Become a Patron!

510 Nut Size

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Everyone.
I'm looking into making some custom Atty & Tank Stands.
Does anyone know what Nut (or an insert of sorts) is compatible with the 510 threading, and where to buy them?

(I'm looking for pre-threaded nuts or inserts, not something I'll have to Tap by hand);)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah...you'd think right?
Now that I know the size, I've read some Reddit posts and people are saying that the hardware stores Don't have them.
True Value to be specific.
And unfortunately that is our main hardware store here.
(small town)

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Being a former Fastenal employee, I can tell you that it is not a "typical" standard thread pitch, aka: hens tooth.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Look in mod parts at https://highdesertvapes.com/categories/Mod-Parts/

I do think remembering they have them.
Thanks for that.
Looks like they have a connector that might work.
They're $3 a piece though.
Kinda pricey for what I'm wanting to do.
It wouldn't be so bad if I were just wanting to make a few...
But when you have a lot of attys/tanks that price tag isn't very nice.
Didn't expect such a small part to be priced that way.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What about some HeliCoil inserts? They probably would be a little longer than you actually needed and fastening them might be tricky but they are readily available at auto parts stores in a M7 size.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What about some HeliCoil inserts? They probably would be a little longer than you actually needed and fastening them might be tricky but they are readily available at auto parts stores in a M7 size.
Heli coil are made for striped threads

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Heli coil are made for striped threads

Yes, I know what Heli Coils are used for, did I not just suggest them?. :)

I also mentioned that fastening them might be tricky but if I'm not mistaken, the OP wants a threaded connection for his atties and this might provide that.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You shouldn't have to justify yourself to a troll, @BGAHaze.

I can't see who as I have the unworthy and untruthful on 'Ignore.' Only three members earned a spot so it's pretty easy to figure. That feature is a blessing.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You shouldn't have to justify yourself to a troll, @BGAHaze.

I can't see who as I have the unworthy and untruthful on 'Ignore.' Only three members earned a spot so it's pretty easy to figure. That feature is a blessing.
Who is a troll?

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, I know what Heli Coils are used for, did I not just suggest them?. :)

I also mentioned that fastening them might be tricky but if I'm not mistaken, the OP wants a threaded connection for his atties and this might provide that.
We use to use the Heli coils a lot is racing like in carbs ect. They do work if you can get them set right kind of expensive for what they are but they do work. Saved me several times

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like it may possibly work...
But the size is still the problem.
Cant find M7 x .5

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Were you planning on welding the nut to the base?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Were you planning on welding the nut to the base?
No.
I'm thinking of just boring the hole large enough for either the nut, insert, or connector, then using some sort of epoxy or JB Weld to hold it into place. Haven't really decided what base material I'll use yet. Metal, Wood, or Hard plastic. If I can find these cheap enough, I'd probably experiment with all three base materials and play around with things more.

Last edited:

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks.
Any idea where to get them?
I'm seeing the taps everywhere, but not the pre-threaded nuts.
No.
I'm thinking of just boring the hole large enough for either the nut, insert, or connector, then using some sort of epoxy or JB Weld to hold it into place. Haven't really decided what base material I'll use yet. Metal, Wood, or Hard plastic. If I can find these cheap enough, I'd probably experiment with all three base materials and play around with things more.
If you go with a hard plastic or metal you could always just tap the holes.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
AutoZone has a kneedable putty epoxy that I have been using on everything that is great you can even sand it dries like steal. It comes in a tube half of the putty is white and other half is gray takes about a hour to become very hard so it gives you time to blend it and form it. You might oil the threads and backing before you apply this putty epoxy you may be able to unscrew it like a nut.

Last edited:

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered my 7x.5 from fastenal with a f drill bit , make sure it's a bottom tap and not a chaser , I believe I gave like 19 bucks for the both of them . I have tapped 3/8 aluminum for a atty stand and I am working on a polycarbonate one right now .

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
AutoZone has a kneedable putty epoxy that I have been using on everything that is great you can even sand it dries like steal. It comes in a tube half of the putty is white and other half is gray takes about a hour to become very hard so it gives you time to blend it and form it. You might oil the threads and backing before you apply this putty epoxy you may be able to unscrew it like a nut.
in a pinch or touch up area where jb weld might be too much, use super glue + baking soda,, then sand as normal with paper, file or even a piece of fabric

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
in a pinch or touch up area where jb weld might be too much, use super glue + baking soda,, then sand as normal with paper, file or even a piece of fabric
used superglue with baking soda in some mod building..it gets very hard and very fast works like a charm .
maybe pack some in a over size hole around a lubricated 510 to form the threads.
I am going to go another route ..will use some silicone putty in the hole with maybe a 6 mm drillbit in the center , pulled out after the stuff cures . the 510 will just push in and will grab without any screwing .
just some ideas

VU Sponsors