Become a Patron!

24 years without a cigarette :/

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
While the title is catchy, and true. The back story, is truly sad.

I spent about 30 minutes today with a 64yo who had quit smoking when he was 40. He was interested in my vaping. Asked about it, I showed it to him and explained the best I could. And how far I had come. He congratulated me, then he told me his story.

He put down the cigarettes for good when he turned 40. But he has been on the patch since then. 24 F'n years on a Nic patch!

I didn't know what to say. :/

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Adding, his interest was peaked because he said he still had cravings for a cigarette with his coffee every morning. Even after all this time v

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What a sad story. Was he interested in vaping?

I hated the patch. I couldn't sleep, and everytime I did the step down I went through nic withdrawals. I found it much easier to quit cold turkey (that lasted 4 months LOL)!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What a sad story. Was he interested in vaping?

I hated the patch. I couldn't sleep, and everytime I did the step down I went through nic withdrawals. I found it much easier to quit cold turkey (that lasted 4 months LOL)!

I really couldn't tell. But he did ask questions. And certainly seemed interested when I told him that 0 Nic was available.

I think it was a reflex craving thing really. Especially since he did say he missed having a smoke with his coffee.

He was in the middle of a work out. But stopped long enough to talk to me. So I guess he was in a way. Or maybe he was just curious.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dont understand why its sad? He stopped the smoking and continued his Nicotine addiction the same thing all of us that Vape have done..
Help me understand

It's simple really. He's one of those statistics the FDA/CDC/WHO and a 100 other health agencies like to beat us up with every day.

He successfully quit smoking using an approved method but keeps Big Pharma and Big Government afloat.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's simple really. He's one of those statistics the FDA/CDC/WHO and a 100 other health agencies like to beat us up with every day.

He successfully quit smoking using an approved method but keeps Big Pharma and Big Government afloat.
And we are not keeping big corporations afloat by vaping? I still do not get it

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it sucks bc patchs are so expensive exp if you think when he first started useing them he needed a perscription.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it sucks bc patchs are so expensive exp if you think when he first started useing them he needed a perscription.
I agree its only sad cause he went broke buying patches but he still saved his life I call it a Celebration no matter the cost

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Tell me, who is paying for your habit?

In a few short years, this man will retire. With ONLY Social Security as income. (We discussed this too) Will Medicaid/Medicare cover that cost? Or will he be paying out of his own pocket?

Personally, I don't want to be on the hook for someone's nicotine addiction. Even though patches are considerably cheaper than vaping.

As you stated the other day. We all have our goals. Mine is not to remain a slave to a habit that feeds someone's wallet other than my own.

The fact he did quit is great. The fact he maintains the addiction, not so great. Although I have read studies stating that nicotine may help with dementia and Alzheimer's.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree its only sad cause he went broke buying patches but he still saved his life I call it a Celebration no matter the cost
Lol i miss the health aspect of smokeing. Usto say it was my retirement plan now i have none

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The sad part to me is that he still craves a cigarette every morning with his coffee!
Hmmm I dont know @AmandaD I still crave funny pictures on blotter paper put under my tongue and then going to see Black Sabbath concerts do you feel sad for me? :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tell me, who is paying for your habit?

In a few short years, this man will retire. With ONLY Social Security as income. (We discussed this too) Will Medicaid/Medicare cover that cost? Or will he be paying out of his own pocket?

Personally, I don't want to be on the hook for someone's nicotine addiction. Even though patches are considerably cheaper than vaping.

As you stated the other day. We all have our goals. Mine is not to remain a slave to a habit that feeds someone's wallet other than my own.

The fact he did quit is great. The fact he maintains the addiction, not so great. Although I have read studies stating that nicotine may help with dementia and Alzheimer's.
You argument still makes no sense at all!! Why is his Nicotine addiction an issue for you? Are you saying that your goal is to use Vaping as a cessation method for smoking ? Help me

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The sad part to me is that he still craves a cigarette every morning with his coffee!

Indeed! And I certainly feel his pain, every morning.

There isn't a single day that passes, that having a cigarette doesn't cross my mind. But, I simply recall how dissatisfied I was the one time I smoked after stopping. Then I just pick up my mod, and it quickly passes.

But to know this guy STILL thought about it 24 years later. Just damn!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You argument still makes no sense at all!! Why is his Nicotine addiction an issue for you? Are you saying that your goal is to use Vaping as a cessation method for smoking ? Help me
No, my goal is to see how many times on different threads you can ask me that question. This is three.

