Become a Patron!

7 tube mods, which would you pick and why?

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Due to deals I've found I've narrowed it down to
1.) VCM2 w/VC Tech Switch
2.) Rig v2 or V3 (is v3 $50- $70 better than v2?)
3.) ISM BANDIT- $50
4.) Sub Zero $80- $200
5.) TVL COLT .45 $100- $300 (More than I wanna spend unless it's leaps and bounds better than others)
6.) Envii Heretic $70 (I love this mod, fire button and price but know nothing about it)
7.) Petri Lite v2 $85
8.) Other/Recommendations
This the first tube that I'll be paying for and haven't used enough tubes to know where price starts out running the performance. I don't care about name/collectible, just performance.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Broadside.
The Broadside is the #1 rated tube for 2016 and for good reason. Its the hardest hitting tube in the game, firm smooth button, no springs or magnets and uses a clutch system for contact. It also has a 510 connection so it works for everything. Its not a incredibly expensive tube, its $105-$130 depending on which metal and where you get it. I like the Brass becuase of the smooth power delivery but I have been stacking my Copper/Brass broadside to play with a stacked tube...crazy powerful.
For performance its either The SZCM (SOI) or the Broadside....and the SOI Button on both the shorty and the legendary suck ass, they feel like Nerf Gun Triggers..."Crrriiinnnk" The Broadside is everything the SOI should have been....the only thing the broadside needs is a Hybrid connector to satisfy that crowd.

Me likey them...
d28482885e2d84d0fa0b5f188c90e69c.jpg
9314515224b0d266a8788726000dc702.jpg
e15d4c71da1dc44f97ab0c7958db5fb1.jpg

Last edited:

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn bro those look kickass. I'm not familiar with the clutch system but makes sense. That alone has me leaning toward it. I like the sub zero shorty; kennedy round house too. I would have already bought a ruby if it weren't true hybrid. I'll still get one but first want something I can throw different atty's on

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Broadside.
The Broadside is the #1 rated tube for 2016 and for good reason. Its the hardest hitting tube in the game, firm smooth button, no springs or magnets and uses a clutch system for contact. It also has a 510 connection so it works for everything. Its not a incredibly expensive tube, its $105-$130 depending on which metal and where you get it. I like the Brass becuase of the smooth power delivery but I have been stacking my Copper/Brass broadside to play with a stacked tube...crazy powerful.
For performance its either The SZCM (SOI) or the Broadside....and the SOI Button on both the shorty and the legendary suck ass, they feel like Nerf Gun Triggers..."Crrriiinnnk" The Broadside is everything the SOI should have been....the only thing the broadside needs is a Hybrid connector to satisfy that crowd.

Me likey them...
Does the black aluminum version affect performance? I have way more atty's that will look better on it than on copper or bronze

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The vcm 2 at $50 is sure tempting, just don't know anyone that had one that could vouch for it. The reviews were good

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Broadside.

Me likey them...
Found the copper version for $110 with free 2 days shipping. This a good deal or should I shop around?
The Broadside.

Me likey them...
I've always heard how much people love the shorty switch?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Found the copper version for $110 with free 2 days shipping. This a good deal or should I shop around?

I've always heard how much people love the shorty switch?
The shorty switch is better then the original long sitchbut they are both pretty horrendous...I am very particular about button feel and this is what killed the SOI tubes for me...its why they sit on the shelf since the 2nd day I had it...I bought the Cross Cut edition with the SOI RDA Hybrid Combo, you can see it in the pics above in the backround.

$110 for the copper is a good deal, the copper usually is around $125-$135 so I'd grab it...you wont regret it...

The Aluminum wont hit a hard but it still is a hard hitter..Go with what your going to use most, if you need it black and can put a coating on the Copper then grab the aluminum. The Tube and switch wont change, just the material. Copper hits harder but aluminum still hits harder then brass.

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I actually like the subzero button I only have the shorty knurled but the button is awesome imo.

dclopez6600

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do u have a broadside or have u had one to be able to compare the two?

