Become a Patron!

3D Printer - 3D Printed Mods

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So lately I’ve really had the itch to start building my own mods... for a while now, I’ve really been interested in getting a 3D Printer... the issue is I don’t even know where to start with looking for a decent one. I’m not looking for an industrial 3D printer or a really expensive one that someone would invest in to start a business. I’m looking for a good introductory level 3D printer (yes on the cheaper side of the scale) that can actually produce some good quality prints. I know someone here has to have some knowledge about 3D printers and printing 3D box mods!!! Any information would be insanely appreciated... Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So lately I’ve really had the itch to start building my own mods... for a while now, I’ve really been interested in getting a 3D Printer... the issue is I don’t even know where to start with looking for a decent one. I’m not looking for an industrial 3D printer or a really expensive one that someone would invest in to start a business. I’m looking for a good introductory level 3D printer (yes on the cheaper side of the scale) that can actually produce some good quality prints. I know someone here has to have some knowledge about 3D printers and printing 3D box mods!!! Any information would be insanely appreciated... Thanks in advance

@jasonandsarah hit him up.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Check out the cr10 and cr10 mini or I believe creality just came out with 2 newer printers that are supposed to be really good and cheaper.

*just looked and the ender 3 is on pre order. Really great all around printer and for that price I doubt it can be beat.
Fyi I have never shopped at this site though. https://www.3dprintersbay.com/creality-ender-3

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Check out the cr10 and cr10 mini or I believe creality just came out with 2 newer printers that are supposed to be really good and cheaper.

*just looked and the ender 3 is on pre order. Really great all around printer and for that price I doubt it can be beat.
Fyi I have never shopped at this site though. https://www.3dprintersbay.com/creality-ender-3

Thanks so much man, I really really appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this... that Ender 3 is definitely the price range I was hoping for lol. I didn’t want to buy an expensive one until I actually know what I’m doing. I couldn’t find it on the site you linked and I honestly don’t know if every printer is different... is there a specific filament that I need to use that printer or does most filament work and there is there some filament that won’t work with this model?

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks so much man, I really really appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this... that Ender 3 is definitely the price range I was hoping for lol. I didn’t want to buy an expensive one until I actually know what I’m doing. I couldn’t find it on the site you linked and I honestly don’t know if every printer is different... is there a specific filament that I need to use that printer or does most filament work and there is there some filament that won’t work with this model?

The manufacturer says it can print Pla, abs and tpu. I'm guessing the easiest ones to print will be pla and abs in the beginning. Be prepared though because 3d printing isn't as easy as one might think. There will be lots of failed prints and learning settings and mastering the slicer software. It's like taking on a whole new hobby and you gotta go all in.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The manufacturer says it can print Pla, abs and tpu. I'm guessing the easiest ones to print will be pla and abs in the beginning. Be prepared though because 3d printing isn't as easy as one might think. There will be lots of failed prints and learning settings and mastering the slicer software. It's like taking on a whole new hobby and you gotta go all in.

That’s fine by me man... I’m out of work right now so I got the time to learn it... might as well learn a trade right?

Have you ever printed a Box Mod?

Last edited:

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That’s fine by me man... I’m out of work right now so I got the time to learn it... might as well learn a trade right?

Have you ever printed a Box Mod?

Yeah I've made a couple for myself and a couple for others. Hopefully your not trying to start selling mods because most people only really want pla or abs mods for beaters so your not gonna make much off that.
I'm not saying that to try and dissuade ypu5 because learning 3d printing is a very smart thing to do now a days imo. Everything is going to 3d printing for prototypes, casting molds and even end parts it's just higher end machines doing it. Learning the basics is a great way to start that processes and get your feet wet so to speak. You'll know within the first couple months because you'll either love it or hate it.
It's a deep rabbit hole and it'll reel you in quick if you enjoy it. I've got 3 printers now and I'm considering selling 2 of them to try and get something a little more heavy duty in the near future.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I've made a couple for myself and a couple for others. Hopefully your not trying to start selling mods because most people only really want pla or abs mods for beaters so your not gonna make much off that.
I'm not saying that to try and dissuade ypu5 because learning 3d printing is a very smart thing to do now a days imo. Everything is going to 3d printing for prototypes, casting molds and even end parts it's just higher end machines doing it. Learning the basics is a great way to start that processes and get your feet wet so to speak. You'll know within the first couple months because you'll either love it or hate it.
It's a deep rabbit hole and it'll reel you in quick if you enjoy it. I've got 3 printers now and I'm considering selling 2 of them to try and get something a little more heavy duty in the near future.