Of course the goal is to quit. Otherwise I'd still be chucking away at 24 or 30mg:p

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Indeed! And I certainly feel his pain, every morning.

There isn't a single day that passes, that having a cigarette doesn't cross my mind. But, I simply recall how dissatisfied I was the one time I smoked after stopping. Then I just pick up my mod, and it quickly passes.
But to know this guy STILL thought about it 24 years later. Just damn!
Basically I feel sad for myself because my addictions haunt me after 30 years

Last edited by a moderator:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That seems like a lotta threads just to validate your nicotine addiction.
Meh, maybe it's a bad month for pop quizzes and munchkins.

I view it as a lot of threads to validate my goal of ridding myself of the addiction. But that's okay too.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My old man quit cold turkey. Very strong, very cool imo. I couldn't, I vape, so what.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For all you know some of us would still be vaping with nic, 24 years from now.
Nic is nic, no difference.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For all you know some of us would still be vaping with nic, 24 years from now.
Nic is nic, no difference.

Very true. But there are two camps when it comes to Nic. One says it's not really addictive, the other says it is.

That old man, settled that argument IMO.

I support this industry 100%. For a long list of reasons. Here's a few

#1 Because it saves a smoker, money.
#2 It can save lives
#3 It's the only delivery system that can be truly tailored to the individual
#4 If the individual so desires. They can continuously reduce the Nic, until there is none. And when that happens, it becomes a habit, and can no longer be classified as an addiction. IMHO

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Meh, maybe it's a bad month for pop quizzes and munchkins.

I view it as a lot of threads to validate my goal of ridding myself of the addiction. But that's okay too.
Well many of us removed our self from Cigarettes but have no intention of ever giving up Nicotine.. I guess by your posts it seems that you are using vaping as a Cessation device and not an alternative I guess your post makes sense then... I take a different view of vaping I take it as those that know or have finally realized they are addicted to Nicotine but want to remove the Tar and Carbon Monoxide and the other 4,000+ chemicals

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At one point I thought of it at a cessation method also a few years ago when I started vaping. Started at 18mg. Moved to 12. Then 6. Then 3. Don't think I'm moving from 3, not in a long while anyway.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At one point I thought of it at a cessation method also a few years ago when I started vaping. Started at 18mg. Moved to 12. Then 6. Then 3. Don't think I'm moving from 3, not in a long while anyway.

You are doing better than me 2.5 years ago I started at 32mg and am still at 6mg and am thinking about going back up to stop this huge amount of juice I vape

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well many of us removed our self from Cigarettes but have no intention of ever giving up Nicotine.. I guess by your posts it seems that you are using vaping as a Cessation device and not an alternative I guess your post makes sense then... I take a different view of vaping I take it as those that know or have finally realized they are addicted to Nicotine but want to remove the Tar and Carbon Monoxide and the other 4,000+ chemicals

Four :D

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You know I have been vaping for years and never made a juice that would go with my morning coffee so I took tobacco leaves and soaked them in my pg, vg mix for two days PROBLEM SOLVED!

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You are doing better than me 2.5 years ago I started at 32mg and am still at 6mg and am thinking about going back up to stop this huge amount of juice I vape
I started with v2 cigalikes, so 18mg mouth to lung would suffice. Now .1 ohm in my rda sitting on a cherrybomber 18mg would destroy my guts. Even 6mg tingles a little.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started with v2 cigalikes, so 18mg mouth to lung would suffice. Now .1 ohm in my rda sitting on a cherrybomber 18mg would destroy my guts. Even 6mg tingles a little.

I dropped to 18mg when I started sub ohm lol

That lasted about 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am wondering that if in time we are c

What happens to your guts do you have a Tape worm or something that the Nicotine is feeding ? dear god man I am sorry does it do this?
ascarids.jpg

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe. Nic eating parasites.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Most Americans are on some form of prescription medication or another. Personally, I think it prescription meds creates dependence, for the most part, for ailments one can generally fix with diet and exercise...

What if he tries vaping, realizes it is close, but not enough, then takes up smoking again?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Most Americans are on some form of prescription medication or another. Personally, I think it prescription meds creates dependence, for the most part, for ailments one can generally fix with diet and exercise...

What if he tries vaping, realizes it is close, but not enough, then takes up smoking again?
While he may have been interested. Somehow I don't think he'll even try. We covered a lot of ground in our conversation. Health and money to retire were his biggest issues.

Prescription meds? All mine say Bayer Aspirin on the bottle. ;) And I don't even do flu shots.

VU Sponsors