Become a Patron!

Am I the only one who hasn't dabbled with TC??

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So almost four years in. Been through many different phases of vaping. But I still haven't felt the need to even try temp control. I guess I just like the simplicity of wattage mode. In fact I find the longer I have vaped the more I am going back to simplicity. I am building coils less. Using prebuilt coils. I do rebuilding in general less. I use more coil heads than I used to. So I just never felt the need to try TC. Seems to add a little complexity to things. I have four TC devices but only because there is very little left that isn't TC.

Am I missing much?
Am I on an island by myself?

Tap'd from my 7+

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've tried it a couple of times... Could never get it to work well. I vape pretty low wattage and the TC IMO does not work well for that. I just got tired of messing with it. I rarely get dry hits/etc anyway.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't TC. I did try it out, not for very long, but my flavor was no different, I don't need a new kinda wire to buy, since I have plenty of what I'm already using. I just don't want the extra hassle, and I'm very happy with my vape experience. LOL, I've seen some get very defensive about it, too. "Well you should!!", then offer ins and outs, information I won't use, then offer to school you through. No, I'm happy with my vape. I'm a low wattage, MTL-ish vaper.

I do still wrap my own coils. It kills me to have a pack of coils, knowing I'll need to order more of them when I get down to a certain number. And those are being thrown away. It kills me to do that, so I'll keep wrapping, til I can't.

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started vaping to get off chew. It has morfed into a hobby. I'd say if you just like to vape it's no loss if it has become a hobby get a dna device and tinker away. My opinion is tc is great for dripping. Cloud chasing or low watts no so much.

Don't drip and drive.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I guess the only reason I have tried TC is it came as a feature on the regulated mod I got.. I figured after 2 years of learning how to vape using a mech. It was time to vape the easy way..

So far I have yet to figure out how to get a good TC vape. I just find I get a better vape in VW mode using a custom preheat and power curve. I find it easier to get the Temps I want and control over them with VW regulation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I vape in TC about 90% of the time. I find it to be the smoothest most consistent vape I have ever had. I'm a little different than most vapers though because I started off with TC. My first mod was a Sigelei 75w TC with a Kangertech STM. I started vaping using Nickel coils. Over the years I have noticed that when I am 40 watts or under I get a better vape in wattage mode. Over 40 watts I get a better vape in TC mode. I also believe that there are three top tier boards that have seperated themselves when it comes to TC. They are the FSK, Yihi, and DNA boards. Not saying other boards can't do TC well but the 3 I mentioned are known to be the best. Today, I vape mainly in TC mode and almost exclusively with SS.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

Last edited:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I bought a roll of 316L SS and started messing around with TC this past week. I have only tried on my Pico so far and couldn't tell much of a difference in the vape. However I do like the flavor the SS produces and being you can use that in either mode I most likely will keep playing around with TC when the urge hits.

BuryTheSun

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While most of my devices have TC, I rarely use it. Once in a while I'll jump on a good deal for nickel pre-built coils for one tank or other I have, and you definitely need to properly tc those. But that's not about a better vape, just jumping on a good deal occasionally I can't pass up. I do like ss coils... I get pre-built heads and also pre-wrapped coils for rta/rda's, but find for myself, power mode is just as good and less hassle than tc.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm doing TC on my DNA 250 and regular wattage mode on the rest of my setups. TC doesn't seem to work nearly as well on any of my other mods.

kingshockey

Member For 4 Years
So almost four years in. Been through many different phases of vaping. But I still haven't felt the need to even try temp control. I guess I just like the simplicity of wattage mode. In fact I find the longer I have vaped the more I am going back to simplicity. I am building coils less. Using prebuilt coils. I do rebuilding in general less. I use more coil heads than I used to. So I just never felt the need to try TC. Seems to add a little complexity to things. I have four TC devices but only because there is very little left that isn't TC.

Am I missing much?

Tap'd from my 7+
nope your not alone i just wattage mode too never built a coil or tried to might try to soon as i can figure a ay to do it all one handed haha swapping coils out for me is simple as going to my local vape shop dudes there are cool enuff to do me that favor anytime i ask them they even said if i buy an rba or rda type set up they would build coils fo me anytime i need em

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nope, definitely not alone. I haven't been vaping for long and while I might eventually get into DIY juice, I'm not mechanically inclined so will likely never build coils or do anything very technical.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always vape in TC. Some vape both ways. Some only vape in wattage. Question answered. No one way is best for everyone. That's the beauty of it, we have choices and people can choose the way they like best.

