Become a Patron!

(A Review) Velocity RDA clone by Tobeco

NIMBUS MAXIMUS

Member For 4 Years
Velocity RDA clone by Tobeco

My first review…. So be gentle.:)

I normally would never buy a first-run product, but I just had to try it. Less than $20.00 shipped from the Vaping Walrus pushed me right over the edge.

And I’m glad I jumped!

Comes with O-rings, allen wrench, 510 adaptor, chuff style tip and extra grub screws.

I bought the stainless version and it has a brushed finish that looks really good. The exterior of the top and bottom caps is nearly flawless, no tooling or machine marks. The threading is nowhere near perfect, but absolutely functional and smooth.

Everything screws together nice and tight, but visibly there’s some unappealing machine work on the threads. (pics) It does not bother me at all, but I wanted to mention everything I see. The o-rings hold everything together at a comfortable tension. The base slides out with a pull from your fingers, but it’s not too loose. There is NO option for single coil air flow.

The large (chuff style) drip-tip screws into the bottom cap, so there’s no need for o-rings. The 510 adaptor fits in the same way. I really like this tip design; however, I can see people stripping the delrin threads if they over tighten them. (Tip and adaptor are delrin) There’s a noticeable and positive “stop” when the threads bottom out, but you know that someone is going to crank on it and strip them.

The deck has a ton of tool and machine marks, both in the juice well and on the posts. Again, does not affect function and you only see them when you’re building. Building on this Velocity deck is a dream! So many options, Vertical coils would probably be a snap, and stacked coils, too. Mind you, I’m a novice builder, but I can see the potential for a seasoned builder to go coil nuts! The grub screws trap the wire with relative ease, and the post holes are large enough for about anything. Negative post is milled into the deck.

The only downside to building on this deck is that you have to build closer to the posts. The bottom cap “steps in” as it nears the Cyclops air holes and sits on the rim of the deck. It’s kind of hard to explain, but your coils will be extremely close to the cap and possibly touch if you don’t build in towards the posts. (See pics) I had to go back and move my coils away from the cap. I did strip a grub screw, but it was my fault.

The 510 connection pin comes silver plated and protrudes enough for use on hybrid mods. (Well, this one did anyway) The pin itself looked like someone installed it with a screwdriver that was too small leaving a couple of raised edges. I had to get a needle file and flatten the spots out so there would be a solid connection. I lost the silver plating when I filed it and the pin looks like it’s copper. The center post is easily removed with a flathead screwdriver.

The flavor and vapor production are only limited by your build. I built it with dual twisted 24g Kanthal, 3mm inside diameter, 7 wraps @ .26 Ohms. I tested it on my Brother’s Sigelei @ 80-100watts and it was the best vape I have personally had! Massive clouds and awesome flavor, I mean, I’ve never tasted my juice like this. The delrin chuff cap stayed cool even at 100 watts! I got the best vape (with this build) with the Cyclops holes wide open and the indirect airflow closed. With all the airflow holes wide open there’s a ton of air movement.

I am still a noob, but this RDA is my new go-to!:cool: Pick one up, you’ll love it! I’ll be happy to try and answer any questions ya’ll may have. And if you want a specific picture taken and posted, just ask.

Thanks!

Pics to follow………..

velocity 1.JPG velocity 2.JPG velocity 3.JPG velocity 4.JPG velocity 5.JPG velocity 6.JPG velocity 7.JPG velocity 8.JPG velocity 9.JPG velocity 10.JPG

Last edited:

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very nice first review. And very nice build also. I have really been thinking about getting one of these, Thanks for the review think I will pic one up.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the review. Nicely done! I might get one myself too. That would be RDA number 48. :D

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Holy guacamole, Batman! 48! I better be careful or I'll be right there with you.:eek: Only 45 to go! I'm already looking for my next one. :cool:

Thanks!
It seems, I'm buying one new RDA a week lately. Gives me more choices for testing my DIY juices.

NIMBUS MAXIMUS

Member For 4 Years
3 week update

I love this RDA even more after some serious use. I've vaped very low builds (0.16) all the way up to 1-ohm+ and have not been disappointed. The hype surrounding this RDA is absolutely warranted. IMHO;)

However, a problem has reared its ugly head. The allen wrench that comes with the RDA is a tad bit too small, and I have stripped another grub screw. The grub screws themselves seem to be on the soft side, so a properly sized allen key is paramount. The proper size is 1.5mm and I have been using one that I had in my tool box to great success. If you use the provided allen key, take extra care not to over tighten.

NIMBUS MAXIMUS

Member For 4 Years
Great review, Would you guys say that the Tobeco version of this RDA is the best one?

I don't know if it's the best out there at the moment, but it's definitely a good one! I highly recommend this Tobeco version. I would stick to the stainless steel version for now.