No not looking to sell them, just make for myself... I was curious how much filament it used to make an average size squonk or regular box mod... pure curiosity so I know what I’m getting myself into haha

And yeah, I’ve been interested in 3D printing for a long time and kept saying I wanted to get into it,.. I figure now is as good a time as any... especially all the money I spend on mods, I might as well buy a printer and learn to print my own lol

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No not looking to sell them, just make for myself... I was curious how much filament it used to make an average size squonk or regular box mod... pure curiosity so I know what I’m getting myself into haha

And yeah, I’ve been interested in 3D printing for a long time and kept saying I wanted to get into it,.. I figure now is as good a time as any... especially all the money I spend on mods, I might as well buy a printer and learn to print my own lol

Filament will mostly be dependent on witch kind you buy. Depending on the mod size though you could probably make 20+ mods out of one roll of 1kg filament. If you buy the more expencive filament and you'll only get .5 kg of filament for around the same price and less prints obviously. There's also stuff that's really expencive but that's normally like pla/carbon or pla/different types of metal and the like. It's also a little harder to print so inn the beginning it can suck getting failed prints using a $80 .5kg spool.
I mostly buy cheaper filament because the worst that happens is a messed up print once in awhile or something. But even when using cheaper filament you'll want to check around and see what people are saying about it.
There's tons of very cool and useful things you can print on thingaverse. You'll find things all the time you didn't even know you wanted

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Filament will mostly be dependent on witch kind you buy. Depending on the mod size though you could probably make 20+ mods out of one roll of 1kg filament. If you buy the more expencive filament and you'll only get .5 kg of filament for around the same price and less prints obviously. There's also stuff that's really expencive but that's normally like pla/carbon or pla/different types of metal and the like. It's also a little harder to print so inn the beginning it can suck getting failed prints using a $80 .5kg spool.
I mostly buy cheaper filament because the worst that happens is a messed up print once in awhile or something. But even when using cheaper filament you'll want to check around and see what people are saying about it.
There's tons of very cool and useful things you can print on thingaverse. You'll find things all the time you didn't even know you wanted

Thanks for all this info, I really appreciate it. I’ve been browsing thingiverse for a while now... can’t wait to get some prints going!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Ender 3 comes with software to use to make 3D models to print right?

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Ender 3 comes with software to use to make 3D models to print right?

I'm not sure but I dont think so? If your talking about cad software I think you have to get your own because it's not really a requirement. Then again I'm not 100% positive

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I was in a local Computer/Electronics Superstore a few months back and they had one set up and printing little plastic toy's for the kiddies.

Fascinating to watch it do its thing.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=3D+Printing

Personally, not interested in 3D printed mods but (and I probably shouldn't say this) but if I had one, I would most likely try to make one of those plastic 3D printed guns you hear about just to have one in my collection.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was in a local Computer/Electronics Superstore a few months back and they had one set up and printing little plastic toy's for the kiddies.

Fascinating to watch it do its thing.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=3D+Printing

Personally, not interested in 3D printed mods but (and I probably shouldn't say this) but if I had one, I would most likely try to make one of those plastic 3D printed guns you hear about just to have one in my collection.
F em, maybe I'll print one for you!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
That's OK, We now have You on file..

I imagine that I have a nice fat file that is thicker than most!

But thank you for thinking of me all the same:vino:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not sure but I dont think so? If your talking about cad software I think you have to get your own because it's not really a requirement. Then again I'm not 100% positive

Ahh so when you get the printer you can only print other people’s files? I’d have to purchase software separately to create my own?

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ahh so when you get the printer you can only print other people’s files? I’d have to purchase software separately to create my own?

