Become a Patron!

Advice on a build for my box mod.

lyftication

Member For 4 Years
I have a Hexohm box mod. It goes up to 110 watts. When I build too low it burns the cotton very fast. But if I build too high it's not warm and there is less flavor and takes longer to produce vapor. My question is, using kanthal where should I be at when I put my atomizer on my ohm meter. I'm thinking maybe a .5 but parallel that way it has more surface area and is still warm but I wanted advice from other people before I wasted kanthal on a build I don't like. I'm content with what I'm getting but I'd like something with a lot more vapor and flavor and I know with a 110 watt box I can get a lot of both with the right build. Any advice on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What guages wire you have and what atty

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also you can adjust the pot to change the voltage output to suit any build if its to hot turn it down to cool crank it up

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a Hexohm box mod. It goes up to 110 watts. When I build too low it burns the cotton very fast.

This is poor wicking, and/or wick fit-in-coil.

But if I build too high it's not warm.

This is heat flux value. Coil radiant heat, expressed in mW/mm2... or milliwatts per millimeter squared.

and there is less flavor

Too much heat, without adequate air flow and wicking can cause a loss of flavor.

and takes longer to produce vapor.

This is called "heat capacity". This is a value representing "time to temperature". The higher the value, the longer the time to temp.

My question is, using kanthal where should I be at when I put my atomizer on my ohm meter.

There can be hundreds, thousands of options here. Telling you something, and it being right for you are two different things. I'd rather teach you how to sort it out yourself.
If you were a mech user, you have Ohm's law as your guide. As a high watt VW user... you can force wattage to builds that are less than optimal. This is your error... unbalanced builds.

I'm thinking maybe a .5 but parallel that way it has more surface area and is still warm

Again... those values mean nothing without build and applied power specifics, as well as the atomizer used, to determine internal volume and potential performance.

but I wanted advice from other people before I wasted kanthal on a build I don't like. I'm content with what I'm getting but I'd like something with a lot more vapor and flavor and I know with a 110 watt box I can get a lot of both with the right build. Any advice on this?
Taptalk... means you may not see the hyperlink siglines below.

I need to know what wire gauges you have on hand, what the exact build is and wattage that you are "content" with. From that, I can calculate all the variables, tell you where you've gone wrong... and how to make if much better. I'll also tell you why it's better. Deal?

lyftication

Member For 4 Years
I usually use 24g kanthal. I have a dual coil at the moment wraps 4/5 half raps around a 3mm bit. It reads .2 ohms. And what I want is something more compatible with me turning the wattage to 110 watts that will still produce flavor and more vapor. My wicking is fine. I just want to get the best out of my mod as in most possible flavor and most possible vapor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dual 22g 8 wrap around a 3mm rod that will give you the most surface area and 110 w
Your kinda stuck at a .2 for max power. So thicker wire for more surface area. 22g is probably your best bet.

VU Sponsors