Morbidly-o-Beats

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great review, Would you guys say that the Tobeco version of this RDA is the best one?

Awesome to see another BLS fan on here. I have SDMF tatted on my chest. Chicago chapter here. Also solid review plan on grabbing one of these.

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
3 week update

I love this RDA even more after some serious use. I've vaped very low builds (0.16) all the way up to 1-ohm+ and have not been disappointed. The hype surrounding this RDA is absolutely warranted. IMHO;)

However, a problem has reared its ugly head. The allen wrench that comes with the RDA is a tad bit too small, and I have stripped another grub screw. The grub screws themselves seem to be on the soft side, so a properly sized allen key is paramount. The proper size is 1.5mm and I have been using one that I had in my tool box to great success. If you use the provided allen key, take extra care not to over tighten.
How is the flavor on it? Yea I've heard that the grub screws get stripped with the Allen key provided. Do you know if the Allen key for the freakshow mini or the vector rda are the correct size by any chance?

Last edited:

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know if it's the best out there at the moment, but it's definitely a good one! I highly recommend this Tobeco version. I would stick to the stainless steel version for now.
Do you know where one could go to successfully procure replacement screws and a properly fitted Allen key? I went to Home Depot and spent the better part of nearly three hours with an employee there trying to match a screw to it but everything they had was just a bit too big. I was very disappointed and frustrated to say the least. Any useful suggestions or advice would be tremendously appreciated, thanks

Ps. How is the flavor and vapor production on the device?

NIMBUS MAXIMUS

Member For 4 Years
Do you know where one could go to successfully procure replacement screws and a properly fitted Allen key? I went to Home Depot and spent the better part of nearly three hours with an employee there trying to match a screw to it but everything they had was just a bit too big. I was very disappointed and frustrated to say the least. Any useful suggestions or advice would be tremendously appreciated, thanks

Ps. How is the flavor and vapor production on the device?

Sorry for the late reply.

The screws that Avid Vaper sells for the Authentic Velocity will work with this clone. They sell a slotted screw version that I use and love. Here's a link.... http://www.avidvaper.com/velocity-slotted-set-screws/ They're very popular and are out of stock frequently, but you can have them email you when they're available. I don't know the size of the screws.

The flavor will surprise you, and this RDA can chuck the vapor with the best of them. It might take a little time to find the perfect flavor build, but it does have an inherently good flavor quality. Airflow adjustment is endless, so there's no doubt you'll find the sweet spot for flavor.

Last edited:

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry for the late reply.

The screws that Avid Vaper sells for the Authentic Velocity will work with this clone. They sell a slotted screw version that I use and love. Here's a link.... http://www.avidvaper.com/velocity-slotted-set-screws/ They're very popular and are out of stock frequently, but you can have them email you when they're available. I don't know the size of the screws.

The flavor will surprise you, and this RDA can chuck the vapor with the best of them. It might take a little time to find the perfect flavor build, but it does have an inherently good flavor quality. Airflow adjustment is endless, so there's no doubt you'll find the sweet spot for flavor.
Np bro, it happens we all have lives lol, I just appreciate/am thankful anytime I receive a non-trolling ie practical and/or useful reply at all
Yea, so I went ahead and got the stainless tobeco clone. I've experienced glimpses of its potential, but they're all too fleeting. So far I haven't nailed the right build on her. On the good-news side of things: my vector rda Allen key is a 100% perfect fit for the velocity (and the Sapor rda, which btw totally blew me away with how remarkably good it is). I've tried a 7 wrap dual coil 24 gauge with 3 mm id coming out to .35 ohms (iirc) and dual Clapton coils with 2.5 mm id that came out to a very surprising .55 (was shocked by how high the resistance was, maybe I should just try the same Clapton build with less wraps...?) btw the Clapton build was 30 gauge claptoned around 26 gauge. What builds have worked well for you? The Clapton is ok but takes soooo long to ramp up. I'm also getting a ridiculous amount of leaking through the mouth parts of the afc every time I drip, but I'm not dripping that much, especially considering the tremendous juice well...do I need to build my coils closer to the posts? Sorry for the essay I wrote you, I'm just kinda stumped with this one atm, but I only just got her. Anyway, any advice/recommendations you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and happy vaping my cloudy compatriot lol = ]

Last edited:

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well i guess this is my next purchase :D i was looking through the interwebs and found this and between your review and the youtube review i think i found my first RDA haha i jus toosted a thread about this but i guess this awnsers most my questions thanks for the review!

