Become a Patron!

All nic base not the same

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I realize all nic base isn't the same. I have noticed that there appears to be a preference on here for VT's nic. I was wondering how that compares to heartland's (which is what I've been buying - $45 for a liter of 100mg, with free shipping if spend $75).

When I poured it into a beaker, for transferring to amber glass bottles, it didn't seem measure out to a full liter, but maybe it was just me? I didn't let it sit and drain every last drop at the time; did that later and didn't add it together to see for sure if was a full liter or not.

Aside from that, though, for those that have bought from both VT and heartland, is the quality that much different between 'em? Heartland's didn't have very much yellowing to it.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've only used Heartlandvapes', It's clear and I've had no problem or reason to try others.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
45$ for a liter seems like a good price if the nic is good.. hmmmm decisions decisions

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
VT is more "gourmet" nic. It's ultra clean and many feel like it enhances the flavor of their DIY juice. If you like what you're using, no need to reinvent the wheel. Especially at the price you are getting your liters at. If you're curious..just order a small bottle and see what you think.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like math. Weird way to start a post, eh? :p

So, all USP grade nic is a minimum 99.5% pure. Is .5% worth three times more cost to you? All else being equal, that is.

Now, having read all available certificate of analysis of different vendors I know most of that .5% is water. The contaminants measure in the 0.001% range. Is 0.001% worth three times more cost to you?

Now consider that in a 100mg nic base, there is only 10% nic. That means the total with water plus other contaminants at .5% are now cut to .05% or just the contaminants at 0.001% are cut to 0.0001%. Is there a big enough difference in those numbers to justify triple the cost to you?

Of course, you are going to cut it down to something vapeable like 3-24mg. Then you are probably going to add flavor. Do you think you can taste the difference of a contaminant at something like 0.0001% in your juice? Is it worth three times the cost?

There are those that swear by one nic or another, I know. Especially when they paid around $120 for it(liter). But I watched a show on TV a couple months ago and they set up a chocolate cake taste test for a fake bakery. One square cake was said to be their premium seller. It used premium ingredients, or so they said. The other cake was their standard cake and cost a lot less. In reality, both cakes were the same. Nearly every person that tried the two cakes said the expensive cake tasted the best. They were very surprised when they were told both cakes were the same. Some didn't believe it and thought the expensive version was still better.

Fresher nic is always the better nic. And, nic in a good carrier(PG/VG). If the nic is old or oxidized/degraded it will taste different. If the nic is in bad tasting pg/vg it will taste different.

Last edited:

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sooo.... what your saying is .... "let them eat cake?" ;p

@Time - Thanx mucho for the info!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let them eat expensive cake. :p

The nicotine market for nicotine manufaturers is very small. There is no magic nicotine source. It's all pretty straight forward and simple.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use the nic from eliquid mart. Now, that is the only nic I have ever used. I don't taste anything bad and it smells like nothing to me. I only do 3.0 mg base and bought 24 mg. I realize that is a small percentage to buy. I looked at others, like wizard labs but when the shipping was half the cost of the order, I opted out. I figured it couldn't be that much better, especially when I diluted it down to my miniscule level. I looked at nude nicotine, which many seem to like. I don't know. My next purchase will probably be 60 mg nic but the 120 or 240 ml bottle of 24 mg I got has lasted me for a while. I did look at VT nic. I will say I never see anyone mention eliquid mart nic but they do mention flavors and such and the reviews on their site is good. My stuff tastes good, so like others have said, if it is good to you keep using it.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think RTSvapes' VG (and their nicotine in 100% VG) is made from non-GMO coconuts. I've never tried it and I was just on their site looking to see if the info about GMOs and coconuts was there but couldn't find it easily & gave up for the moment. But if this is true about them, those two factors are HEAVILY in their favor as far as I'm concerned.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did see RTS' nic is 100- per 100mg liter - twice that of MFS or Vaperstek TH (which, by many accounts, is still "cleaner tasting" than other nics). Still, the non-GMO thing is huge to me. I'm planning to order a small bottle of RTS' vg to sample it and hope to use it in future.

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have tried
VT
RTS
wizard labs
nude nicotine
And heartland vapes

Close tie between VT and nude as cleanest tasting. With the nod going to nude for me. That being said HV nic is good. Not as clean as the other two but also not harsh or peppery. I just can't always afford $100 for a liter. Or perhaps justify that amount.