Cheers,
Steve

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've chased perfection in TC vaping for awhile, and finally found it when I switched over to DNA boards...specifically the DNA250. I've had the Sigelei 150TC, the RX mods, the Cuboid, the X Cube II, and other mods that had the TC ability, but they have all failed me at one point or another. Switching over to the DNA has shown me what I've been missing.

I still VW vape with the other mods and RDAs on occasion, because I like to screw around with things...but TC vaping has really brought the flavor of my juices up a couple of notches.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like Deucesjack I vape in tc probably 90% of the time. I enjoy a relaxed dl vape and it keeps from burning the wick and killing the flavor for me. I enjoy a slightly warm vape and if I use power mode it's either too weak in the beginning of the hit to prevent burning at the end or a nice warm vape that gets out of control at the end with slower draws. TC keeps it steady and consistent for me.

Nothing special, no dna device or anything, that's using an istick tc100w and single twisted 316L coil on an rta. I ditched premade coils due to cost and quality control (or lack of). Winding a coil isn't much harder than using a twist tie on a bag of bread when the coils are simple. Whatever works for folks, it's kind of personal and subjective. Rarely is there a right way or a wrong way, plenty of successful people buck the norms.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im fairly new to TC..My first experience was with an Ni200 coil on an OBS T-VCT tank...I didn't like the idea I could taste the wire somewhat so, I brushed it off and figured id try it with SS wire which is why I bought 4 rolls of it...My next TC experience was with kanthal Using the FSK board and I have to say I was pleased with it once I figured how to dial it in properly...I can set my power high so I have zero ramp up time then TC kicks in and keeps the vape at the heat I like most for flavor and my overall vape...Im sure ill be experimenting more with SS wire and finding that ill use TC more often than not.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Earlier I mentioned I was messing around the past week. After reading the comments I started again tonight. It does appear the closer i get "dialing it in" there is a difference.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do TC and have since I found the SX Mini with TCR settings.
Now I vape on a few boxes from the Big 3 of the TC world. I use NiFe52 because that's what I like.
The 'why' of it is the consistency. Secondary is it compensates for my lack of memory/attention. I get zero dry hits, though I do occasionally wonder why I'm getting weak or no vapor. Then 'Hey look, no juice'.

To each their own.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do like the consistency, when I get consistency.
I am using a Pico, and my build a simple 6 wrap using 316L 26G
Consistency I would rate as OK. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or it is just the mod itself. Would a space build be better for TC? It sounds like there are better chips out there if I want to continue with this. I really need to set up my Alien and try. Does anyone else have issues with using TC with the Pico?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do like the consistency, when I get consistency.
I am using a Pico, and my build a simple 6 wrap using 316L 26G
Consistency I would rate as OK. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or it is just the mod itself. Would a space build be better for TC? It sounds like there are better chips out there if I want to continue with this. I really need to set up my Alien and try. Does anyone else have issues with using TC with the Pico?
I always recommend people use spaced coils for TC. I know someone will say it's not absolutely necessary, but I think it works better (less problems). I always use spaced coils for TC.

I would definitely agree not all chips are created equal when it comes to TC. I however don't have a PICO so I can't be any help when it comes to that. I mainly use DNA mods and I get excellent results using TC.

Disclaimer: I'm not implying or saying that only DNA mods are good at TC. It's what I have the most experience with, so I mentioned them. :cheers:

Cheers,
Steve

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am in the same boat but it's because I haven't owned anything that can with the exception of my wife's mods which do not output enough watts for where I vape.

I currently want to buy a dna mod to TC stainless. Personally I don't care for stainless in watt mode due to its fluctuations in resistance. If I had a mod that did preheat I think I would be in heaven lol

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TC, meh not worth the busy work IMO. I dove into it pretty deep with my DN200 and before that vaped TC with Ni coils. I had it dialed in well with my DNA and SS. I find it too much busy work for too little benefit, it's not for me. Today I'm 99.99% Mech's, I can tell when I need to drip and with tanks you just look at the level. I love the simplicity of Mech's, push the switch and Vape. Then when I can tell I need to swap batteries, just swap. Vaping on TC provides an OK Vape but IMO Mech's provide the smoothest vape that TC can't even touch let alone a regulated Mod.

That's me

Not Sure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
whats a good video that explains joules/ resistance lock/ preheat/ tfr tcr etc? ive been thinking of going to TC for a while

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
TC, meh not worth the busy work IMO. I dove into it pretty deep with my DN200 and before that vaped TC with Ni coils. I had it dialed in well with my DNA and SS. I find it too much busy work for too little benefit, it's not for me. Today I'm 99.99% Mech's, I can tell when I need to drip and with tanks you just look at the level. I love the simplicity of Mech's, push the switch and Vape. Then when I can tell I need to swap batteries, just swap. Vaping on TC provides an OK Vape but IMO Mech's provide the smoothest vape that TC can't even touch let alone a regulated Mod.

