Become a Patron!

Advice for a novice please

After quitting the dreaded weed 4 months ago, I have graduated to a vaping set-up of a Eleaf istick 20W 5.5v Mod.(I think that's what their called) with it a Nautilus mini adjustable tank system. I started using it and the mod is great battery lasts all day and now being able to change the wattage perfect. But the tank heats up and spits and pops at me, to the extent that I can taste the juice, which must be wrong. I have switched back to my Kanger Tech T3D with its original filter which works great. I have had spitting problems with dual coal filters as well that seem to do the same thing. Any recommendation please for the best filters for both or other suable tanks.
DarMok.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi...congratulations on quitting and picking up vaping! In time you'll find you love it and hopefully never look back.

It's normal for tanks to have that "popping" and "crackling" sound. That is the sound of the liquid being vaporized....all coils do that. Some are louder and more pronounced, some are quiet and barely noticeable. But all make that sound vaporizing liquid...I'd be more worried if you said your tanks didn't make that sound.

If I am understanding you correctly what you are telling me is that both the T3D and your Nautilus Mini BVC coils are both getting warm and spitting juice in your mouth off the coils right? One thing I have to ask is how hard of pulls do you take off your tanks? Vaping has a lighter draw than cigarettes, although the T3D is a fairly stiff pull....taking too hard of draw can cause you to suck up juice before it has a chance to vaporize...try taking a slightly lighter pull and see if that helps. If that does nothing than I have another question...

If that is not the case and it's not an airflow issue than I have to ask what power level are you running your tanks at? If you're chain vaping at max power then it's normal for the tanks to get warm...the coils in those tanks are in small chambers and taking several hits at high power is normal for them to warm up quite a bit. A tank coil is basically a simple heating element and if you run it as hot as you can for several drags, especially if your taking several long drags back to back, it's going to warm things up quite a bit. Coils towards the end of their useful life will also heat tanks up more as they are gunked up and the gunk on the coil keeps in the heat like an ember smoldering on a fire.

Also, if you're pushing your coils at max and rapidly chain vaping it is possible for the tank to "spit" juice from the rapid heating and cooling...also, if you're power is turned down low it is possible for your coil to spit as there may be more juice wicked on the coil than it can vaporize at the current level so the juice is again excited by the rapid change in environment but isn't hot enough to completely vaporize. We've all got a bit of juice in our mouth from time to time.

I don't know if this is any help but I know there is an adjustment going to vaping from smoking and each tank has a different airflow and a different draw. As for the right coils...that depends on your power level with those tanks....Always use authentic Aspire BVC Nautilus/Nautilus Mini coils for that Nautilus Mini and authentic Kanger dual coils for the T3D...with the T3D tank I would not use a resistance lower than the 1.2 ohm coils to keep it cooler as you're worried about the amount of heat coming off of it. Once you answer back we can go from there and see if there is something else.

I am sorry your tanks are giving you issues. Sometimes since those coils are such mass produced you can get a bad one

Thank you so much for the detail in your explanations, as it happens, I had to change the coil on my Nautilus Mini tank, due to my awkwardness in refilling it and this coil seems to be working fine. I have some problems with emphysema, so I don't draw to hard, as for the new istick mod, I have had the setting at between 3.5 - 4.5 volts, which seems to be enough for me. I realize this will be a learning process in this new world of vaping, but there are so many different, mods, tanks, coils and most of all juices out there that it does become very confusing. I have settled on my own mix of two Virginia juices, half from a local store and the other half on-line from Puffin E-Liquid, which for now anyway suits me.
Thank You, for taking the time to answer my questions, this seems like a good forum, with a friendly membership and I hope that in time I can do the same for others.
All the best. DarMok.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just take your time, experiment a bit and learn your gear.

Brand new coils are operating at peak performance and if you don't hear ANYTHING your hearing is as bad as mine is or something is wrong.

And no, you don't want to pull hard to get the vapor. Take it into you mouth slowly and then inhale.

And continue to ask any question that pops into your head.

We were all new once and compared to the gear that is available now, the stuff I had at first was crap and gave me so many problems I was sorely tempted at one time to give up vaping entirely.

I have tried after reading what 'madmonkey' had said about vaping being a lighter draw, which works and you saying about taking the viper into your mouth first, before inhaling, is something I was doing but thought I was doing it the wrong way. All of this advice really helps. Thank you both.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am glad we could help...everyone here on the forum is really nice and is more than happy to help you if we can. Like RJ said, we all started out not knowing anything about vaping and the vape gear now days is sooo much better than even what we had a year ago and way way better than the T2 and Vivi Nova clearomizer tanks I started on a year and a half ago...it took me awhile of vaping and smoking to fully make the switch...ironically I ended up doing it on carto tanks which was even older tech than what was available to the vaping community at the time. But that is what worked best for me...

Vaping is a personal journey for all of us that we all share a common bond in that 99 percent of us here all started vaping to quit smoking. Different gear works best for different people and it's important to remember that if what you are using now makes you happy then you don't have to go out and buy a new set up every week or instantly dive into rebuilding and trying to blow the biggest clouds. Just learn to get the best vape out of the gear you have and enjoy it for awhile...and when the time comes, (if the time comes....a lot of people stay happy with the setup they start with,) we will be here to help you take the next step.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have...it's better to ask than be unsure and have a crappy vape experience...happy vaping and again..welcome :)

VU Sponsors