Yeah only higher end printers come with cad software I believe. There's probably a free one out there somewhere but I'm not sure? I got 1 year of fusion 360 with my Robo R2 but that cost me $1800 so it's the least they could do! Lol didn't even get the software just a 1 year subscription. Haven't done a ton of research but that tells me cad software is probably pretty pricy.
Sucks because my years almost up and I've barley used it! such a waste but I've had a lot going on this year. Not a lot of free time to learn something new. I've had enough time into learning my printers them selves.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah only higher end printers come with cad software I believe. There's probably a free one out there somewhere but I'm not sure? I got 1 year of fusion 360 with my Robo R2 but that cost me $1800 so it's the least they could do! Lol didn't even get the software just a 1 year subscription. Haven't done a ton of research but that tells me cad software is probably pretty pricy.
Sucks because my years almost up and I've barley used it! such a waste but I've had a lot going on this year. Not a lot of free time to learn something new. I've had enough time into learning my printers them selves.

Ouch... that sucks... I really thought they’d offer you some way to create files

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ouch... that sucks... I really thought they’d offer you some way to create files

Look into because like I said I don't know much about cad. There's probably options Idk about.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Hey man! So I’m ready to pull the trigger on the printer... I just want to make sure the Ender 3 is still the one you would recommend!

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hey man! So I’m ready to pull the trigger on the printer... I just want to make sure the Ender 3 is still the one you would recommend!

Hey All,
Looooooooooong time lurker, finally decided to join.

I've been reading along this thread as I love 3D printing, and thought I might offer some insight regarding the slicer software/design software you need for 3D printing.

Depending on the make/model you decide on, it may come with software, but if not there are some free options:

First you would need a design program, but you can design for free using https://www.tinkercad.com/
All you have to do is create a free account, and you are ready to start designing. You can even import others .stl files and make modifications if needed.
Next you will need the slicer software which 'slices' your design into layers to be printed. This can also be expensive, but again, there is a free option https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software
You can download for free & works pretty good. The newest version has some new features also.

I use both of these, and they will work just fine without breaking the bank. Once you 'get you feet wet' you can buy more expensive programs...

Hope my first post here helps!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey All,

I've been reading along this thread as I love 3D printing, and thought I might offer some insight regarding the slicer software/design software you need for 3D printing.

Depending on the make/model you decide on, it may come with software, but if not there are some free options:

First you would need a design program, but you can design for free using https://www.tinkercad.com/
All you have to do is create a free account, and you are ready to start designing. You can even import others .stl files and make modifications if needed.
Next you will need the slicer software which 'slices' your design into layers to be printed. This can also be expensive, but again, there is a free option https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software
You can download for free & works pretty good. The newest version has some new features also.

I use both of these, and they will work just fine without breaking the bank. Once you 'get you feet wet' you can buy more expensive programs...

That’s awesome dude... I was actually playing with tinkercad earlier today!! And thanks for the slicer info, that was going to be my next project to search for.....

I’m more then likely going to pull the trigger on the Creailty Ender 3 Tom. There’s about 2 week lead time on it so I have time to find some software and pick up some filament ...

Thanks again for the info!!!

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Like I said before I haven't actually used the ender 3 (obviously since its just coming out lol) but I do own a printer from creality and it's a to notch machine for the price. I honestly doubt you'll be unhappy with it.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hey All,

Very helpful thanks for filling in where I was blank! probably look into those myself soon.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very helpful thanks for filling in where I was blank! probably look into those myself soon.

Yeah I get it man... I wasn’t asking if you liked it, really just if you heard of anything better coming out or came out... just don’t want to spend $200 and then get mad at myself because the new hottness comes out right after lol

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yeah I get it man... I wasn’t asking if you liked it, really just if you heard of anything better coming out or came out... just don’t want to spend $200 and then get mad at myself because the new hottness comes out right after lol

Imo for $200 there's absolutely no other option atm. I paid double that for my CR10 and never once regretted it.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Imo for $200 there's absolutely no other option atm. I paid double that for my CR10 and never once regretted it.

Awesome... I’m going to place my order as soon as I get home... I believe lead time is 10-14 days.

