Become a Patron!

A few Questions for a Novice

As a smoker of 28 years I was looking for a way to finally quit . I was so excited to find out about e-cigs on You-Tube and decided to give it a try . So last month I pulled out the plastic and bought a Provari V3 by Provape and a Aspire Nautilus tank .

The Best thing is I finally put down the weeds , 1-1/2 to 2 packs a day then I said no more , smoked my last cig in the pack and haven't picked one up since.

Sadly the bad part is that this whole time that I have been using my Provari I cannot hardly taste any of the e-juice I have used . I have tried 7 different e-juices and can only barely taste my last purchase of a Menthol and a Cinnamon juice. I did happen to see on a video that after years of smoking I may have stunted my taste buds , if this is so how long will this last as its already been a month and I might as well be vaping flavorless e-juice.

Also I would really like any help in upgrading my Provari v3 as its only a 20 watt mod and wouldn't a unit with higher wattage produce more flavor as well as a larger cloud ? I'm not quite sure that I want to get into any of the re-buildables yet as so much of this is very confusing to me still. Cost of the unit isn't really a concern I just want something that I can enjoy using , and if possible could you recommend a new tank to use if my Aspire Nautilus wont work I still have no clue what items work with each different type of mod yet .

barbaraann72

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Congratulations on quitting. Well done!

The taste buds will recover... but it does take some time. I love my Nautilus for cetain flavors, but using a subohm tank does give more flavor and bigger clouds.

If you aren't quite ready to build your own coils, there are a few subohm tanks out there that are quite good! The Uwell Crown, TFV4, and the Kanger subtank are quite highly regarded.

We will need a mod with a bit more ooopmph. There are so many to choose from at all the various price points. The Kanger Subox is a good subohm starter kit - at a decent price point (roughly $60).

But, many online stores are having Columbus day sales so it could be a good time to pick up a higher end mod at a great price.

Sent from my SM-T217T using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on the quit! You're in the right place for help...

While the Provari is an excellent mod quality-wise, it's pretty severely lacking in the power department by the standards of most (not all) vapers these days. Since you've declared an unlimited budget, I'd suggest trying out a dual-battery 18650 mod like a Sigelei 150 or an IPV4 - these go in the $60-80 range. You'll want a couple pairs of 20-amp batteries that will remain "married" and only be used together (another $25 or so), and a tank with easily replaceable, factory-built coils (in the $25-35 range for the tank, plus $10-15 for a pack of replacement coils). These days the Uwell Crown and TFV4 seem to be two of the more popular tanks, I have a Kanger Subtank and Horizon Arctic - both produce more clouds and better flavor than the last-generation style tanks compatible with your Provari.

Still, there may be hope for your existing setup if you're not ready to relegate it to "backup" status just yet. I smoked for 15 years, only about half as much as you when I quit, and I hacked up nasty gunk for a good six weeks after I finally quit for good. It took at least that long before I started getting my sense of taste (and smell, which is a big part of taste) back, so what's bland to you now may start opening up in the coming weeks. If you bought your liquid from a vendor that makes it fresh, it's also possible it could need time to "steep," or fully mature - some flavors don't really begin to come alive until they're a few weeks old, and if you've vaping up the whole bottle before then you may be missing some of the flavor profile.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions...for more on the basics of selecting and safely using an advanced mod check out my "sick clouds bro" thread that's stickied in this "Help I have questions" forum...

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
The Subox kit would be a great option to get a bit more flavor and vapor production.

Thanks much for the quick reply to my initial post .

After doing a little research on the mods being mentioned I came to the conclusion that I still need a little help with making the right purchase. I pretty much narrowed it down to either the IPV D2 75w or the IPV4S 120w but I have concerns about upgrading to such high wattage units considering I know so little about all of this still.

1) Would have to be able to lung hit with the mod , its the only way I enjoy the process.
2) Could I still use my Aspire Nautilus on the IPV D2 ? honestly I have no clue what wattage they max out at / and am pretty sure it would be a no with the IPV4S.
3) Would my 20amp 2200mah 18650 batteries that I own now be compatible with either unit now.
4) And lastly I really don't want a mod that is going to chug through lots of e-juice daily , it would be hard for me to accept the idea of spending $12.00 a day on smokes only to end up spending $25.00 a day for juice.

As I had stated above I am just trying to get an initial increase in the flavor and vapor produced , as is I get very little enjoyment from my Provari at all . And I know for a fact I am no where ready to even start to mess with any thing re-buildable.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your current limitation is, I suspect, the Nautilus rather than the Provari. My friend with a Nautilus really can't vape that at over 20 watts without getting a burned hit, and it has a very small airflow. I forget but don't the Provaris now go to 30 watts? Try a subtank mini with the new vertical coils. That should work fine on your Provari and give you a much better vaping experience.

