Become a Patron!

Amp draw question

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I put some Claptons in my RDA and they read at around 0.128 on my smok alien but at 45 watts the amp is 20.3 and I use dual Samsung 25r and I was just wondering if its safe to use because I'm not sure if the amp draw is supposed to be that high or not , or what wattages I can safely run them at

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I put some Claptons in my RDA and they read at around 0.128 on my smok alien but at 45 watts the amp is 20.3 and I use dual Samsung 25r and I was just wondering if its safe to use because I'm not sure if the amp draw is supposed to be that high or not , or what wattages I can safely run them at

On a mech mod, the resistance is critical in determining the amperage draw on the batteries. But... on a regulated mod, it's the watage "requested" that is the prmary factor. True... lower res almost always means more power applied, but that's an almost perfect example of "correleation does not equal causation".
And there's debate over which newer mods have moved away from the industry norm of displaying "amps delivered (at the coil)" and gone to "amps drawn from the battery", which is far more useful IMO. So for now, that's not a displayed parameter I'd rely on.

In general, and if you don't feel like doing the math or being overly precise... if you have genuine batteries, not ridden hard or abused... a ballpark maximum is 60 watts per 20 A CDR battery (the amps drawn are distributed across all the cells). Adjust the math for other CDR ratings... 75W per 25A cell, 90W per 30A, etc.
But... it will flat your batts in no time. ;)
Carry spares, or stay somewhat lower. Say 45 watts per 20A cell for regular usage.

You could easily go double that on your dual cell Alien, regardless of the coil's resistance.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

You are using a regulated mod, Watts not Ohms are the major factor in determining amps, and that amp reading on the mod is the output amps to the coil from the control board, not the input amps of the batteries.

45watts set/5.6v lowest voltage available/90% Mod Control Board Efficiency= 8.928571428571429 amps (*Note, that 5.6v is 2.8v per battery X 2 batteries)

and that 20.3amps is not accurate

Ohms Law Calculator Shows @
0.128ohms /w 45watts as a secondary figure of the 4 variables
volt output should be 2.40v and you should be outputting 18.75amps, not 20.3amps so the Ohm's may be plus or minus about .02ohms and throwing off the actual output readings.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is no "safe". Only "safer" and "less safe". Vaping at 60 watts per 20A CDR battery in a regulated mod (just multiply those 60 watts by the number of batteries inside your regulated mod) you can expect to be "relatively" safe because then you will still have some time left to put the mod down─on a non flammable surface─and run away like hell. That is, in the event that something goes wrong with the mod (i.e., the mod starts auto firing due to a technical malfunction inside the mod). BUT... now you're assuming the mod can never ever malfunction in such a way that 1/ it unexpectedly jumps to the maximum power output it can support, and 2/ it starts auto firing after that. So to also account for this (however small) risk, it's not "vaping at 60 watts per battery", but instead, it should be, "vaping on a regulated mod the maximum power output of which is equal to or below 60 watts per battery".

That said, I have personally, with my very own eyes, witnessed a Smok GX350 jump to max power (a whopping 350 watts) despite that the display on the mod was indicating only 75 watts. Had the mod started auto firing after that, try to imagine what could have happened next. Now, I'm not telling anyone what to do or what not to. In the end everyone has to decide for him/herself. Nevertheless, it would be an understatement if I told you I am astounded by the amount of misinformation that rides across the internet. :)

VU Sponsors