That's me

Yeah, I don't want busy work either.
That's why I tried, then stored a mech mod.
I have no idea how you were doing TC, but let's walk through both, shall we?

Mech mod.
1. What coil shall I use? How many wraps of what gauge? Dual, single, something else?
2. How much power (amps) will I need to support the chosen coil?
3. Will my batteries support that for my vaping style? Long pulls vs short?
4. Begin vaping, does it 'feel' like I want? No? Back to step 1.
5. As the battery drops my vape will change. At some point I'll say, screw it it'll last a while longer.
6. Oops, let the juice get too low and got a burnt hit.
6. Profit?

Regulated mod.
1. Choose a metal for my coil, and wind something that fits the tank.
2. Put batteries in mod.
3. Set temp.
4. Vape. Does it feel like I want? No? Back to step 3.
5. As the battery level falls, I will not notice until it is very low.
6. Oops, let the juice get too low and got a weak vape.
6. Profit.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I don't want busy work either.
That's why I tried, then stored a mech mod.
I have no idea how you were doing TC, but let's walk through both, shall we?

Mech mod.
1. What coil shall I use? How many wraps of what gauge? Dual, single, something else?
2. How much power (amps) will I need to support the chosen coil?
3. Will my batteries support that for my vaping style? Long pulls vs short?
4. Begin vaping, does it 'feel' like I want? No? Back to step 1.
5. As the battery drops my vape will change. At some point I'll say, screw it it'll last a while longer.
6. Oops, let the juice get too low and got a burnt hit.
6. Profit?

Regulated mod.
1. Choose a metal for my coil, and wind something that fits the tank.
2. Put batteries in mod.
3. Set temp.
4. Vape. Does it feel like I want? No? Back to step 3.
5. As the battery level falls, I will not notice until it is very low.
6. Oops, let the juice get too low and got a weak vape.
6. Profit.
Trust me I know how to do TC and have one of if not the best TC chipsets available.

So let's revisit my statement -

" find it too much busy work for too little benefit, it's not for me. "
and
"I can tell when I need to drip and with tanks you just look at the level"
and
"Vaping on TC provides an OK Vape but IMO Mech's provide the smoothest vape that TC can't even touch let alone a regulated Mod."

If you like TC more power to you. Mech's are simple, find the right build you can't get any simpler than that. You just need to know how to build right.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I no longer TC much I am messing again with some SS claptons in a goon for funs sake right now but as @r055co said the hype overdoes the actual experience IMHO.. I fell into it hard and bought the best stuff and found myself chasing an imaginary utopia

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I tried tc a couple of times. Just wasn't for me. I may try it again at some point when I am in the mood. Lol :)

Happy Vaping Everyone! CV

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I no longer TC much I am messing again with some SS claptons in a goon for funs sake right now but as @r055co said the hype overdoes the actual experience IMHO.. I fell into it hard and bought the best stuff and found myself chasing an imaginary utopia
Yep.
Over Christmas Holiday's there was a sale on the Alpha One tank, a single coil tank. I popped a build in, vaped it on my DNA with TC for a while since I still had my 317L fused clapton profile on it. Was a decent vape but went back to my Mech's ;)

Something about the smoothness of a pure DC power with no pulsing, modulation or manipulation of the current. Yes there is a difference

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Something about the smoothness of a pure DC power with no pulsing, modulation or manipulation of the current. Yes there is a difference

Sounds strangely like a Monster Cable ad.
We went from mechs to variable voltage to variable wattage to temp control. I'll leave the wattage sideshow out.
As we got better technology, we got more people vaping.
Just based on that, it would seem that the technology got easier and people responded.

Not that there isn't a place for fiddly mechs, just like there will always be a soft spot for a 67 427 Sting Ray. But given the choice between that and an i8, not many would take the old, high horse power, scary through turns, Chevy for their daily ride. Some would for the sheer Hell of it. Me? I'll take the i8.

Origin Vape

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You are not alone! I played with TC for months and went back to variable wattage. I don't want to fiddle around, I just want to vape! =)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds strangely like a Monster Cable ad.
We went from mechs to variable voltage to variable wattage to temp control. I'll leave the wattage sideshow out.
As we got better technology, we got more people vaping.
Just based on that, it would seem that the technology got easier and people responded.

