A new culprit to blame for "vaping sickness"....

Discussion in '#BANTHIS' started by Teresa P, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Teresa P

Teresa P Professional DIY Enabler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wweek.com/news/state/20...ZsqJ5fsS9pNpAkxAfFBfiRU30AIMp-KvVY-vFNTPNtEbo

"The culprit chemical, according to the lab? Silver solder, which helps binds metals together in many cheaply manufactured vape pens, which contains the chemical cadmium. When inhaled, cadmium oxide fumes are highly toxic to organs, and according to the study the fumes "directly injure lung cells, leading to fluid accumulation, impaired lung function, and respiratory failure."

inspects, hellcatrydr, zephyr and 2 others like this.
  2. lordmage

lordmage Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    nothing more then yet another way to call the Fear in the ill informed public... since we did prove most where not nicotine and was street thc carts now there attacking the device to push everythin off the market. they got to protect there MSA bonds and divide the public away from the truth.

3. Teresa P

Teresa P Professional DIY Enabler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    During alcohol Prohibition, our very own government poisoned the alcohol supply to "prove a point." When they were able to control, modify, and tax the piss out of it, alcohol was great! I've predicted the same happening with vaping for the past five years. And well...here we are.

4. lordmage

lordmage Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    yep when they can make the same or more than the MSA they will switch sides fast

Teresa P and jwill like this.
  5. jwill

jwill The Great King of Nothing VU Vendor VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team VU SWAT Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Considering the melting point of silver solder (+800 degrees, silver content depending), one would have to already be eating paint chips to be able to get a mod to produce fumes and would have to be actually trying to considering where the temp points would be in the mod where wires are soldered.

The only way that I can think of this being even a thing is if those little T*H*C carts have a lead soldered in them and its an ultra-low temp solder and who knows what is in that.

This kind of propaganda is how they will come after hardware and this is where the cheap Chinese market will really come back to bite vaping in the ass. I have seen Chinese brass rust among other things.

6. nadalama

nadalama Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that's exactly where we are.

Rhianne likes this.
  7. Chainvapor

Chainvapor Silver Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    We know this is just the latest attempt to demonize vaping. Unfortunately, the general public will just go along with it. What reason would anyone who does not smoke or vape have to research the actual data or read the actual articles? They just read the head lines and take it as gospel. I still hear ignorant people talking about "popcorn lung" on social media. Let's face it, our government and main-stream media are trying to screw us, and it is working.

CV :(

Rhianne and Teresa P like this.
  8. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Phantom Pilot Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor VU Challenge Team Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    So once more pods

Rhianne and jwill like this.
  9. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Another point not related to the immediate lung damage and such is
    Chinese brass not being lead free. Unlike plumbing fittings there is no regulation that brass used in attys be lead free.
    Why I go SS all the way.

zephyr, Rhianne, jwill and 1 other person like this.
  10. nadalama

nadalama Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure we know that SS is not always SS. Meg posted pics on here once of an atty she bought from overseas that was supposed to be SS, and it very clearly wasn't.

I have bought bracelet beads from overseas that were clearly stamped 925 (sterling silver) but after I wore them for a while, the plating (which should not exist on sterling silver) wore off and I could see the copper or zinc underneath.

Chinese vendors are no different than our government. They're just concerned about money.

inspects, zephyr and Rhianne like this.
  11. vuJim

vuJim Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't appear that way, in this report, to me. They're pointing the finger at "cheap vape pens," not all vaping products.

Not necessarily. The melting point may be 800°F, but that doesn't mean the material won't shed some of its substance at much lower temperatures.

E.g.: The melting point of plastics is certainly much higher than that at which people keep liquids in them for drinking, yet it's a proven fact that many such bottles leach some of their chemical components into said liquids. Then there's the current "lead in the drinking water" crises, where they're finding old water line infrastructure using lead pipes is now resulting in lead leaching into drinking water, and that water is cold (FSVO "cold").

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    zephyr and Rhianne like this.
  12. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Ohh yes and plated silver is rampant. Like the 'Solid gold' coins advertised with .001 inches of solid gold electroplating.
    My SS attys may not be pure SS but no rust or tarnish after years of use so I consider it good.
    I cannot tolerate any exposed brass in an atty, tastes bad to me.
    Had a SS sqonk atty with unplated brass squonk pin. Tasted horrible and was a strange sqounk pin. that atty now resides a few hundred feet over in my woods :)

zephyr, kross8, Rhianne and 1 other person like this.
  13. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    The caution has to be, keep an eye on your gear. Understand. I have a bunch ot it, too, and I check it all the time, just in case. I'm glad Meg made that post, though, because before that, I took their word for it.

