Become a Patron!

1st time in over six years this happened...was lucky

vaper719

Member For 4 Years
All thoughts on this occurrence welcome as I would prefer it never happen again :)

Been vaping over six years and just had my first "what the hell" moment with a mod that was just sitting for a week (not touched).

Fan of the Noisy Crickets...own five V1's and one V2. Four of the V1's have the Fatdaddy upgrade kit and the fifth had an Indestructible RDA on top.

The only one without the Fat Daddy kit (the one with the Indestructale RDA ) has been used sparingly as a flavor alternative without issue for over six months with Samsung 25R's and had been sitting, hardly used, with relatively fresh Samsung 25R's (4/17/17 start use date after full charge) on my desk for about a week.
Fortunately I was at my desk when, for no apparent reason, heard the hissing and was able to remove the indestructible and batteries to prevent further issues.

I am of the thought that it was just a defective battery (one came out hot and blackened 2/3 on the negative end...the other was not unusually warm and appeared fine).
Throwing both out, but wanted to post here to make sure I'm not missing something. A bit unnerving to think that if I was not at my desk at the time things could have been much worse, even though I try like hell to vape safely.

A mod just sitting around for a week untouched with freshly charged new(ish) batteries shouldn't be an issue right? Had to be a defective 25R? Thoughts?

Will start loosening the rda's on the mods I occasionally use as flavor changers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I would think there would have had to be a short somewhere for a battery to just start to vent like that.

But that would be impossible if it were just sitting there and hadn't been touched or the table bumped or had some kind of movement.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

I'd be dying to know what happened too to be sure it never happened again.

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's very nearly impossible that the mod had anything to do with this, if you're telling us that it hadn't even been touched or moved in more than 10 minutes. It's very unlikely that the battery failed in such spectacular fashion without input, but definitely possible. These batteries can fail internally for no outwardly obvious reasons at any time, and should be handled with great care.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would think there would have had to be a short somewhere for a battery to just start to vent like that.

But that would be impossible if it were just sitting there and hadn't been touched or the table bumped or had some kind of movement.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

I'd be dying to know what happened too to be sure it never happened again.
Mikolajczak, et al. (2011) provide detailed descriptions and explanations of the various failure modes that lithium-ion batteries can experience. (See page 47 "Cell and Battery Failure Modes" here: http://www.prba.org/wp-content/uploads/Exponent_Report_for_NFPA_-_20111.pdf )
So although it happens only rarely, a manufacturing defect that goes hidden inside the battery can potentially be the root cause of a battery to just start to vent like that.

I said it before, and will keep saying it... there is ALWAYS some risk involved with Lithium rechargeable batteries. There is no "safe". There is no "unsafe". There's only "80 shades of gray in between". (Mooch's words.)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is worrying for sure, and I am glad you are OK.

The batteries we use do have the potential to have internal issues we can't see, leading to a failure like you describe, so it could well have been a bad 25R. Luckily these are rare occurrences.

The main thing is you are OK, a mod and batteries are replaceable, you aren't. Always remember that if you are faced with a situation you think something may go wrong.

BareVN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would of thrown that Mf like a grenade. Ive had a battery vent in my backpack before and it scared the bejesus out of me, since then im stupid cautious with them. best way to be though, Lucky you didnt have headphones in or something... Glad youre all good man

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would of thrown that Mf like a grenade. Ive had a battery vent in my backpack before and it scared the bejesus out of me, since then im stupid cautious with them. best way to be though, Lucky you didnt have headphones in or something... Glad youre all good man
Hey man, is it you from over at Planet of the vapes? It's Conan :) (Sorry to derail, just saw the name)

VU Sponsors