I don't own one I've used one. My brother and I swap mechs to test he owned one. I owned a scoundrl and the Ruby2 25, dotmod 24, and a few regulated. I'm not saying the broadside doesn't hit, I'm just saying I prefer the hit with flavor on the Kennedy Ruby2 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see...do u happen to know if the voltage drop is noticeable between true hybrid like the ruby and say the standard roundhouse v2 or broadside? I'd like to be able to use my different rda's and only considering ruby if it hits noticeably harder. If not I could always buy a kennedy 25 mm and have a ruby setup just not hybrid. Any idea?

dclopez6600

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see...do u happen to know if the voltage drop is noticeable between true hybrid like the ruby and say the standard roundhouse v2 or broadside? I'd like to be able to use my different rda's and only considering ruby if it hits noticeably harder. If not I could always buy a kennedy 25 mm and have a ruby setup just not hybrid. Any idea?

Broadside I didn't have long enough to say. The ruby and roundhouse the ruby has a lower voltage drop but not but not by much. I'm actually looking at getting a roundhouse also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool, I think I've decided to wait for the subzeroX that'll be out in a couple weeks. The new subzeroX looks promising too

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am going to wait on the SZX myself...Let others bang around with it and give some impressions on it...Then hopefully I can pick one up for Cheap in their Blem section ;) All Copper/Copper RDA.

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heck yea I'm with ya on that. I'm so impatient and don't have a tube mod right now so I'm really wanting to get one. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the broadside and subzero shorty but have found some good deals on some other quality tubes, I'm just not familiar with them. Vapor Kings is having a sale on some older high end mods but I don't know anything about them

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am going to wait on the SZX myself...Let others bang around with it and give some impressions on it...Then hopefully I can pick one up for Cheap in their Blem section ;) All Copper/Copper RDA.
I've never had a copper rda cuz I was always afraid it'd ruin the flavor

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never had a copper rda cuz I was always afraid it'd ruin the flavor

I haven't noticed it affecting flavor...I did steer away from the copper summit cap though, I figured if anything, I'd get a copper taste on my lips then end up licking my lips and it would snow ball in that respect... Could be completely wrong and they clear coat it so it doesn't...no idea..I went with the black delrin instead.

Both blems from SOI and can't find the blem.
59d2131aa26993b4d53d4bc8a4d7368d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn Nice setup! Have you been able to compare it to a broadside? What's your favorite mech you have?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have both, and honestly I can't discern any difference. I don't build super low, .15-.19 lands anywhere in that and that's my Vape.
0eb503a55a654caa16d2ac7c1850ffe0.jpg

I like both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dig that broadside/tm24 setup. What build you run?

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another broadside fan here, I don't ask for much just a floating pin and a flush button. I went with the black because I figured it would be light. it's my work mod and just stays in my shirt pocket. Then add the delrin liner and the nice vent holes and the fact that the whole thing is designed for use with the battery pos end down (away from your face) and I like it!!! And so much now I'm thinking brass. And no I don't work for them.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Broadside best mod hands down. Out of a little over 20 tubes the broadside was the cheapest one and outperforms them all. It's the only mod I've felt the need to buy a 2nd one just for a different finish and have a 3rd al on the way.
9d092469bfb2010e9ddedb6ef575ee99.jpg
e6a9a23b1b79ea05db4c7ba1725c29eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have most of these, inlcudinh a copper broadside, two rigs v2 (havent bought the v3 just yet), 2 Subzero, LMCs, e3 roundhouses v1/v2 and ruby

Broadside hits super hard but i dont find myself reaching out to it as often ad I thought, it's just two bulky, its clutch design was pretty closed copied (in reality it's an improvement of) the subzero.

if you want to start with a good original / great perfoming mod, trying finding an Aria Oros V2, love the switch on mine. The hybrid subzero, rig V2s and roundhouse V1s is what I find myself using most these days.

The roundhouse V1s (I prefer these to the V2, although the switch if better) you can get it in copper, brass, SS or Cerakoted copper for 80 bucks at vvs619.com they are close-saling it.

My FAVORITE hybrid though: 25 mm SS Ruby mod v1. Seem to bring it everywhere with me and not afraid of it dropping in the floor for the n time.

