Become a Patron!

22g Vert Coil on KayFun 3.1!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Very nice. It looks like you made a carto for a kayfun..

Have you had any wicking problems with it?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What Panko said!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very nice. It looks like you made a carto for a kayfun..

Have you had any wicking problems with it?

No wicking problems. The chimney is sitting REALLY high since the coil is so tall. What I did was tighten the chimney to the point where the flute touched the coil. Then I backed off a turn so it doesn't touch. This left a large amount of the channels exposed. I compensated for the increased juice flow by packing the cotton a little tighter than normal. It doesn't leak and no dry hits after the first tank. However, there is no chamber above the coil except the drip tip. I think that's causing the huge flavor, but vapor density is limited to what I would have expected.

Last edited:

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll get some post some pics tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think i understand what you mean. It works the same way the juice flow works on the Ithaka or the Aqua atomizers.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think i understand what you mean. It works the same way the juice flow works on the Ithaka or the Aqua atomizers.
Exactly! Since I can't adjust the chimney down, to cover more of the channels, I just compensated with more cotton to choke the flooding that would have occurred.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Man that is a great idea..I have to give it ago but i only have 26g wire lying around.

i finish off the tank i have for now and give it a go later on.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Man that is a great idea..I have to give it ago but i only have 26g wire lying around.

i finish off the tank i have for now and give it a go later on.
I plan on doing it again with 26g or 28g. So let me know how it goes! I tried it with the 22 just to see how far I could ridiculously go! Proved the concept though. I'll give this build about a week or two just to kick the tires. I had posted on another thread (can't remember which now) that I was going to try this. DONE!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just out of curiosity what did you wrap your wire around? I usually go for a 5/64 as if found it works best for me personally.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just out of curiosity what did you wrap your wire around? I usually go for a 5/64 as if found it works best for me personally.
I'll have to mike it when I get the chance, but it was >2.0mm philips head screwdriver. The ID of the coil is about the same size of the OD of the airhole below it. When I look down the coil, I can just see the outside edge of the raised air channel. Edit: plus I had to go pretty big to get the res up using 22g. End edit.

Last edited:

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Here's the pics (again on my crappy phone's0717140222.jpg camera) after running 4 tanks through:
0717140218.jpg

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
great work Chowder ,and thanks for the pics.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update: It's been approximately three weeks of flawless performance with this build. I just can't bring myself to rebuild for s&g. I'll be looking to buy another 3.1 to rebuild and see how long this build lasts! Will update the thread as developments occur.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i tried it the other day and i guess i wicked it wrong cause it felt like sucking molasses threw a straw lol.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The wicking only goes between the coil and the chimney housing. You should be able to look down the middle of the coil and see the airflow hole at the bottom of the coil. The airflow should not be impeded AT ALL. Hope this helps if you try again.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The way I've been wicking this is to have a long piece of cotton rolled, just like I would wick a micro coil. Then I place one end down the side between the coil and chimney, and down to the juice channel. I pack it in there with the end of a small slot screwdriver. I then work the length of cotton around the outside of the coil to the other juice channel and pack that side. I continue to move the length of cotton around the coil until the cotton is even with the top of the coil (see picture above). Again, I look down the center of the coil and ensure that nothing is in there and I can completely see the airflow hole. Another way to accomplish this would be to keep a small phillips head screw driver sticking down the center of the coil, while wicking, to keep anything from getting in the way of the air hole. Also, when I say pack the cotton, I am packing it just a little tighter than normal; not packed so tight it stops the juice from wicking. Again, I hope this helps.

VU Sponsors