Become a Patron!

24g kanthal burning waaaay too hot!

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a kayfun tank and I usually use 28g kanthal. I tried 24g and ran into some serious trouble. I am a single coil lover and my setup won't allow for any fancy dual coil business, lol. Any build suggestions?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I run dual 24g micros @ .2ohms in my Orchids with no issues....not sure why a single 24g micro would be problematic for you. You need to let us know what your target resistance is so we can make recommendations. I think a great many Kayfun builders here probably use 26g for their builds.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Given the airflow in a stock kayfun (unless it's a V4) 24 gauge is going to be fairly warm. I suggest you set the 24 gauge aside for use in something you might pick up along the line that moves more air and go back to the 28 gauge or perhaps 26 or 27 for your kayfun builds to keep the heat at a level you are more comfortable with. Wire is fairly cheap so experiment to find what suits.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ordered some 26g last night. My target res is in the range of 0.8-1.0. I do about 10 wraps of 28g now and I am doing them micro style...just hate how quickly the 28g gets gunked up. I'm using pure VG thinned out with vodka so I know I'm gonna run into some issues with needing to change my wick and brn off residue more often than some of u guys...but hopefully switching to the 26g helps.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BtDubs....I have an allergy to PG so I thin out my VG with vodka...I make my own juice, and using 100% VG is ridick. Stuff is so thick! If u guys know a better way to carry flavor and thin out the VG... I'm open to advice on that as well

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I just did a coil with the 24g and did 10 wraps (as opposed to my previous 7) and now it works fine! Crazy right?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not crazy... but you should look at the coil calculator at www.steam-engine.org.

If you are really using 10 wraps of 28g to target a .8 ohm coil, you'd have to be using a .8mm coil.

Switching to 24g requires 20 wraps to get the same .8 ohms with a .8mm coil.

That being said, I doubt you are using a .8mm coil because even a silica wick normally needs a 1.6-2mm coil.

So... what diameter are you actually using? And are you using Kanthal A1 because the type of wire makes a difference. The numbers you state make me think you might actually be using Nichrome wire...

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using 24 AWG kanthal A1 round resistance wire by Lightning Vapes

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What mod are you using?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heat your vg. it will flow easier.
To thin it without the alcohol burn use a few drops of distilled water.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ordered some 26g last night. My target res is in the range of 0.8-1.0. I do about 10 wraps of 28g now and I am doing them micro style...just hate how quickly the 28g gets gunked up. I'm using pure VG thinned out with vodka so I know I'm gonna run into some issues with needing to change my wick and brn off residue more often than some of u guys...but hopefully switching to the 26g helps.
Man, why you gotta type about 'thinning w/ vodka ?...I gots a few shots of 'Candy Bar'...nah, I better not...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Man, why you gotta type about 'thinning w/ vodka ?...I gots a few shots of 'Candy Bar'...nah, I better not...
Use a clear grain neutral.
Anything with caramel, added sugars or coloring will destroy your coils damned fast.

VU Sponsors