The petris i love, both the 22 and 24mm. Performance is not as good as the the ones above but they are no slouch either and the switch is butter-smooth (vv619s also have them on the 'cheap' for an original)

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And good builds, 5 wraps of 24g n80 or SS w/ 4 inner wrpas of 24g kanthal on 3m bit give instant clouds and great vapor OR 5 wraps of parallel 24g SS does it as well, but leaves you in the <0.1 ohhm space

I also like 5 wraps of spaces 22g N80 or SS316 on a 2.5 mm bit, comes at around 0.8 and it's great for 2~3 seconds drag

All those in dual coil setup

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what's that? cheap... I think not!
just got the broadside today. weird to setup with the clutch but she hits HARD! the switch is BADASS. different feeling then magnets or springs. get the broadside while you still can bud. you'll like it, or you'll hate it. up to you.
9ae3f51ca8b86629bbc84bece3e2a531.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

triakis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VGOD tube = $70 street price online.
For solid copper USA made tube with great venting and Delrin sleeve it's safe, simple and hits excellent IME.

I have a Rogue in copper (nice but the switch isn't my favorite as far as changing batts), subzero which is very nice, 7 or 8 rig tubes with various atties. I have an aluminum V3 which is OK, super light. Always checking for batteries because with a batt it's lighter than the copper tubes without! Kennedy Ruby 25 in stainless, Tugboat V 2.0 also a good hitter and button has huge travel which some don't like. I don't mind at all. Several ables authentic and clones. Main issue with AV clones is weak magnets make them too easy to fire. Need to lock them out before sitting on a table! My fav 22mm tube is the infinite copper with carbon fiber sleeve. Works great with the SOI 22mm comp atty.

I have not tried the broadside but will most likely add to my collection of mechs now. At least it's cheap compared to what else is out there!

5 wraps No. 22 nichrome on 2.5mm mandrel is hot. You meant 0.08 not .8! :D. I like five 316L 22Ga on 3mm on my vapeamp BAMF atty for my all copper Rig V3. That's a nice blend for longer pulls and still ramps decent.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VGOD tube = $70 street price online.
For solid copper USA made tube with great venting and Delrin sleeve it's safe, simple and hits excellent IME.

I have a Rogue in copper (nice but the switch isn't my favorite as far as changing batts), subzero which is very nice, 7 or 8 rig tubes with various atties. I have an aluminum V3 which is OK, super light. Always checking for batteries because with a batt it's lighter than the copper tubes without! Kennedy Ruby 25 in stainless, Tugboat V 2.0 also a good hitter and button has huge travel which some don't like. I don't mind at all. Several ables authentic and clones. Main issue with AV clones is weak magnets make them too easy to fire. Need to lock them out before sitting on a table! My fav 22mm tube is the infinite copper with carbon fiber sleeve. Works great with the SOI 22mm comp atty.

I have not tried the broadside but will most likely add to my collection of mechs now. At least it's cheap compared to what else is out there!

5 wraps No. 22 nichrome on 2.5mm mandrel is hot. You meant 0.08 not .8! :D. I like five 316L 22Ga on 3mm on my vapeamp BAMF atty for my all copper Rig V3. That's a nice blend for longer pulls and still ramps decent.
vgod is next on my list, then the X1 than that newest one from VC with the hybrid top.

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes. sorry, 0.08ohms. Space evenly it's actually pretty tasty for short (2 ~ 3 secs) drags, which I like

The broadside is great, but somehow i dont fint myself reaching out to it as some of my other mods (see #of kennedy / roundhouses / rubys vs broadside below?)

Somehow I'm using a lot that JustGG pure brass, it surprisingly hard for all the parts it has, but I'm running a 0.1 ohm in it with no issue at all

There are some of the mods i use most often these days:
2 SOI Shorty
2 ruby
2 roundhouse v1
1 roundhouse v2
2 rig v2
1 broadside
2 pretis
2 LMCs
1 Just GG
1 Oros
1 Praxis

that ruby 25, black SOI, Petri, copper Rig v2, JustGG and Oros is what i somehow keep coming back to
vtSgLl4.jpg

Last edited:

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that ruby 25, black SOI, Petri, copper Rig v2, JustGG and Oros is what i somehow keep coming back to
vtSgLl4.jpg

nice collection! I've been deciding if I should patina my Oros V2 with some greens and blues and clear coat it. issue is figuring out keeping the bottom threads clean. maybe tape or something. one thing I am digging about the broadside is the delrin lined tube. I can use unwrapped batteries in it. no issues!

