Become a Patron!

Absolute best NON-Sony Sub-Ohm Batts

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been shopping around looking for a good set of dependable SAFE batteries. As with any vaper, you will hear everything and anything about them. But we all just wanna keep our teeth and fingers. Yes, I have a pair of Sonys but I just don't trust them anymore, so i bought an Efest(yes i know) but its done great and now i have Samsungs? They're light blue with white label. But ive heard of 40A Imren batts, anyone know about these? Or have suggestions of a good brand except Sony? I vape around .15 ohms-mech mod

Mooch

Member For 4 Years
The Imrens are 20A batteries, at best.
You can't go wrong with LG or Samsung, if you don't want Sony.

What power levels/ohms are you vaping at? What mods?

Last edited:

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Imrens are 20 batteries, at best.
You can't go wrong with LG or Samsung, if you don't want Sony.

What power levels/ohms are you vaping at? What mods?
Ok, thats what i was gonna go for. The Sonys are just so hard to find, especially if theyre real. And then I saw those 40A Imren's and I was thinking about leaning that way. But I only sub-ohm around .15-.2 with a Fuhattan mech mod, Doge X2 RDA

Mooch

Member For 4 Years
You can try LG HD2's. Equal to the VTC4 when pulsed. Otherwise you can try these places for genuine VTC4's...

Liionwholesale
Orbtronic
Illumn
RTDVapor
IMRBatteries

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What is about the sony you dont trust anymore?

You may not wanna hear it but the sony VTC4 is still the king for low sub ohm vaping unless you want a much lower capacity in which the LG HB6 is the king of amps but only 1500 mah.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agree with Mooch. The HD2 is a very good 25A cell. The 100mAh ndifference is neither here nor there.

For builds at the 0.15 point, I'm more comfortable using LG HB6. They're a 30A cell. Only 1500mAh, bit handle high loads amazingly well. Expect the same kind of life as VTC3. I have quite a few of them.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What is about the sony you dont trust anymore?

You may not wanna hear it but the sony VTC4 is still the king for low sub ohm vaping unless you want a much lower capacity in which the LG HB6 is the king of amps but only 1500 mah.
Its not that I dont trust sony. I dont trust places that sell them anymore. There are so many fakes out there, its the most replicated battery around, anybody or site can say theyre legit. Also, theyre too expensive because of previous said reasons. Its a great battery, i just want an alternative and i think i found it. Gonna do more research but found a 2500mah 40A and 3000mah 35A. I dont wanna say the brand cause i just found it, and if it is as great as they say they are. The price will shooooot up. If they are legit, Ill post the info on here.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can try LG HD2's. Equal to the VTC4 when pulsed. Otherwise you can try these places for genuine VTC4's...

Liionwholesale
Orbtronic
Illumn
RTDVapor
IMRBatteries
Lol just figured out the batts I looked at, you already tested, they were the AWT's

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know a lot of those companies personally. They don't get legit Sony batteries, and haven't for a long time. I spent two months qualifying their supply chains in the beginning of Battery Bro last year (factory inspections and so forth). So heads up... stick with LG and Samsung.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And btw guys, the Samsung 18650 has a 20A continuous but a 100A pulse!!! Or so they say....anyways I'm vaping a .12 on it and its doing good

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And btw guys, the Samsung 18650 has a 20A continuous but a 100A pulse!!! Or so they say....anyways I'm vaping a .12 on it and its doing good

A pulse is current / time. The 25R spec sheet listed a test with the following pulses:
  • 95A < 0.5 sec, 65A < 1 sec, 40A < 5 sec, 30A < 6 sec

So if you were to do 95A, you should only do them for half a second. Is this safe? Probably not. It's definitely not something you would want to do near your face either.

Keep current at 20A or lower and be happy, safe, and don't stress your battery. Although, the 25R can probably handle 30A in 6 second pulses safely too. But that's totally at your discretion. If you follow Samsung's advice, you won't draw more than 20A of current.

Mooch

Member For 4 Years
A pulse is current / time. The 25R spec sheet listed a test with the following pulses:
  • 95A < 0.5 sec, 65A < 1 sec, 40A < 5 sec, 30A < 6 sec

So if you were to do 95A, you should only do them for half a second. Is this safe? Probably not. It's definitely not something you would want to do near your face either.

Keep current at 20A or lower and be happy, safe, and don't stress your battery. Although, the 25R can probably handle 30A in 6 second pulses safely too. But that's totally at your discretion. If you follow Samsung's advice, you won't draw more than 20A of current.

I agree, but...
Those pulse length numbers are a spec meant for a multi-cell pack protection circuit though, not the battery. It's meant as an emergency current limit, one time or rare use only, that can't be used as a spec for repeated use with a 25R. There's no duty cycle or temperature spec that would normally accompany these pulse numbers if they were a battery spec.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree, but...
Those pulse length numbers are a spec meant for a multi-cell pack protection circuit though, not the battery.

Well it's just discharge test conditions for one of the tests on their data sheet. It's important for power-tools. It is NOT test of the BMS, it IS a test of an individual 25R cell.

