Become a Patron!

A question regarding VTC5s and regulated mods

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, a couple days ago I mentioned that I'm thinking of getting into regulated mods. So, I have another question regarding regulated mods. The VTC5, as stated on liionwholesale.com, has a Max Continuous Discharging Current: 30A (with temperature cutoff circuitry at 80 degrees [I assume the temp is in C otherwise they'd overheat in my pocket]). What I'm wondering is if this would be suitable for a regulated mod that requires a 30 amp MCD. Do high power mods (like 150s) have circuitry like this? Also, 150 is technically just pushing the limits of a 20 amp battery, not technically surpassing it correct?

This is just shit I'm thinking about before buying anything.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
1) I don't believe any regulated mods have high temperature battery circuitry. We're not a vaping company though so I can't speak to this conclusively, would love to hear if anyone has more experience with it.
2) I looked at some of the often used mod chipsets like the Yihi 150W and it lists having a "high temperature cutoff", but that will be measured on the circuit board which may or may not get much of the battery temperature to it. I also have no idea what temperature it cuts off at, it's not generally listed in their specs. It's possible if it's a pretty low temperature and/or the battery compartment heat conducts well to the sensor that it would cut off before the battery ever gets that hot, but that would require testing with a particular mod.
3) Some of them don't have any high temperature cutoff at all

So basically...I'd say no, they don't have that circuitry.

But you're right, 150W with two batteries is right about 20A per battery, so the VTC5 will likely be fine especially since you're pulsing. Note that the amps go up as the voltage drops, for example if you let it get to 3.0V then it's 25A. 3.3V is 22.7A. You could always see how hot the batteries get during your first couple battery cycles. 80 C is very hot.

Good point about the degrees C thing, I'll have them put that in lol. For engineers degrees F don't exist! :p

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At 150 you would be a bit above the 20 amp limit. Anything less would be super. I'd say if your going to run at 150 frequently, vtc4 would be the best option.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1) I don't believe any regulated mods have high temperature battery circuitry. We're not a vaping company though so I can't speak to this conclusively, would love to hear if anyone has more experience with it.
2) I looked at some of the often used mod chipsets like the Yihi 150W and it lists having a "high temperature cutoff", but that will be measured on the circuit board which may or may not get much of the battery temperature to it. I also have no idea what temperature it cuts off at, it's not generally listed in their specs. It's possible if it's a pretty low temperature and/or the battery compartment heat conducts well to the sensor that it would cut off before the battery ever gets that hot, but that would require testing with a particular mod.
3) Some of them don't have any high temperature cutoff at all

So basically...I'd say no, they don't have that circuitry.

But you're right, 150W with two batteries is right about 20A per battery, so the VTC5 will likely be fine especially since you're pulsing. Note that the amps go up as the voltage drops, for example if you let it get to 3.0V then it's 25A. 3.3V is 22.7A. You could always see how hot the batteries get during your first couple battery cycles. 80 C is very hot.

Good point about the degrees C thing, I'll have them put that in lol. For engineers degrees F don't exist! :p

Okay. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

VU Sponsors