Your opinion is all that matters but I will buy some nude and vt before the vapocalypse​

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you everyone, for your input. I appreciate it. I guess for my budget, I'll be sticking with heartland's, but will consider getting some VT or Nude when I feel like splurging and having something special stashed away before the vapeocalypse.

Vaperyan

VU Wholeseller
VU Wholeseller
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, have a good try over Hiliq's 100mg Nicotine Base for only $41.93 (discounted). You'll be happy about it.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Um has anyone used nic from ejuice4you.com ?

"War,war never changes"

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I think RTSvapes' VG (and their nicotine in 100% VG) is made from non-GMO coconuts. I've never tried it and I was just on their site looking to see if the info about GMOs and coconuts was there but couldn't find it easily & gave up for the moment. But if this is true about them, those two factors are HEAVILY in their favor as far as I'm concerned.

I used to use rtsvapes for nic and vg, originally because I hoped their VG would taste like coconut (it doesn't). Then I moved to cheaper stuff and honestly could not taste a difference. I used cheap nic and vg/pg from anyone who had a sale, until I tried VT nic. I've stuck with that.

Somewhere along the way I realized only rtsvapes knew the source of their VG. After researching VG and seeing what it CAN be made from, and seeing that nobody else could tell me the source for theirs, I came back to rtsvapes for VG - by the gallon lol. I'll stick with rtsvapes VG because of the source, although I don't detect any flavor difference versus others. And I'll stick with VT for nic because I DO taste a big difference there.

Best test for "Is my nic good enough" : Make your favorite recipe with your usual nic, and another batch with no nic. Vape them side by side. If the no-nic batch just plain tastes better, you need better nic.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nic from ejuice4u.com is great and not pricy.

"War,war never changes"

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Resurrecting this. Nic base is not all the same. Not by a long shot. I bought a small bottle of Vapers Tek nic a while ago, because of the hype. That got finished, and I was very pleased with it, so I ordered some of their TH nic.

I didn't want to crack open the liter of TH nic, so I've been vaping MFS nic for several months trying to use it up. I finally got frustrated with a somewhat harsh pepperyness that made my throat scratchy, so I finally opened the VT TH nic the other day. WOW. What a difference. No pepperyness at all. No scratchiness. Just clean, flavorless goodness. I can taste my flavors better, and more clearly. And this is their THROAT HIT nic... The cheap stuff...

This was an accidental, and unintended science experiment, I guess. BUT, it proved to me that "not all nic base is the same". To me, it clearly isn't.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried Vapor Tek nic today for the first time. I made a 2.5 mg nic base at 65/35 vg./pg. The mix appears to be very clean tasting. I realize it is only 2.5 mg. The biggest difference is the strength. My previous brand I made a 3.0 mg strength. I could drip 2-3 tanks in my RDA with no issues. With the new Vapor Tek I do one tank in my RDA and buzz time. I guess I will need to cut it down to 2 or maybe 1.5 mg for this nicotine. I am not complaining, just thought the difference in strength was interesting. In 100 mLs of base I put 2.5 mLs of 100 mg nic. That should equal 2.5 mg/mL.

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can taste nic in 6mg or better and that is with using both NN or VT lol so IMHO they are neck-n-neck:)

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can taste nic in 6mg or better and that is with using both NN or VT lol so IMHO they are neck-n-neck:)

I am not talking taste. I am talking strength . I can't taste it at all at my weak strength. Maybe I just have a headache coming causing me to have more nic affect.

I can't vape 6 mg or up any longer. Over 3 kicks my butt now. I used to do 18 mg but cut back. I would hate to see what that does now.

VapinMoody

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am not talking taste. I am talking strength . I can't taste it at all at my weak strength. Maybe I just have a headache coming causing me to have more nic affect.

I can't vape 6 mg or up any longer. Over 3 kicks my butt now. I used to do 18 mg but cut back. I would hate to see what that does now.

Sorry but that makes no sense.....6mg is 6mg.....does not matter who makes the 6mg....it is 6mg theoretically. Taste is taste and strength is strength.

I agree that all nicotine base is not the same strength wise, as who knows how precise the lab process is in reality. But you should not (feel) any difference in strength as you are saying?

