Become a Patron!

"and so it begins" or "the case of the maxed credit card and angry wife"

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
When I picked vaping back up this February, I had it in my head that I wasn't going to go overboard, just keep one mod, one tank and be happy with it. And then I got the itch. "Hey babe, what if I got a bigger mod and rta because rebuilding my own coils will be cheaper in the long run, and I'll sell my old setup to cushion the blow". So I order a triple battery mod and RTA. At this point I still have every intention on selling my old stuff. But wait, this new tank looks good on my old mod, and the old mod is more pocket friendly so maybe I'll just keep both. Fast forward a couple of weeks to "hey babe, there's a guy at work selling his mech mod for super cheap, whatcha think?". Oh darn, I need a dripper because mine aren't hybrid compatible. Well that one sub ohm tank isn't working with the rba deck so I want to try factory coil heads. I'm running low on wire anyway so I need to order some more of that and cotton. I'll be danged if this build isn't a juice guzzler, I need more juice. Well now juice is to expensive so I want to try my hand at diy, there's a kit for that. So on and so forth... When we get into a bigger place I've already requested a man cave with a vape station

I haven't gotten this far yet, but I can see it on the horizon. I'm up two mods and three tanks, definitely want a mech and dripper, and I do want to get into diy. I want to try to keep it basic and keep my recipes down to a kick ass ry4 and a good strong menthol (basically clones for halo tribeca and subzero). I could live off of those two flavors.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read my story. Y'all have a nice evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I picked vaping back up this February, I had it in my head that I wasn't going to go overboard, just keep one mod, one tank and be happy with it. And then I got the itch. "Hey babe, what if I got a bigger mod and rta because rebuilding my own coils will be cheaper in the long run, and I'll sell my old setup to cushion the blow". So I order a triple battery mod and RTA. At this point I still have every intention on selling my old stuff. But wait, this new tank looks good on my old mod, and the old mod is more pocket friendly so maybe I'll just keep both. Fast forward a couple of weeks to "hey babe, there's a guy at work selling his mech mod for super cheap, whatcha think?". Oh darn, I need a dripper because mine aren't hybrid compatible. Well that one sub ohm tank isn't working with the rba deck so I want to try factory coil heads. I'm running low on wire anyway so I need to order some more of that and cotton. I'll be danged if this build isn't a juice guzzler, I need more juice. Well now juice is to expensive so I want to try my hand at diy, there's a kit for that. So on and so forth... When we get into a bigger place I've already requested a man cave with a vape station

I haven't gotten this far yet, but I can see it on the horizon. I'm up two mods and three tanks, definitely want a mech and dripper, and I do want to get into diy. I want to try to keep it basic and keep my recipes down to a kick ass ry4 and a good strong menthol (basically clones for halo tribeca and subzero). I could live off of those two flavors.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. it gets really deep once the DIY bug bites.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Um yeah. Been there done that. But sweetie this mech has Star Wars on it....

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll assume you're in the States. Look at my signature, you see that banner that keeps track of money NOT spent on cigs? That's what I've saved in just 10 months. However, cigs are $2.70 here. They've gotta be a minimum of twice that in the US now. Get one of these banners and put in the info. Then you can show your wife how much you are not spending on cigs. Then calculate how much you've spent so far on gear. Then just don't spend more than you're saving, on a monthly basis. You'll still be saving money.

When I get something new my wife will say, "You got another one? Why, aren't the others working?" What I find funny is only my 9 year old son notices when I have a new tank or mod. Then he tells everyone else. He really wants to vape, he tells me. She has her hobbies and I have mine. Also, as my wife has put it, "It beats the hell out of smoking."

In the beginning there is a significant outlay of cash. But once you get DIY up and running, you'll save a shitload of money. You'll also slow down in the gear acquisition once you find your preferred method. Most of us do, I believe. Sure you'll still get a new tank here or there, but once you've got 6-8 mods and 20 tanks you'll be good. And just in case those numbers scare you, search around these forums and you'll see that those numbers are not really big at all. You can also sell off gear you'll stop using.

Finally, the next time she complains, give her a long, deep kiss. Then pull back, look into her eyes and say, "I smell and taste so much better, don't I?" :)

dinocore

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just in the last year ive had 5 top notch mods, 1 crappy mod, 4 top notch rda's ( twisted messes, goon etc.) 3 sub ohm tanks, a ton of coils heads, before I got me a rta to replace the tanks with no rba decks, or crappy ones lol. not to mention juice, jeeze to think I used to spend 13 for 15 ml lol. Id run through that in like a day and a half... luckily now they make 100 ml bottles for a decent price, so it cost a little less, about 25 here at the local vape shop, much cheaper online, which I buy most of my juice from now. but yeah, all in all I'd say I've probably spent about equal if not more on vaping stuff instead of ciggs. It's all good though, I know it's better for my health and I don't smell like an ashtray, plus I can do it indoors too so thats a plus lol

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I kinda knew what I was getting into when I started vaping as a hobby. I knew from the get go that it would be a fun money pit. I guess I'm going about it right though. Bills get paid, family gets fed, and then I'm left with my grown up toys. And as of right now, if there's no money left over after bills, groceries, and saving for a house, I know I'll be alright because I can get by with what little vape gear I have. But man oh man does this wish list grow by the day!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Except from your wife.

