Become a Patron!

All my vape pen coils only last a day, why?

eascusa

Member For 4 Years
I feel like I am the only one with this problem because I don't see anyone else talking about it. How long are coils suppose to last? For me they are literally lasting a day. I know this can't be right or know one would be vaping or very few would. I started out with smok osub 40 mini. At first it was fine using Bad Drip e-liquid but then I ran out and started using liquids like Classified Peach Cobbler, vape wild e-liquid in candy flavors which were only 65/35 and also tried Bubba juice from the Juice Man which really ate my coils up. So, I found out that sucrose is bad and to stay away from it. But the only one with sucrose is the Bubba juice. So, I stopped using it. I tried some others as well that were cheap. I know sweet juices can be harder on coils but I doubt a coil a day. So, I thought maybe it was the smok 40 itself so I went and bought the smok vape pen 22. I like vape pens and don't want to go into the others where I have to change the cotton all the time so I stuck with these types but the same thing happened. In fact it was worse. And too bad because I really like the smok vape pen 22. I bought 2 just to make sure. Again I bought different liquids. Yes, there sweet liquids but I can't find one I like that isn't sweet. :-( Then just for the heck of it I bought the ego AIO D22 and the eGo ONE vape pens and the coils only last a day as well. So, what the heck is going on? I am so frustrated. I have already made up my mind that I am going to start rebuilding them but I still would like to know why it seems I am the only one with coil trouble.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
in what context do you mean they only last 1 day?...they don't fire anymore?...they don't wick up anymore and you get dry hits?...you lose all flavor and it tastes like crap?

eascusa

Member For 4 Years
in what context do you mean they only last 1 day?...they don't fire anymore?...they don't wick up anymore and you get dry hits?...you lose all flavor and it tastes like crap?
Hi, yeah they will lose all flavor completely with about 3 or 4 hits and then 'BAM' I get a hoorible nasty metal, burnt, type of taste. It's terrible and I can't describe it really. And if I were to keep hitting it, it would continue with that awful metal burnt type taste.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you are able to adjust power on your devices you might try lowering the power (voltage /watts)...it could be youre over powering the coils and when the wick is not able to keep up to the power used you experience the type of hits you are describing..Also some tanks only play well with lower VG juice mixes...I have no experience with the device and tank you are using so I cant offer you much more to help resolve the issue...Maybe someone else has the same set up and can help farther..best of luck getting working properly.

eascusa

Member For 4 Years
I'm not able to change anything on my devices except for one and I did put the wattage lower. The others come on a setting and that's how it stay's. I also heard that about e-juice and that's why i went to the 65/35 which was lower than what I was using before but it made no difference. It's hard to find them even lower than that and when I do I wonder how much it's going to mess with the flavor. But again, it doesn't seem to be a problem with others using these same devices. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something. This is kinda how things go for me. But I insist on there being a reason and a solution. Unless people aren't saying that they are actually building their own coils or rather re-wicking them or something and not even buying coils anymore.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could it be that you're not moving enough air across the coil? A lot of newer coils/tanks are becoming less and less suitable for a mouth-to-lung style of vaping, and they need plenty of airflow. Try drawing harder and/or firing the device for a shorter period of time. Maybe this will keep the coil a little cooler with less tendency to burn. If you have an airflow adjustment, open it up.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I'm not able to change anything on my devices except for one and I did put the wattage lower. The others come on a setting and that's how it stay's. I also heard that about e-juice and that's why i went to the 65/35 which was lower than what I was using before but it made no difference. It's hard to find them even lower than that and when I do I wonder how much it's going to mess with the flavor. But again, it doesn't seem to be a problem with others using these same devices. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something. This is kinda how things go for me. But I insist on there being a reason and a solution. Unless people aren't saying that they are actually building their own coils or rather re-wicking them or something and not even buying coils anymore.

How are you breaking in the coil? What coil are you using?
You need to put some drops on the outside cotton holes and a few on the inside of the coil, also sometimes poking the outside cotton holes with a pin can help. Let the fresh coil sit in the tank for at least 10-20 minutes. Ramp up your watts if you can slowly and take short puffs, sometimes if not priming the coil properly will burn the cotton and you cannot fix it then. Sometimes some coils are not right, but your coils should be lasting more than a day. Most of the time I get my coils to last 2-3 weeks. I usually install my new coils at nite before I go to bed so that they can sit in the liquid all nite, again a few puffs, not any power and work up the wattage slowly, starting to taste burnt, dial the wattage back down.