Just saw above that you said it only goes to 20 watts. I still think you should try the Subtank before buying another unit just to see the huge difference between a Nautilus and a subohm tank (but be aware of the Provari's resistance limitation - again, I think the new ones can fire 0.5 ohms, which should be stock with the subtank).

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You def can use your nautilus on both those mods but if your not looking to upgade your tank than id stick with what you have bc the nautilus tops out at close to 25ish watts. But the tank is the #1 way to get more flavor the crown would get you the most flavor without eating a ton of juice. You will see a big jump say 3xs what you vape now but really no other way to get more flavor. Between those 2 mods id go with the ipv d2. Bc once you upgrade you wont want to use your current setup anymore and the ipv4s is a little to big for out and about. The battery you have would be fine as long as you dont go above 20amp but id use an omh calculator before you use any nickle coils bc there such low ohms. I know you said your not ready to build your own coils but it does save alot and so does diy juice. I do both myself and if i keep up how im spending ill blow only $500 a yr and thats with a new mod/tank every year.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You def can use your nautilus on both those mods but if your not looking to upgade your tank than id stick with what you have bc the nautilus tops out at close to 25ish watts. But the tank is the #1 way to get more flavor the crown would get you the most flavor without eating a ton of juice. You will see a big jump say 3xs what you vape now but really no other way to get more flavor. Between those 2 mods id go with the ipv d2. Bc once you upgrade you wont want to use your current setup anymore and the ipv4s is a little to big for out and about. The battery you have would be fine as long as you dont go above 20amp but id use an omh calculator before you use any nickle coils bc there such low ohms. I know you said your not ready to build your own coils but it does save alot and so does diy juice. I do both myself and if i keep up how im spending ill blow only $500 a yr and thats with a new mod/tank every year.

The Crown is my favorite tank. But if you don't DIY you'll spend a fortune on juice! Also, while I do use one on a D2 for out and about, the wattage required to run those coils means the battery life is terrible on a single battery mod.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Crown is my favorite tank. But if you don't DIY you'll spend a fortune on juice! Also, while I do use one on a D2 for out and about, the wattage required to run those coils means the battery life is terrible on a single battery mod.
Well he wants flavor and its better than the tfv4 on juice and coils are alot cheeper. Not really any other tank are comeing to mind that would make good use of the tc. Theres always kanger but than he might as well get a 30w istick with it. Just my thoughts

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
My thoughts... In order to your questions...

1) You can lung hit pretty much any device out there, although the vapor production will vary from device to device.
2) The Aspire Nautilus can be used on the device, but at much lower wattage because of the higher resistance of the coil in the Aspire Nautilus. The higher wattage settings simply means you can support other types of tanks like sub-ohm tanks and / or rebuildable dripping atomizers (RBA) that require higher wattage for peak performance.
3) You would need to check the specs on the device and make sure the batteries can deliver and maintain the proper current to the device.
4) Sub ohm tanks and RDA's will use more more juice because these devices are designed to provide a lot of vapor production.

Since you say you are not ready to start building your own coils, it sounds like your best choice might be a sub-ohm tank. Since you already know how to change out your coil on your Nautilus, the process of changing the coil on a sub-ohm tank remains the same.

Yes the Provari V3 has a max 20 watts and id say that I daily use a good 5 -7 Ml chain puffing off of it most the day . I need to look into the DIY juice as suggested I know I would hate to build up a $20-$30 a day habit on this.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ya if you got into subohm you'll easily use 15-20 ml a day but keep in mind black Fri is comeing up you could prob get 6 month supply + equipment for 200ish

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd go for the ipv d2. Since it takes one battery you won't have to mess with using married pairs of batteries, it's small, puts out as much power as you'll need for awhile and as much as a 20 amp 18650 can safely handle, has onboard charging and battery life isn't really an issue in my opinion. With a fully charged battery in the mod and a battery box with two additional fully charged batteries close by, you're good for at least a day. It has a magnetic door so battery swaps require no tools and only takes seconds. It also does temp control if you want to try it. I wouldn't recommend a big power, dual battery mod just yet. Keep the provari. When you eventually start rebuilding, a kayfun and a provari make for a super great combo. Just my thoughts. Happy hunting.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Popping back in - either of the IPV choices would make for a nice device upgrade - both will run your Nautilus, but you'll soon find the tank is your biggest obstacle to better clouds/flavor. Granted, you won't be able to do much with 20 watts, but if you could even get to 50-60 (and either of your suggested mods have you more than covered in that regard) you'll have tank options like the Subtank or Horizon Arctic. I own both, and currently use the Arctic as my daily out-and-about tank (I use a rebuildable dripper at home). While I understand these tanks pale in comparison to the others mentioned like the Crown or TFV4, they're still going to make a night-and-day difference in the quality of your vape, and do so while probably burning a little less liquid (though probably still twice what you're used to using).

VU Sponsors