DonBaldy and zephyr like this.
  14. PoppaVic

PoppaVic Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Note that the cheaper, softer grades of SS will indeed rust - it ain't core-ten steel, but it rusts.

I was never as worried about that as idiotic brass inside the chamber, since ejuice will leach the lead out of cheap grades of brass. STILL less danger than smoking.

15. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Lead risk totally aside raw brass ruins the vape for me. Bad metallic taste.

Chainvapor likes this.
  16. DonBaldy

DonBaldy Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    With all due respect, I believe the larger point here is that as we (the vape community) continue to shoot down the bullshit "reasons" they will continue grasp at another straw until one takes hold.

It's all complete bullshit and they know it, but they aren't going to give up.

inspects and bikerboogieman like this.
  17. Rhianne

Rhianne Platinum Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    So what are we meant to do?

18. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    Not give up either. I don’t k ow what else to do.

inspects, bikerboogieman and Rhianne like this.
  19. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    Okay, because that’s all I can do. Shit, when I started vaping again in the winter, I had no idea I’d be in this kind of tangle.

DonBaldy likes this.
  20. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    nevergive up.gif

Rhianne and DonBaldy like this.
  21. vuJim

vuJim Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    It's not all complete bullshit. Just as it was found years ago that diacetyl is a very bad thing to put in vape juice, it's a pretty safe bet that are other things that are bad to put into vape juice (e.g.: Vitamin E oil) and other things that aren't safe when exposed to heat or heated liquids.

The sooner the culprits for the lung damage that is certainly real are identified and eliminated from the products the better it is for all of us. What we do have to guard against is the entirety of the products, all juices and all hardware, being lumped-in with the bad stuff.

I feel disregarding out-of-hand as part of some conspiracy to destroy vaping the possibilities that there are bad things still being used does not help us.

Rhianne likes this.
  22. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    Yes I agree that we do not know the long term effects and won't know for quite some time.

Everything I've been reading says that the culprits (in almost all cases) have been identified back to black market T*H*C carts and the ingredients contained within.

This is where the comment about it being bullshit come from. The media and many government officials seem to completely disregard the facts and continue to lump all vaping products in with the bad ones.

Not disregarding the possibilities. I do believe that there are many in government positions and with government agencies whose mission to destroy vaping as we currently know. Each time science or other facts dispel their fear mongering they manufacture another argument.

Please know that I'm disagreeing with you. I'm sure that I could have expressed it better. Don't get me wrong. I do not believe vaping is completely safe. Nothing we put into our bodies is completely safe. I vape knowing that in the long run there will likely be as yet unknown negative effects.

inspects, vuJim and Rhianne like this.
  23. Rhianne

Blog Posts:

What show is that from? I feel dumb having to ask, but he looks very familiar. I haven’t watched any television this year, though. I stopped watching for two weeks or so, and just kept it up.

24. lordmage

Blog Posts:
    galaxy quest movie

DonBaldy, The Cromwell and Rhianne like this.
  25. ajvapes

ajvapes Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Tim Allen in Galaxy Quest

DonBaldy, The Cromwell and Rhianne like this.
  26. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    By Grapthars Vape Ban Hammer!

27. zephyr

zephyr Dirty Pirate Meg VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

Man, I forgot about that. I was so excited with my two Goon 25 clones - til I saw flakes and grey/green stuff in the build posts after my second build. I ended up throwing both away out of worry, even though they were from different manufacturers :(

nadalama likes this.
  28. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    See how we NEED you around here? :hug:

zephyr and DonBaldy like this.
  29. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    I had at least one of every Goon from the OG to the 25mm and never had any issue with metal or finish. Maybe I was lucky.

zephyr likes this.
  30. zephyr

zephyr Dirty Pirate Meg VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    So what causes do y'all suspect are most likely? This cadmium oxide from cheapass cartomizers seems a good lead to look into, imo. I wonder if that Thomas guy who swears he only vaped Juul pods was being truthful. Probably not, I'm thinking.

My luck was more like...

a la China knockoff Roulette. :)

Rhianne and DonBaldy like this.
  31. nadalama

Blog Posts:
    Even if he was vaping what he thought were Juul pods, there are counterfeits of those out there, too.

zephyr and DonBaldy like this.
  32. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    LOL :giggle::giggle:

My wild assed guess is that he wasn't be completely truthful.

33. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    Kids could put anything they want into Juul pods if they make a hole in them. But, convenience stores are selling flavored knock offs, anyway.
    But most likely he vaped a THC cart with Vitamin A acetate as a thickener. And how eager would he be to admit to buying illegal carts?

zephyr, nadalama and DonBaldy like this.