Probably easier just to find a new wife.

Yeah I used to think that way. HA!

The other night I had a little dispute with my wife over what I was spending on vape toys. I asked her which of my other hobbies she would prefer I devote more time. I know there are a few $800+ guns I've been eyeing or a couple of camera lenses I'd like. Those are real cheap. She finally agreed that it's fiscally better to buy the $50 RDA or mod, but I'm still cut off for the month. I guess the 4 mods and 2 RDAs were a bit much for her.

Fossal

Member For 4 Years
As long as the bills get paid, the wife's credit card has a zero balance and her car is new and paid for. She could care less what I buy for vape gear. It costs me about 50k a year to spend less than 3500. Go figure.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I told my husband when I started, I was going to get a lot of vape stuff. He asked why I needed a lot. I said "so it's ALWAYS easier to find something to vape with, than run to the store for cigarettes." He said "Oh, GOOD! Order away!" That was 3 1/2 yrs ago.

tumblr_oqdy12oYUJ1vga2mio1_1280.jpg

I wouldn't call that going overboard... especially since I'm now supporting my son starting vaping too. And I haven't bought cigarettes in 3 yrs, saving a BUTTLOAD of money; the stuff I HAVE bought, I mostly still have, because I haven't turned it into ashes.

Ask your wife how much your life is worth to her.

Andria

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
just in the last year ive had 5 top notch mods, 1 crappy mod, 4 top notch rda's ( twisted messes, goon etc.) 3 sub ohm tanks, a ton of coils heads, before I got me a rta to replace the tanks with no rba decks, or crappy ones lol. not to mention juice, jeeze to think I used to spend 13 for 15 ml lol. Id run through that in like a day and a half... luckily now they make 100 ml bottles for a decent price, so it cost a little less, about 25 here at the local vape shop, much cheaper online, which I buy most of my juice from now. but yeah, all in all I'd say I've probably spent about equal if not more on vaping stuff instead of ciggs. It's all good though, I know it's better for my health and I don't smell like an ashtray, plus I can do it indoors too so thats a plus lol
Plus with the money spent you have something you can hold in your hand. With cigs its all up in smoke or in an ash tray.

Pack of cigs around here is about 9 bucks. So instead of 4-6 packs over time you could have yourself a decent setup for the same money. Thats how I justify it lol..PAD people should be able to get something new every week.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The wife was starting to get to that point and was going to tell me (ask me) to watch it. Well now the tune has changed since my stepson now has one of my tanks since he wont use his RBA or buy coils and who knows how much juice he has taken. My other Son has another tank and a package of coils. I told her today, I am going to have to shop to replace this stuff, I see a mod "accidently on purpose" being picked. Win for me. :bliss:

I should of added, I don't even use tanks except for one I wont lend out but I still get to shop. :)

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
wow. two mods and three tanks?? You have barely started. My wife got mad the other day when she saw that I have bought 5 DNA250 boards and a bunch of blocks of Stabilized hybrid wood. I tell her it is two birds, one stone. I like making things, and with these Im not smoking cigars anymore. and it keeps me out of the house and busy when Im in my shop making box mods. so its a win win win! But she will never see it that way.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
wow. two mods and three tanks?? You have barely started. My wife got mad the other day when she saw that I have bought 5 DNA250 boards and a bunch of blocks of Stabilized hybrid wood. I tell her it is two birds, one stone. I like making things, and with these Im not smoking cigars anymore. and it keeps me out of the house and busy when Im in my shop making box mods. so its a win win win! But she will never see it that way.

Just find a more expensive hobby and pitch it at her :p, pretty easy to drop 30-40k on fishing when you add the cost of a boat, insurance, licensing, gear etc etc etc, then there's ice fishing if you're in the north so you'll need a skidoo, ice hut etc etc..

Oh you mean you don't want me to spend that much money? I guess I'll just continue my current hobby then..

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I wanted to buy a Jeep a couple of years ago my wife asked why. I told her I wanted a convertible and to drive in the desert. She hemmed and hawed. I then told her that I didn't drink, do drugs or have a girlfriend. But I'd be willing to start one of them. I have a Jeep.

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You've bought 5 dna mods? I can't even afford one!
I've even started selling mods I'm struggling with money that much!

VU Sponsors