think what buali says here is pretty much correct (earlier post). I returned the Ammit Dual and got a Kylin. Same problem, leaks but not as bad as the Ammit did. I also have a Smok TFV12 which leaks but not as much as the Ammit or Kylin. I have looked at a lot of videos and read a lot of posts on these tanks as far as wicking goes but I am no expert. I think this...that whenever you have a bottom airflow RTA you are going to occasionally get leaks out the air flow. The Smok does not have a juice control-the Kylin does....so the Smok has one less rotating part that has to be juice tight. The Kylin is pretty much the same design as was the Ammit i.e. bottom air flow and bottom juice control just the airflow seems a little different. The Kylin is a great flavor tank provided one will tolerate the top of the mod box always being wet from the juice. That is my experience so far. Hopefully some other folks here with a lot more experience than I have will add to this thread. Only part of Buali's post I would disagree with is that-on my Kylin-it seems to leak less with tighter cotton. After one continues to have a wet hand and box mod in spite of what is said, one goes counter to a lot of the videos and tries anything. Maybe its time for me to forget the RTA's and get an RDA or something else.
Regards

I also have minor seepage from the bottom of the ammit dual. Just pulled it from my mod and noticed a bit of dampness on the bottle of the afc ring. It's almost definitely just slowly seeping.

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
Hi eyepatchdude

Yep I returned mine to the distributor, got a VandyVape Kylin for the exchange and the Kylin leaks as well, same as the Ammit Dual. Since I dont like this type of crap, my next is going to be an RDA of some type. I have pretty much had it with RTA's particularly those with juice flow controls and bottom air flow regulation. There may be some good ones out there but I have not found one yet. I currently use a D2 as my primary tank. If I were you I would return it unless you are willing to live with the leak. One thing you can check is to make sure the screw on the 501 connector is very snug but this needs to be done carefully because you can break things if you are overly aggressive. Another thing that can cause minor seepage is wicking too loose. I know how to wick tanks and in my case the Ammit was not from improper wicking. Guy that designed the Ammit Dual it is rumored, went to Vandy Vape. If this is true he may have taken a crap design with him. The Kylin and the Ammit are very very similar tanks mechanically both with bottom airflow and juice control. As you use the Ammit I believe the seepage will get worse due to mechanical wear. My Ammit was not leaking through the airflow control at the bottom- if it were this might signify either improper wicking or a bad O ring. Mine was leaking in the movable joint for the juice control. It took a lot of patience and a magnifying glass to determine this. As I used mine the leaking got slowly worse. IF I were in your place I would return it if you can and get something else. What to recommend is a good question but as I stated before I am pretty much done with RTA's.

Regards

expat42451

Member For 4 Years
And finally. there are a lot of great people here who can recommend and alternative. Hit the send button too soon.

Hey
I just got the ammit dual and have been having the same issue. Juice appears to be leaking out the bottom pin. I uncrewed the pins and firmly tightened them seems to not leak any more. Hope it helps

VU Sponsors