Become a Patron!

An interesting (overheard) conversation

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As background I've been working for the same company for 4 years, and at the same location for a little over 3. Most of my 150 or so coworkers know that I smoke (or used to).

I was outside today vaping my Subox about the time 2 of the late day-shift stragglers were leaving. They were about 100 feet away. One is a bit of a Joe Blow too-old-to-wanna-be-hipster and the other is a no-neck mongoloid "health nut" who lives on the gym and protein bars.

Joe Blow sees me vaping and says to no-neck "well, at least it's better than smoking". No-neck says playfully "I don't know about that". Joe Blow responds "well, I mean it's definitely safer than smoking". No neck responds "IT IS NOT SAFER!!!!"...

Another coworker who is a floating relief staff from our main building was at my building for the last few days. She had seen me picking up my Subox and going out to vape during my breaks and asked me, after seeing me do it for 4 days, "you a smoker?". I thought it would be my moment to evangelize, but as it turns out she was also already claimed by the ignorant non-vapers. She started chastising me about smoking and how she had quit cold-turkey a few months back. I tried explaining what exactly it is I'm doing and that it's nowhere near as bad as smoking, but she wasn't having it.

What is everybody's deal? Why does the non-vaping public have such strong and misinformed opinions about vaping? Who's spewing the vape hate or what about vapers is pissing these people off?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As background I've been working for the same company for 4 years, and at the same location for a little over 3. Most of my 150 or so coworkers know that I smoke (or used to).

I was outside today vaping my Subox about the time 2 of the late day-shift stragglers were leaving. They were about 100 feet away. One is a bit of a Joe Blow too-old-to-wanna-be-hipster and the other is a no-neck mongoloid "health nut" who lives on the gym and protein bars.

Joe Blow sees me vaping and says to no-neck "well, at least it's better than smoking". No-neck says playfully "I don't know about that". Joe Blow responds "well, I mean it's definitely safer than smoking". No neck responds "IT IS NOT SAFER!!!!"...

Another coworker who is a floating relief staff from our main building was at my building for the last few days. She had seen me picking up my Subox and going out to vape during my breaks and asked me, after seeing me do it for 4 days, "you a smoker?". I thought it would be my moment to evangelize, but as it turns out she was also already claimed by the ignorant non-vapers. She started chastising me about smoking and how she had quit cold-turkey a few months back. I tried explaining what exactly it is I'm doing and that it's nowhere near as bad as smoking, but she wasn't having it.

What is everybody's deal? Why does the non-vaping public have such strong and misinformed opinions about vaping? Who's spewing the vape hate or what about vapers is pissing these people off?

Big tobacco propaganda and so-called expert studies spewed across the Internet usually. Keep vaping with your head and your mod held high my friend! And congrats on being a non-smoker!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I recently started working in a new kitchen. I specifically told my (now ex boss, she got fired today actually) that I don't smoke, I vape during my interview. So a month goes by and I say I'm going out I need some nicotine in my life to a coworker. She pops her head out the office and calls me a liar, said I told her I didn't smoke during my interview, which I did, which is true. But she continues to tell me it's the same thing and I lied. I tried to explain the difference, but she wasn't having it.
They are simply uneducated man, that is all.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I recently started working in a new kitchen. I specifically told my (now ex boss, she got fired today actually) that I don't smoke, I vape during my interview. So a month goes by and I say I'm going out I need some nicotine in my life to a coworker. She pops her head out the office and calls me a liar, said I told her I didn't smoke during my interview, which I did, which is true. But she continues to tell me it's the same thing and I lied. I tried to explain the difference, but she wasn't having it.

Show her these. And ask if these small children are smoking. She can't have it both ways.

The key ingredient? PG - Too insure a better delivery. And they are most certainly targeting children ;)

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 41

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To the OP

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh often. But I actually was listening one day when he discussed vaping. And he said it best.

Quote: The haters, would hate anything you did. They do not want to see you happy. They would rather you be miserable like them. End quote.