Rant done

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I tried Vapor Tek nic today for the first time. I made a 2.5 mg nic base at 65/35 vg./pg. The mix appears to be very clean tasting. I realize it is only 2.5 mg. The biggest difference is the strength. My previous brand I made a 3.0 mg strength. I could drip 2-3 tanks in my RDA with no issues. With the new Vapor Tek I do one tank in my RDA and buzz time. I guess I will need to cut it down to 2 or maybe 1.5 mg for this nicotine. I am not complaining, just thought the difference in strength was interesting. In 100 mLs of base I put 2.5 mLs of 100 mg nic. That should equal 2.5 mg/mL.
It's possible that one or the other is not what it says it is. If your previous brand was low on the nic your 2.5 mg was actually less. You get used to it and now VT is really coming in at 2.5 and kicking your butt. Or VT screwed up and the 100 mg is actually higher. Looks like it's time to whip out the nic test kit to be sure.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I used Wizard Labs nic for over a year before trying VT. I don't taste a huge difference at 5mg, but my mixes are clearer with VT which is nice. If I was still vaping at 18-24 mg like I started with, I probably could taste a difference..

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ahhhh the great nicotine debate :p lol this topic comes up every couple months. I'll give you the best worst answer ever. ... You have to try them all !!!! Everyone has their favorite nic for one reason or another and sticks to their guns that their favorite is the best. Ive literally tried every brand of nic from the USA and UK now I think. There is a difference in nicotine for sure but what is best for you only you can decide. I know also thats things get popular over night for no reason but things do not stay popular very long if there is not a reason also ;)

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Exactly ... Years ago VT and NN weren't even on the scene and the top 2 nicotine sources were Xtreme Vaping and Vaping Zone. They still sell nicotine but you don't hear all that much about them anymore for some reason.

For me at least, as I've reduced my nicotine intake, it has become less and less of an issue as to how 'clean' the nicotine is.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've long since stopped "debating" nicotine base. I took the time to learn about USP grade nic last winter and became bored with the "debate". USP nic is a very small market. There are only a handful of companies that extract it for sale/use in the US.

"Siegfried, with a market valuation of 602 million francs ($685 million), produces more than half the world’s pure nicotine, used in products such as patches, gums and lozenges designed to help smokers quit."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-branded-made-in-switzerland-gets-e-cig-boost

CNT/Siegfried is the only manufacturer that, somewhat, meet VT's claims.

Here is another tid bit. ALL USP nic can be "sourced" in the US. No need to source it in EU or UK. That's the whole point of having the nic USP graded. So it can be sold in the US as USP.

http://www.nicotineusp.com/

Beware lofty claims and lofty cost. Buyer beware, that is.;)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ahhhh the great nicotine debate :p lol this topic comes up every couple months. I'll give you the best worst answer ever. ... You have to try them all !!!! Everyone has their favorite nic for one reason or another and sticks to their guns that their favorite is the best. Ive literally tried every brand of nic from the USA and UK now I think. There is a difference in nicotine for sure but what is best for you only you can decide. I know also thats things get popular over night for no reason but things do not stay popular very long if there is not a reason also ;)

Exactly. The only way to know for sure is to taste them for yourself. I can taste a big difference between WL nic and VT nic, and so obviously I'm a VT fan. But you won't know without trying, so that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself!

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Exactly. The only way to know for sure is to taste them for yourself. I can taste a big difference between WL nic and VT nic, and so obviously I'm a VT fan. But you won't know without trying, so that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself!

Yup. I'm not buying into anything here. To me, there's just a clear difference. After vaping MFS for a few months, I could tell the difference immediately.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stopped using Nude Nicotine after a very peppery batch I got a few months ago and went to Vaperstek after that. My first nic came from NicVape, but I didn't realize just how good and clean that was till I'd tried some others. I'm very glad I ordered from Nicotine River on a whim a few weeks ago. Very good stuff and come to find out, it's the same as what NicVape sells, which is NicSelect. I've been ordering a 60ml bottle every week ever since, which they've upgraded to 150ml every time for the same $8. With shipping, it's $11.94, which is good for my budget and my freezer is getting stocked nicely.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried NN when I started diy months ago... 9? Got some pepperyness from it and wasn't happy with any of my mixes, got some VT. No pepperyness at all, can't taste it.

Haven't tried any other nic since.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like the VT nic. It is no more expensive to me. I have a nude nic tester I got today but the VT I have will last me a long time.

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Best test for "Is my nic good enough" : Make your favorite recipe with your usual nic, and another batch with no nic. Vape them side by side. If the no-nic batch just plain tastes better, you need better nic.

Ahhhhh that makes sense.

Thank you master shifu :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors