Become a Patron!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have two 26650 mech mods. Therefore, I had to do my research for a decent 26650 battery. All I could come up with is the Efest IMR 3500 mAh, with a continuous discharge rate of 32A.
@Jon@LiionWholesale do you know of a better battery?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Do not get the Efest 3500mAh, it's horrible.

The Efest 4200mAh is very good though. 100W might push it a bit, I haven't tested quite to that level, but I've tested it at 25A and it handles it well, that's 75-100W depending on charge level. It should be able to do a little more without too much drama. Efest rates it as 40A continuous.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you so much for the replies. After looking at this a bit, not I'm not sure the small gain obtained by use of a 26650 is worth the extra width on the mod.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Do not get the Efest 3500mAh, it's horrible.

The Efest 4200mAh is very good though. 100W might push it a bit, I haven't tested quite to that level, but I've tested it at 25A and it handles it well, that's 75-100W depending on charge level. It should be able to do a little more without too much drama. Efest rates it as 40A continuous.
Thanks for chiming in!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you so much for the replies. After looking at this a bit, not I'm not sure if the small gain obtained by use of a 26650 if worth the extra width on the mod.
I saw the Stout mod at my office, meeting with other vapors. It's actually not that thick. I'm considering getting one myself.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I was thinking of one of these for an out and about, carry mod. I currently us an Evic Mini for this purpose but the sharp corner on the bottom annoys me as it kind of bites into my palm. Did have an ipv D2 which is more ergonomic, but wanted something that would do stainless steel. As you have been able to handle one, what is your opinion of one for this use. I see they include an adapter sleeve for 18650's, nice touch.

And I took a look at Liion Wholesale after the reply by Jon. Did not realize they did retail, by the name I figured they were just wholesale. Will try them in the future...

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I was thinking of one of these for an out and about, carry mod. I currently us an Evic Mini for this purpose but the sharp corner on the bottom annoys me as it kind of bites into my palm. Did have an ipv D2 which is more ergonomic, but wanted something that would do stainless steel. As you have been able to handle one, what is your opinion of one for this use. I see they include an adapter sleeve for 18650's, nice touch.
The Stout should be better, due to being "round", like the Wismec Reuleaux.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I have an RX200. It is definitely round lol. Love it but that's a stay at home device. Wish I could find a side by side photo with the Stout and Evic Mini or D2/3. Thanks for the info.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I have an RX200. It is definitely round lol. Love it but that's a stay at home device. Wish I could find a side by side photo with the Stout and Evic Mini or D2/3. Thanks for the info.
If I wouldn't "work" :) from home today, I could have provided you that picture. I have the VTC Mini myself, including two Reuleaux (DNA200 & RX200), and some "older" dual 18650 mods.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I already had a dna200, so went with the RX. For stainless steel I feel the joyetech board works better than the dna. But that's another can o' worms.
But tell me, would you give up the Evic mini for the Stout?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I already had a dna200, so went with the RX. For stainless steel I feel the joyetech board works better than the dna. But that's another can o' worms.
But tell me, would you give up the Evic mini for the Stout?
After creating the profile for the SS coil, I tweaked the settings (temp & power) by hooking up the DNA200 mod to my Laptop, and watching the curve (Temperature) in the Device Monitor, while taking a manual drag. I was playing with the wattage, until the curve was waving as close to the temp setting as possible. IMO, the DNA200 does perform better than the RX200 (even with the latest Firmware).
Re. Evic Mini: I think, I would, if I had to.

LiionWholesales is my go to place for batteries.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
DJaquith has posted several stainless steel .csv files, most folks are happy with those and say they work better that SteamEngine's. Before my board suddenly decided it didn't like stainless steel, my favorite was his V4. And at the risk of sounding like a total fanboy, if you do a search on Jaquith and read his posts there is just a ton of good info, the guy should write a book on vaping...

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey @Jon@LiionWholesale , do you prefer the Basen 26650 or the Efest?
I thought Efests were rewraps?
Just got a VaporFlask Stout and want the best 26650 battery for the mod. Recommendation?
Thanks.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would recommend the Basen as of this moment, although our current batch of Efests is just as good. Efest quality has seemed to vary from batch to batch recently so that's why I'd just go Basen.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hmmm... One of the criticisms I've seen of 26650-powered mods is you don't get much bang for the buck out of a battery that has roughly double the volume. But the Basen battery is listed as 4500mAH and has a max pulse current rating of 60A. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You definitely don't get double the power/capacity even though it's double the weight/volume, 18650's just have much more development into them. It's about 1.5x the power/capacity. Still reasonable but definitely 18650 is the most efficient battery package at the moment.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You definitely don't get double the power/capacity even though it's double the weight/volume, 18650's just have much more development into them. It's about 1.5x the power/capacity. Still reasonable but definitely 18650 is the most efficient battery package at the moment.
Good information, never looked at 26650s before coz i never needed them, it makes since that 18650s are the most developed at the moment with plenty of availability from reputable manufacturers, i am curious though why did that particular size became the battery of choice for most applications including electric cars? optimal size for pack size customization?

And would the state of the 26650s be a disadvantage for mods that use them?

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmm... One of the criticisms I've seen of 26650-powered mods is you don't get much bang for the buck out of a battery that has roughly double the volume. But the Basen battery is listed as 4500mAH and has a max pulse current rating of 60A. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yes, a pretty reasonable lie lol. The various " * Fire" battery (and some "name" batteries) mah/amp claims would be humorous if there wasn't the possibility of someone getting injured by believing those wrappers.

There are a lot of numbers that can be considered, capacity, internal resistance, etc. but for a seat of the pants practical comparison I can say that my Stout with the one good MNKE I have will last all day, and the Evic Mini with an LG HG2 will not. That is an ~18 hr. day of med/heavy vaping. Obviously completely subjective and just my observation...

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would recommend the Basen as of this moment, although our current batch of Efests is just as good. Efest quality has seemed to vary from batch to batch recently so that's why I'd just go Basen.

Thanks Jon, the battery that was stuck in the mod was a NOOK 3.7V 5500mAh 65A. Why would it swell up and get stuck?

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for posting the question, and all the related info.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great informative thread, highly needed info with all the 26650s mods poping up in the market lately.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yes, a pretty reasonable lie lol.
Except it is my understanding that Liionwholesale actually tests samples of the batteries they sell to confirm they do what the packaging claims.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks Jon, the battery that was stuck in the mod was a NOOK 3.7V 5500mAh 65A. Why would it swell up and get stuck?

If you were using a low ohm build or coil it may have exceeded the continuous discharge rate and overheated the battery. There is no way to have a 5500 mah capacity and 65 amps, especially with a safe and stable battery chemistry ie; IMR. At least that is my understanding. Never heard of a Nook battery and if I had them, would find out a little more about them before using anymore.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Except it is my understanding that Liionwholesale actually tests samples of the batteries they sell to confirm they do what the packaging claims.

That is what I have heard also. Just received a Basen from Liion and the wrapper claims 4500 mah and 60 amp max. pulse current. This is a Basen wrap, not Liion, and quite frankly I don't believe those numbers.

Basen Black 4500mAh
This cell only has an exaggerated 60A pulse rating on the wrap with no continuous rating to be found on the Basen web site. When pulsed at 50A the voltage started at under 3.0V and soon dropped off from there. This is clearly not a 60A pulse cell. But it was one of the top five 26650's I tested and I gave it a 25A continuous (estimated) rating. Its length of 66.4mm means it should fit in the VF Stout without problems

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
List of My Battery Tests | Mooch's Blog
My battery ratings and safety grades table: Battery Safety Grades | Mooch's Blog

I am more inclined to rely on these numbers....it's in the charger now so will be able to compare with the MNKE pretty soon for real world application.

BTW the Basen had a security sticker which checked out as authentic on Basens website.

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you were using a low ohm build or coil it may have exceeded the continuous discharge rate and overheated the battery. There is no way to have a 5500 mah capacity and 65 amps, especially with a safe and stable battery chemistry ie; IMR. At least that is my understanding. Never heard of a Nook battery and if I had them, would find out a little more about them before using anymore.
The battery in question was inside a regulated mod with a 25A limited board, so there is no way this could have exceeded the battery's CDR

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Thanks for posting this, maybe we should be more clear about this on the website. We actually do not test to make sure the packaging is accurate. Amp ratings are a subjective thing. We test to make sure the batteries are genuine, that they don't have worse quality than usual, and also we're continually testing to find the best batteries so we only sell the best. There are some batteries that have silly amp ratings and we don't guarantee the ratings, those are on the manufacturer. We just post what the manufacturer rates them at and try to educate our customers whenever we can what they should actually be using the batteries at.

I should mention that we don't sell any batteries that we think would be actively dangerous at their rated current. Most of them it's a matter of if you use them that high they'll just immediately drop to 3V or less. As opposed to some lower quality batteries could explode or something, we don't deal with anything like that.

Also the mAh is generally accurate, we do test that because that is not subjective. Companies rating this incorrectly is unacceptable to us so we don't have anything that isn't at least very close to the rated mAh.

These Basens should give you a solid 4200mAh-4500mAh and about 30A continuous discharge.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
At what watts/Ω please?

Typically in the .09 to .2 range and 65 - 85 watts on various drippers and rta's. That is why I noted "subjective seat of pants observation" as I rarely get through a day with the same build/atty/juice and there was no structured testing done. Just how it's been working out for me. :)

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Typically in the .09 to .2 range and 65 - 85 watts on various drippers and rta's. That is why I noted "subjective seat of pants observation" as I rarely get through a day with the same build/atty/juice and there was no structured testing done. Just how it's been working out for me. :)
Thanks.
Just wanted to get an idea, compared to my usage parameters.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The battery in question was inside a regulated mod with a 25A limited board, so there is no way this could have exceeded the battery's CDR

You're probably right, but I have seen test results where high amp rated 50+ batteries came in around 10 continuous. That was my best guess for your issue...

edit - I may have confused your question with another I saw about a battery stuck in a Stout, sorry my bad

Last edited:

VU Sponsors