Last edited:

eascusa

Member For 4 Years
How are you breaking in the coil? What coil are you using?
You need to put some drops on the outside cotton holes and a few on the inside of the coil, also sometimes poking the outside cotton holes with a pin can help. Let the fresh coil sit in the tank for at least 10-20 minutes. Ramp up your watts if you can slowly and take short puffs, sometimes if not priming the coil properly will burn the cotton and you cannot fix it then. Sometimes some coils are not right, but your coils should be lasting more than a day. Most of the time I get my coils to last 2-3 weeks. I usually install my new coils at nite before I go to bed so that they can sit in the liquid all nite, again a few puffs, not any power and work up the wattage slowly, starting to taste burnt, dial the wattage back down.
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, I prime my coils pretty much the same way you do. I don'y wait all night but I wait a while and that's after putting liquid in the holes and top. And then I do the dry hit thing, sucking it up without pushing the button. It's fine all day until the end of the day and then they just go bad. And I'm not even vaping constantly. If it starts getting hot I put it down. I don't have a device though where I start low and then ramp it up. There just vape pens except for my smok 40 but it doesn't do much when you mess with the wattage.

eascusa

Member For 4 Years
Could it be that you're not moving enough air across the coil? A lot of newer coils/tanks are becoming less and less suitable for a mouth-to-lung style of vaping, and they need plenty of airflow. Try drawing harder and/or firing the device for a shorter period of time. Maybe this will keep the coil a little cooler with less tendency to burn. If you have an airflow adjustment, open it up.
Yeah, I have the air fully open.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I have the air fully open.

i chain vape,, so i use a lot of ejuice 30mls/day for 7 days at a time,, could go longer but i rewick on sundays out of habit. the only times i had your problem was when i had accidently got on temp setting/too high of watts.......and constant with cotton,,i switched to rayon... your flavors may be 'gunky sweet' clogging your wick.

hope you figure it out soon

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Try a few "pre-puffs" without firing. To get the juice restarted. You can do a pre puff anytime if you are chain vaping, just to make sure your wick is staying wet. Also, store the device on it's side with airflow closed (if possible) that may help. (applies to pen styles)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're not the only one with issues. My mom enjoys vaping on vape pens with clearomizers, likely a bit different than your devices. It's a halo triton with factory coils in varying resistances from 1.8-2ohm, 2.2 - 2.4ohm and 2.6 - 2.8ohm coils. Just a thin single wire coil with a silica rope wick (pair of them, one through the coil and one above). Similar to your setups it's using non adjustable ego style batteries with an on/off fire button. I started on those as well and for months we had no issues.

I've moved to rta's and she's still using them but the last batch or so of coils have been one pump chumps. She vapes a day, goes to refill the tank, screws the top back on and when she fires it - poof, dead coil. As in no vape, no sizzle, no nada. Simply adding juice shouldn't cause a coil to die. She went through a 5 pack of coils ($12.50 + shipping worth) in as many days. The clearo's are only 2.4ml capacity so she's not vaping a ton of juice through them. Thinking maybe it was a funky battery, she bought a new halo branded ego battery. Same deal.

Contacted halo, they were less than helpful. Asked a bunch of stupid questions, then they said it's because she's using a higher mah battery and it stays at full power longer (3.7-4.2v). Apparently they failed to instruct users that their coils are only suitable for half dead batteries? I call bullshit myself. Then they suggested she go to a higher resistance coil, because obviously that's choice if the current battery is killing coils. Morons. I'm helping her get used to rta's, burning through $12+ a week is utter bullshit. The coils used to last 7-10 days.

It may just be a matter of companies cheaping out on their coils and trying to baffle their users with bullshit. Building simple coils is really easy and wire/wick are cheap. I've been vaping for over 6mo on $12 worth of cotton and wire and still have plenty left.

I know this was posted earlier this year.. but I just recently bought the Smok Vape pen 22 and have been having the same problem. I also prefer the fruitier flavors and just found out about the carmelization that can happen from the sugar in the juice being heated.

What just happened to me was this:

I put new a new coil in my pen yesterday afternoon. Vaped happily through until my first smoke break about 2 hours ago. 2 good hits, then the third was just... awful. I almost threw up. And I couldn't figure out what was going on.

So I went back inside and thought "maybe it just didn't get a chance to wick since I hit it kind of hard and fast". I let it sit for about 2 hours and went out on my second smoke break... still. freaking. awful!!

Then I remembered this thing that I saw in a YouTube video a few days ago (I can't remember the video or who did it... it was about vape tricks) and she had said something about blowing INTO the vape before hitting it to clear out any leftover yuck stuff that might make it taste bad. So I gave it a good blow into the mouthpiece and hit it again...

It tasted FANTASTIC again!! I'm not sure if me blowing through it knocked something loose/out that might have been stuck to the coils.. or if its just some kind of vape miracle, but it seems to be working.

Before every hit, I'm just gonna blow through it a little bit without firing and then fire and pull like normal. If anything changes and it goes back to being bad, I'll repost and let you the method didn't hold up.. If it does keep working then you probably won't hear from me on this thread again. ^.^

Good luck!!!!

VU Sponsors