They are actually selling the Ender 3 on Amazon for $40 more... I was tempted to just order it there. I wish amazon accepted PayPal or I probably wouldn’t have hesitated to grab it there!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You guys want to recommend some filament brands? I want to have everything ready for when it gets here!! ;)

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I’m already ordering enough parts to make a few mods so I’ll have them on hand... won’t do me no good though if I don’t have the filament to print the enclosures :)

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep, jasonandsarah is right. Pretty much most filament these days is fine. I've used Hatchbox, Printrbot, esun all good filament. You don't need expensive filament for PLA, ABS, or PETG.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I’m already ordering enough parts to make a few mods so I’ll have them on hand... won’t do me no good though if I don’t have the filament to print the enclosures :)

When will your printer arrive?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
When will your printer arrive?

I believe it should arrive 8-12 days or so..
Have you tried Solutech filament? If so, how about their black, white & grey?

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I believe it should arrive 8-12 days or so..
Have you tried Solutech filament? If so, how about their black, white & grey?

20180507_011405.jpg
yes I actually have a roll of the grey ABS right here. prints great, good quality, no issues with spooling (yet anyway haven't used the whole thing) and diameter has been consistent. Just be advised that ABS will warp on certain prints, but that's a whole different thread lol!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
View attachment 110381
yes I actually have a roll of the grey ABS right here. prints great, good quality, no issues with spooling (yet anyway haven't used the whole thing) and diameter has been consistent. Just be advised that ABS will warp on certain prints, but that's a whole different thread lol!

Yeah I’m going to stick with PLA until I get some experience... I’ve read it’s just easier to work with in the beginning !

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
View attachment 110381

Have you printed any mods yet or do you not mess with the printer for that?

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
yes, PLA is muuuch easier! haven't printed any mods yet, but I have printed my RTA stands, Clapton coil jig & some battery cases...
View attachment 110382 View attachment 110383 :D
Wow that Clapton jig looks perfect for the coil table I want to build. Mind sharing the link? I LOVE thingaverse but sometimes it can be a bitch to find the exact print your looking for. Find 10 just like it but not the one you want.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wow that Clapton jig looks perfect for the coil table I want to build. Mind sharing the link? I LOVE thingaverse but sometimes it can be a bitch to find the exact print your looking for. Find 10 just like it but not the one you want.

Yeah that coil jig is pretty bad ass! I was thinking about printing one to do some Clapton’s while I’m wrapping my Alien coils with another drill . That battery case is pretty awesome also

Do you use yeggi at all for searching for prints? Sometimes it found more prints for me on thingiverse compared to what thingiverse actually showed me when I searched

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys, thanks!

I sometimes use yeggi, but found most stuff on thingiverse

Here is the link for the one I printed, but I made some modifications to mine:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2124546

this one does NOT hold kidney puncher spools, so that was one change I made to my version, also his version does not have the threaded rod and wingnut. I added that to mine.

Let me know if this works for you, or I can upload my .stl files

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hey guys, thanks!

I sometimes use yeggi, but found most stuff on thingiverse

Here is the link for the one I printed, but I made some modifications to mine:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2124546

this one does NOT hold kidney puncher spools, so that was one change I made to my version, also his version does not have the threaded rod and wingnut. I added that to mine.

Let me know if this works for you, or I can upload my .stl files
Thanks man that's pretty cool of you. Your modified version sounds way better and I'm still not capable of messing with print files very well. I really gotta just take the time to learn but for now I'll gladly accept your offer to use your stl file .

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
no prob. but there's several files. can I upload them here, or would a zip file be better? Or is it against forum rules? Not sure how to proceed here, still new lol. just let me know

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh, nvm. I managed to make my file public, so you can download here:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/9Us1C7BiARj-clapton-coil-jigfinal
Thanks again, I'll have to log in oon my laptop tomorrow so I can download that. Really need too get some harder resin for my sla printer because I wanna print stuff like this with that printer. Unfortunately all I have is a crap load of the prototyping resin. Works great unless the prints thin, then it's kinda brittle.

VU Sponsors