My spin

And while they consider smoking nasty and unhealthy. You were contributing a HUGE amount of money, into secondary health programs via tax revenue. Now, you're cheating them out of services. By not continuing to smoke. You are STEALING from them. That's why they're so angry at vapers.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I only ever used to listen to Rush Limbaugh for a good laugh/rage while screaming at the radio. I got tired of raging at the radio so my blood pressure thanks me for stopping listening to his circus show.

That being said, although I don't think that the anti-vapers I've encountered have the capacity to think that far into the economic chain, I can see what you're saying. Being that my state started the whole anti-tobacco deal and funds the entire country's anti-tobacco campaigns via a settlement that's still earning some MN lawyers assloads of money, our tobacco excise taxes, while not THE highest, are in the top 5.

I think it's more of a misinformation/I-see-smoke-you're-the-devil kind of thing. These people aren't intelligent enough to read the studies or make the connection to vaping having 4000 or so less chemicals (of what's known) in cigarettes.

People say "we just don't know what's in those e-cigarettes", but so many scientists and doctors have said " we know more about the ingredients of e-cigarettes than what is ACTUALLY in cigarettes".

All I'm saying is do some research before you chastise/berate the guy who's finally quit smoking cigarettes.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You people worry too much about what others say. lol
It may just be the asshole in me, but the exact second someone tries to tell me something I'm doing is wrong, dangerous, or anything of the sort I tell them "you are an idiot" and proceed with my life, that's the end of it. Snuff them, they will stop, after a person realizes they are just talking to themselves they tend to just stop talking. As it should be.
People either love me or hate me, no in between to be found. I've made it 25 years without them why in the hell would I need them now? I'm happier for it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It may just be the asshole in me, but the exact second someone tries to tell me something I'm doing is wrong, dangerous, or anything of the sort I tell them "you are an idiot" and proceed with my life, that's the end of it. Snuff them, they will stop, after a person realizes they are just talking to themselves they tend to just stop talking. As it should be.
People either love me or hate me, no in between to be found. I've made it 25 years without them why in the hell would I need them now? I'm happier for it

I've wasted a lot of time presenting "science" to idiots. ^^^This approach gives me more time to enjoy my vape.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've wasted a lot of time presenting "science" to idiots. ^^^This approach gives me more time to enjoy my vape.

I haven't actually had any bad encounters per se. Most have had questions, and I answer to the best of my ability.

Hell, even my employer has been supportive. Despite their aggressive smoking cessation campaign. Even allowing me to store juice in my direct supervisors desk at one point. (Long story)

Truth is, the vast majority of people don't care. But there's a small number of people that make money from leading socially acceptable behavior campaigns. They are very loud individuals.

And those individuals are always looking at money.

mingerz

Member For 4 Years
The worst are the Ex smokers who went cold turkey. They see vaping as somehow cheating and that it shows a lack of moral fibre. What they don't understand, is that not only have we given up death but found a thoroughly enjoyable way of experiencing thousands of different taste sensations other than eating and drinking. With nicotine or without.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The worst are the Ex smokers who went cold turkey. They see vaping as somehow cheating and that it shows a lack of moral fibre. What they don't understand, is that not only have we given up death but found a thoroughly enjoyable way of experiencing thousands of different taste sensations other than eating and drinking. With nicotine or without.

I have yet to find a "cold turkey" quiter, that smoked 3 packs a day. Prior to quiting.

Call me an asshole. But I believe if you smoked less than a pack a day. You're not even in the same league with me lol

Therefor any opinion you may have, is just that. An opinion, based on your personal experience. 1 in 1 billion opinions :)

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's a crappy way to talk to some one and a stupid way to think . No wonder she no longer works there . Instead of giving you a pat on the back for not smoking !
Can't fix stupid !

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I have a very large problem with being called a liar. That's a big no no for me

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's a crappy way to talk to some one and a stupid way to think . No wonder she no longer works there . Instead of giving you a pat on the back for not smoking !
Can't fix stupid !
Yeah I've been thinking maybe it's not the place for me, not just that, but there was talking behind my back and other things that make me want to sabotage working there. I do have a second job but I can't just quit.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Naysayers don't bother me too much. I just figure that if I didn't care what people thought about me smoking, then why should it bother me if people think ill of my vaping habit?

I'm happy to share my experiences and knowledge with people who want to know about vaping, but if they have their minds made up beforehand, then I'm not gonna make it my mission to clear my or vaping's name to them.

Fuck em for trying to waste both of our time, yanno? My time is valuable to me. If they want to insist on being stupid, that's their prerogative. They're hurting themselves more than anybody else. Willful ignorance has a way of making a person unaware of things that they should probably avoid. They'll blame anyone and anything but themselves when the consequences rear up. And they won't learn a damned thing from those experiences. You could smack them in the face for saying something overtly disrespectful and inappropriate to you and it wouldn't humble them in the slightest.

I dunno, in general, I try to be the bigger person and let people's petty opinions of things that have no bearing on them pass right through me. I don't like being angry, so I try not to keep myself in situations that are conducive to being angry. Those sorts of conflicts only end when one person decides it isn't worth the trouble anymore. If they don't express an interest in ending a circular conversation, then I'm more than happy to end it for them. ^_^

Every now and then, someone will tell me some bullshit about how vaping is no better than smoking, how I should quit, or "did you know that...?" and so on as though they have any business telling me about what I'm putting into my body... ...its almost as though they feel they're somehow more qualified to make assessments about my well being than I am, like they're going to enlighten my poor lost soul. Maybe I have this look about me that makes people think I'm suffering, or something. I don't know.

My standard response is something along the lines of an apathetic shrug and a "we'll just see about that." And maybe they'll pity me for that. That's their loss. I do not exist to pad out the needs of their dysfunctional egos, but they're more than entitled to their delusions. Whatever gets them through the day.

It has been my experience that people who make it their mission to childishly and rather emphatically pass judgement on others tend to be lacking a sense of control over decisions in their own lives. Why do you think that these are the very same people who complain about everything? They tend to be very insecure and thus are easily offended. They probably just want to have their way with something. They just wanna be right for once... ...to have some sense of purpose and agency. They've got beef, and not just with you.

That's just how I see it, though. If someone headstrong wants to come at you with lint-encrusted pocket change and you reciprocate it, then you can't really be all that frustrated when you find that you have aged that much more and accomplished nothing in the process. They may be the instigators, but you fed the cycle.

Some people are not to be taken seriously. It's often said that idiots speak the loudest, but that's really just another way of saying that the majority of people who are listening quietly are smart enough to disregard what the idiots are saying. Somehow, life goes on between the lines for most folks. Or at least, that's what my goddamn faith in humanity compels me to believe.

I think we need to be visible in the world and make our legitimacy as vapers self-evident, but lets not get sidetracked at the petting zoo. Never cast pearls before swine. There are times when we have to stand up for our rights, but getting into arguments with zealots we encounter over the course of our daily lives is not a productive way to go about attaining legitimacy in the eyes of the majority. Some people will always be opposed the choices that others make.

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My old man quit cold turkey after about 45 years of smoking, so it is possible.
When I started vaping after 12 years smoking my parents would mess with me about it. Now they're used to it. They don't get why I have a travel case with a screwdriver, couple of bottles of juice, an extra rda and a bunch of batteries though when I go visit them but I guess those are things only vapers can understand.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had an old fart at work ask me yesterday "Why didn't you just quit ??" I told him that would have involved prison time....

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had an old fart at work ask me yesterday "Why didn't you just quit ??" I told him that would have involved prison time....
You should have asked if he took any medication, then proceeded to ask him "why don't you just die?".

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should have asked if he took any medication, then proceeded to ask him "why don't you just die?".

Believe me, I thought of plenty to say but was on the clock....lol!

Satchvai

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The motto I live by is " It's none of my business what you think of me." I do advocate for vaping when I have an opportunity, though it probably falls on deaf ears most of the time, there is the small percent it may make a difference when the person goes into the voting booth.

spookiewon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have to disagree here. I quit smoking nearly 12 years ago--cold turkey. I've been vaping two years. (There are a couple of studies that nicotine can relieve some nerve pain. I have central pain syndrome, and was looking for some nerve pain relief, as I'd quit taking prescription pain medications--fentanyl and oxycodone--also cold turkey--some two years before that.) Ex-smokers come in all varieties, not just judgmental assholes.

VU Sponsors