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nice collection! I've been deciding if I should patina my Oros V2 with some greens and blues and clear coat it. issue is figuring out keeping the bottom threads clean. maybe tape or something. one thing I am digging about the broadside is the delrin lined tube. I can use unwrapped batteries in it. no issues!

Thanks!
I keep them as they come and just now and then polish them. The ones in the pics are what were in my desk at the time, there are a few others in the closet and around the house, but those are all in all the main drivers

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
what's that? cheap... I think not!
just got the broadside today. weird to setup with the clutch but she hits HARD! the switch is BADASS. different feeling then magnets or springs. get the broadside while you still can bud. you'll like it, or you'll hate it. up to you.
9ae3f51ca8b86629bbc84bece3e2a531.jpg

Why do you say while we still can?

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's sold out @ bjboxmod
Still a few places you can get it though. I got my 2nd and 3rd broadside and an extra extension tube @ premiumvapesupply.com
They shipped pretty fast too it was here 2 days after I ordered and free shipping... 20 percent discount code and all...
Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dude, who says it had to be a mech? Should have gotten the best regulated tube mod ever, Dicodes 2395. 60watt or stack for 90 and just a sleek ass mod... man been wanting this a long time...
1b8e1b532d626330b480e79f168c6d83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't understand that question...

When you said "pick up one while you still can bud" I thought you knew something like they were going to stop making them. I hope not I like them.

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

ApolloKen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Went with the Broadside and couldn't be happier. I do have to build pretty damn low to vape the way I like to vape. Anything above .14ish just doesn't cut it. 5 wraps 22g is what I been rockin

should've went with the XXX. best tube mod ive ever hit, and Ive owned a ton!

Attachments

• 20170506_213754.jpg
    20170506_213754.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 20

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Id take the Admiral over the XXX when its released in a couple days....

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Due to deals I've found I've narrowed it down to
1.) VCM2 w/VC Tech Switch
I have it, I like it. It's not a bad tube and I like the option to go between a direct to battery connection to one with a 510 pin. It's not my favorite tube but is a solid performer
2.) Rig v2 or V3 (is v3 $50- $70 better than v2?)
Don't own an authentic but got a Clone to try it out before buying the Authentic. I'm glad I did, for it's not a bad tube but just really nothing there with the design for me to buy the Authentic. Plus the negative pin is a big pain in the ass to remove and put back in. That was the deal killer for me, cleaning your mech is one of the most important things you must do on a regular maintenance and the Rig's switch is just too much of a pain in the ass for regular maintenance.
3.) ISM BANDIT- $50
I have it, I don't like it. No matter what if I build below 0.3Ω I get a hot button, I never use this tube because of that
4.) Sub Zero $80- $200
Love it, my favorite tube. It's an awesome performer and the innovative design of this switch is so good Vaperz Cloud copied their design with the Broadside. I love this tube so much I have 4, it's my favorite 18650 Tube Mod. Well that is excluding the Pilak, no one can compete with the Pilak.

I can't recommend this tube enough
5.) TVL COLT .45 $100- $300 (More than I wanna spend unless it's leaps and bounds better than others)
6.) Envii Heretic $70 (I love this mod, fire button and price but know nothing about it)
Don't have these, can't comment.

7.) Petri Lite v2 $85
I have it, not a bad tube, rather nice and it's a good "light" 22mm tube

8.) Other/Recommendations
This the first tube that I'll be paying for and haven't used enough tubes to know where price starts out running the performance. I don't care about name/collectible, just performance.

Best recommendation I have is the SubZero Shorty. Broadside it's not a bad tube, it's a 25mm performs well because they copied the design from Subohm Innovations but I like the SubZero Shorty much better. It's their own design, much cleaner look with no obnoxious engravings, just smooth, clean, sleek design and excellent machining

Last edited:

VU Sponsors