Not that there isn't a place for fiddly mechs, just like there will always be a soft spot for a 67 427 Sting Ray. But given the choice between that and an i8, not many would take the old, high horse power, scary through turns, Chevy for their daily ride. Some would for the sheer Hell of it. Me? I'll take the i8.
OK if you say so
a7e411d59a6f5da591b4176a6ee7e7df.gif

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been vaping for years now and I prefer to Vape in TC. Don't get me wrong wattage mode is completely fine and simple but I think it depends on on how you inhale. In wattage I find myself needing to take a harder draw to get a consistent hit. With TC air flow is less important . I like an open air flow but I also like to take all longer draw without needing to worry about the proper amount of air to keep the coil from getting hotter. For example when sitting at home with the family watching a moving I can take a longer , quieter draw in TC and still get the desired hit without over heating like it would in wattage. The Minikin 2 has a power curve you can use in wattage mode that works very well and I find myself when in power mode that I use the curve setting because it acts like TC.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FYI for those who want to try TC. In my experience and opinion the DNA chip offers the most consistent Vape. I never feel the power drop when my screen says "temperature protected". I use SS316L. The Minikin 2 also works very well. I Vape at 420 degrees on both and the experience is the same. The Sig 213 and Alien mods were very inconsistent in temp and constantly needed setting adjustments. Also I have noticed that TC works best with clean coils. Gunk on the coils acts like an insulator between the wire and wick causing the mod to dial back the power before desired vapor can be produced. If that make sense.

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought an RBA for my Baby Beast, and then an RBA came with my Big Baby Beast, so I've been tempted to try TC with the second RBA. Just haven't gotten around to buying the SS yet. Anyone know of a good site with prebuilt SS coils for the Baby Beast? I love the Clapton that came with the RBA...been using it a few months now.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping 5+ years. I tried it once and wasn't impressed.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought some vape geek coils that are .08 ohms in a pair. I had to use tc on my gpriv because the ohms are below .1. I am still trying to get used to it, but I am making progress. It seems to be better for a chain vapes like myself as its not getting as hot as it does in wattage mode. My .02

My biggest problem with tc is figuring out the preheat wattage.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been tinkering around with it because, well... because that's what I like to do. I go back and forth depending on the coil I have in at the time, etc... Ironically enough though, it was TC that led me to use SS316L wire, which I found out I love in regular wattage mode because of the lower resistance. Funny how things work out sometimes..

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Am I missing much?

Tap'd from my 7+

You ain't missing NUTHIN. I've tried TC, both titanium and stainless, with 2 diff devices. I was underwhelmed in the extreme.

Andria

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I messed with it for a little bit.

Too much hassle and I found that for me wattage, low wattage in fact works better with much less fuss and muss.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I messed with it for a little bit.

Too much hassle and I found that for me wattage, low wattage in fact works better with much less fuss and muss.

Yeah, that's the thing... you'd think that TC should be a good thing for low wattage vapers, since it SHOULD allow you to keep the heat down. But it cannot keep the heat down if the fucking STARTING wattage to get the coil up to selected temp is FUCKING THIRTY WATTS! That's THREE TIMES the wattage I like!!!!!!!! At least the Joyetech VT thing allowed you to select your starting wattage, retarded as that mod is; the Coolfire IV TC-18650 is a much better mod (anything from Innokin is much better than anything from Joyetech!), and it even allows stainless TC... but it starts it up at 30w, no matter how low a temp you select, so that even the very lowest possible setting is too hot.

I think that vaping at 10w or less IS temperature-control! For those who know what the hell they're doing!!

Andria

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was an early adopter of TC and have used it for MOST of my vaping needs since the beginning.

The keyword being most. I've moved to SS wire for everything so that I can swap my attys from TC mods, to non-tc regulated mods, to mechmods- without having to rebuild.

Are you missing anything? No
Some of us like to Fidget and okay with techie, nerdy things. Some like to press a button and get vapor in their mouth.
TC is still geared towards the techie, nerdy guys.

However, once you nail down that perfect vape for you, it gets less fidgety. My go to mods are the dna200 series, all of which have 8 profiles on them for different Vapes and different builds.

The nice part of it for me is the instant hit, without it getting to hot and burning; but rather its akin to flash frying and holding that temp.

However, there is still no replacing a good solid mechmod.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I tried temp control again with a single ss clapton coil and at first it worked well. Then started to get weak. Went back to plain old kanthal and nichrome. Happy there. Lol

Happy Vaping Everyone! CV

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some of us like to Fidget and okay with techie, nerdy things. Some like to press a button and get vapor in their mouth.
This right here probably sums it up best why I mess with it. When I have time to tinker I love to do so. I have to know how it works and why if it is there, otherwise why would it be. That's my thinking. LOL

VU Sponsors