NIMBUS MAXIMUS

Member For 4 Years
Np bro, it happens we all have lives lol, I just appreciate/am thankful anytime I receive a non-trolling ie practical and/or useful reply at all
Yea, so I went ahead and got the stainless tobeco clone. I've experienced glimpses of its potential, but they're all too fleeting. So far I haven't nailed the right build on her. On the good-news side of things: my vector rda Allen key is a 100% perfect fit for the velocity (and the Sapor rda, which btw totally blew me away with how remarkably good it is). I've tried a 7 wrap dual coil 24 gauge with 3 mm id coming out to .35 ohms (iirc) and dual Clapton coils with 2.5 mm id that came out to a very surprising .55 (was shocked by how high the resistance was, maybe I should just try the same Clapton build with less wraps...?) btw the Clapton build was 30 gauge claptoned around 26 gauge. What builds have worked well for you? The Clapton is ok but takes soooo long to ramp up. I'm also getting a ridiculous amount of leaking through the mouth parts of the afc every time I drip, but I'm not dripping that much, especially considering the tremendous juice well...do I need to build my coils closer to the posts? Sorry for the essay I wrote you, I'm just kinda stumped with this one atm, but I only just got her. Anyway, any advice/recommendations you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and happy vaping my cloudy compatriot lol = ]

If you're building Claptons then you have way more knowledge about building than me.:) I've never even attempted something like that, but I can tell you what works for me. My go-to build for everyday style, flavorful vaping is a dual 10 wrap 26g with a 3mm I.D. @ .8 Ohms. I vape that @ around 40 watts with the main oblong holes open about 1.5 mm and the indirect holes completely closed. I use 50/50 blend e-juice and I personally get fantastic flavor and a very enjoyable vape. It's the only RDA I use for ADV anymore. I definitely build in towards the posts more than usual with the Velocity, but I still get some leaking from the air holes. I would consider the amount leaking I personally experience absolutely acceptable and no more than any other RDA I have tried.

Well i guess this is my next purchase :D i was looking through the interwebs and found this and between your review and the youtube review i think i found my first RDA haha i jus toosted a thread about this but i guess this awnsers most my questions thanks for the review!

You're welcome. It's definitely a good choice!

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI: For those of you Velocity users annoyed by the endless ejuice seeping from the upper bell, it is easily solved with aluminum tape to cover the indirect air flow holes (most never use them). Worked the trick for me. It can be applied directly to the outside of the lower cap section to cover the holes with a 4mm wide strip. The tape is very thin and doesn't even contact the upper bell cap when it's re-installed. Pic below. Basically, blindfold the robot! o_O

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 320

Das Bund

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was just thinking of getting this and with all these great post I'm definitely going to purchase one right now. That tip with the aluminum tape sounds like a good idea also. Thanks everyone and especially OP for a great review.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was just thinking of getting this and with all these great post I'm definitely going to purchase one right now. That tip with the aluminum tape sounds like a good idea also. Thanks everyone and especially OP for a great review.
I got the velocity MINI by Tobeco. Supposed to have slightly better flavor than the original size. I can't confirm that, but I will say it's the best dual coil RDA I have ever bought. It lives on my iStick 100W, never comes off.

Das Bund

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it a few days ago (Velocity Mini) right after my last post and man do I love it. Got some pre Claptoned wire so I could just wrap a coil, install and wick. It vapes beautifully. I am very happy with it I also got it from Vaping Walrus which I was also very happy with their prices and fast shipping.
vaping walrus vm.jpg
Dual Clapton on the Velocity Mini.
dual clapton velocity mini.jpg

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual Clapton on the Velocity Mini.
View attachment 35005[/QUOTE]

What are your ohms and preferred watts for your build?
I tried a clapton build but wasn't impressed. Right now I'm just running a simple 0.3 ohm 24 gauge dual build which I prefer.

Das Bund

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@mkhilario This dual Clapton is reading at 0.58 on my eVic VTC currently and I'm running it at about 67-70watts. At 67w I find it to be a cooler vape and has a bit of a ramp up time (about a second and a half). At 70w it hits right of the bat and is a bit warmer, thats where I like it right now. I think it taste great and gives off a lot a vapor. It could be better though in the future I'm going to do less wraps to get the ohms lower because I like a warmer vape.

I know this thread is older. I'm wanting to get the Tobeco Velocity v2 or the Mini but perplexed on which to get. I need a RDA that can squonk. Current setup is a Kanger dripbox 160. Just wondering which is better with flavor at watts around 30-45 watts? Also which is best for squonking, is it easy to over squonk with the mini?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I know this thread is older. I'm wanting to get the Tobeco Velocity v2 or the Mini but perplexed on which to get. I need a RDA that can squonk. Current setup is a Kanger dripbox 160. Just wondering which is better with flavor at watts around 30-45 watts? Also which is best for squonking, is it easy to over squonk with the mini?
If your vaping at 30-45 watts that means your builds will be smaller so I'd say get the mini. The full size might have too much air and mute the flavors of your build. I don't have a mini but i have the v2 from tobecco and my builds i put in are 80 watts usually and it gives really good flavor, but has a lot of air, a build half that would probably taste muted

VU Sponsors