Become a Patron!

A Tip for New Builders and Reminder for Old Ones

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At this point everybody who's been around here awhile knows me and knows that I should have at least some fleeting idea of what I'm doing by now.

A bit embarrassing, but here we go.

One of my all time fav setups is the Odin Mini 75c (I got from @gadget! ) and the authentic Kayfun Lite 2019 (with the improved deck)

I whipped up a simple build of 28ga 316L wrapped with 38ga 316L. Wound up a 2.5 and put it in the deck :) So far so good right?

Wrong.

On the ohm reader at first I was getting 6.6, but now I'm getting resistances all over the place. .68 (about right, give or take) down to .14 (definitely NOT right) . When firing it especially.

I open up the RTA and the coil is perfectly centered and screws are tight. No visible shorts.

I throw it on Escribe and sure enough atomizer analyzer has resistance jumping all over the place too. It sees what the mod is sending after all.

Ok, must have some gunk or a short or something in the mod somewhere, so I take the mod all apart, examine all the connections and clean them with electronics spray. Everything looks good in there too. No visible shorts, but there was some gunky gooey juice, mostly around the 510 assembly, which I worked around with an allen key with the cleaner.

Put it back together... same thing. WHAT... is going on here?!?!

On a whim I put it on my other Odin Mini 75c and it's all jacked up on that mod too. Also, the other Kayfun on that mod reads fine on the black one I'm wrestling with.

Obviously now, it's something with the atomizer.

So after staring at everything for minute, I take the tank off the apparently offending Kayfun, and put the deck back on the mod by itself.

PRESTO :D Everything is fine.

Got out the reading glasses. Turns out there is the tiniest little nub from where I cut one of the legs, just barely, and I do mean BARELY protruding from the post/screw.

Trim that down right up against the post and it's fine. :wait:

That's like vaping 101. Always make sure your coil legs don't touch the cap. It was just enough to be brushing up against the inside of the cap and the heat must have caused some minor expansion and contraction. Apparently not enough to trigger the short protection.

In my own defense, there's not much room for error in that tight Kayfun deck and tiny chamber, but all I would have had to have done was test the deck by itself and would have saved an hour of needless troubleshooting.

I guess it's human nature to forget the basics after a while sometimes.

Don't do that.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As a lowly pole monkey technician on the Death Star, I troubleshoot fiber optic and copper circuits all day. I feel your pain.
I always say it's the self inflicted stuff that's the worst....🤬

VU Sponsors