The way the pulse discharge test works is they pulse it a few hundred times until the capacity has run out. In this sense it is a sort of repeated use test. They are rated to handle these high pulse discharges for hundreds of consecutive uses.

upload_2015-9-23_15-58-19.png

Mooch

Member For 4 Years
Arrgghhh...dangit...I thought you were using these numbers...

image.jpg

My mistake, sorry for the confusion.
The Samsung introduction presentation document does list 100A as a spec (for <1 sec). But without duty cycle info, it can't be used as a spec. IMO, if it was a spec it would have been listed in the Specification of Product document. Being in the Intro document for me means it's a feature of the cell, but not a spec.

The battery can survive the discharge profile you posted quite well (which I have always thought was pretty amazing), but in my opinion we can't extract the 95A value from it and say that 25R's can handle 0.5 sec. 95A pulses. One, yes. :) But not as a general spec.

Last edited:

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I ran into this post. I ordered a snow wolf and would like a good a good set of batteries. I have a pair of Samsung 25r and want to order at least another pair of something good. I was looking at the Sony lg or Samsung again. I don't go below a .15. Any recommendations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I ran into this post. I ordered a snow wolf and would like a good a good set of batteries. I have a pair of Samsung 25r and want to order at least another pair of something good. I was looking at the Sony lg or Samsung again. I don't go below a .15. Any recommendations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Sony is always a good choice, but as I said earlier, theyre are alot of fakes and tend to be more expensive, but at .15 ohms, youre pulling around 30 amps, so if you go by continuous discharge, the Sony is it. Vapers do pulse discharge though, so the Samsung and LG are fine too. They are around 20 amp continuous, but with vaping and in my opinion, any of the big 3 batt companies Sony, Samsung, LG will be completely safe at .15 ohms. When you go below that is when you have to be concerned of safety a little more. Just pay attention to heat of your battery.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you have a regulated mod, and draw from the battery 20+ amps average (RMS) , the regulator is pulsing at 40+ amps. Maybe closer to 60.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly, i think as long as you are pulsing, and this is my opinion, you can build down to .09 ohms, now below that is what I call the danger zone. Ive seen people down to .03, kinda crazy but they do it. And i mean with Sony, LG, Samsung.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Liionwholesale
Orbtronic
Illumn
RTDVapor
IMRBatteries
MOOCH ;d i am going to assume you are the same one that helped me elsewhere with my battery needs. This guy is legit when it comes to battery info

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys just curious. Does anyone have a pic of what the authentic lg hg2s are to look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonculp

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Those are INR though, Id use IMR for subohm vaping

I am curious what your reasoning is for IMR over INR. I have close to 30 18650's. None rated below 15A, and well over half are INR. Did I invest poorly?

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am curious what your reasoning is for IMR over INR. I have close to 30 18650's. None rated below 15A, and well over half are INR. Did I invest poorly?
If you're not sub-ohm vaping, you will be fine, but its not a big deal, IMR is just little better in my opinion because it is harder for it to go into thermal runaway and if it does, it is not as violent as INR or ICR, I dont want that to scare you, because INR are a great choice as well, but because of those reasons, I like IMR

Mooch

Member For 4 Years
If you're not sub-ohm vaping, you will be fine, but its not a big deal, IMR is just little better in my opinion because it is harder for it to go into thermal runaway and if it does, it is not as violent as INR or ICR, I dont want that to scare you, because INR are a great choice as well, but because of those reasons, I like IMR

Hmmm... :)

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I think I posted this elsewhere, but I just bought a couple of LG HG2's. I LOVE THEM!!!!! I'm using them in my Sigelei 75wtc with a Ti coil .6 at 380 degrees and 40 watts. I'm getting significantly more battery life. I with normal all day vaping I get well over 24 hours, closer to 36. I love my HE4's, but these HG2's are working much better in my single battery devices.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm planning on using the hg2s in my snow wolf. Hopefully all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooch

Member For 4 Years
What about he4 batts?

In my opinion, the HE4's are right up there in the same neighborhood as the VTC5's, maybe a bit under the 25R. May not see any difference in actual use though...sooo many other variables. Haven't compared them yet to VTC4's and HD2's.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, Im gonna post this for you guys, shows the maH and Max Continuous of each battery

Sony
image.jpg

LG
image.jpg

Samsung
image.jpg

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I posted this elsewhere, but I just bought a couple of LG HG2's. I LOVE THEM!!!!! I'm using them in my Sigelei 75wtc with a Ti coil .6 at 380 degrees and 40 watts. I'm getting significantly more battery life. I with normal all day vaping I get well over 24 hours, closer to 36. I love my HE4's, but these HG2's are working much better in my single battery devices.
Glad to hear this! I'm getting poor battery life in mine using the HE2s - at 70w it cuts off around 3.7, which is barely half a tank!

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Actually, the VTC5 is a 20A battery. The highest discharge in its Tech Info document is 20A and it tested out to 20A for me.
Ohh ok, always heard the vtc series are all 30A, thanks

VU Sponsors