1st Battery Mod buy...

Discussion in 'Help I have questions!' started by longbeen, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:17 AM.

1. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey all
    Have 2 built in battery mods nom just to get going with but now looking to future proof a bit and want to look into a nice but not mega difficult and not mega expensive mod box that takes batteries and really i'm starting at the bottom and know very little at this stage about vaping and everything involved with it so hoping for some simple advice(for a simple guy not yet up to speed on all this stuff)
    Have been looking around the $30 mark(because spent too much already) for a mod and found what looks like a nice starting point with the bonus of a tank and rba(for later when the knowledge maybe comes).
    This little guy...
    https://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-SUBOX-Mini-Starter-Kit-Black-p/krsbk1.htm

Any thoughts or better yet experience with this one?
    Also welcome any suggestions to have a look at? Especially something that has a nice tank with it and/or an RBA so can play with building coils later on. Am pretty much looking to future proof a little bit(that seems impossible to do in the vaping world) but also backup for the backup...Have already learned the hard way about not having a backup when dropped the glass of my first tank(rt 22) and not having a backup
    Current gear...
    Aster RT built in 4400mAh battery with rt22 tank(and now spare glass)
    Cuboid mini 2400mAh battery with mello3 tank.(with spare glass on the way just in case...hahaha)
    On order, Kanger Toptank (with spare glass too)
    and a couple of shitty pen batteries with evods that just do not do it for me while trying to kick the ciggies.
    Appreciate any and all input guys, thanks so much.

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  2. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Live Host Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    This is the exact setup I recommend to beginners. I have 4 of them in my daily rotation. They are reliable, easy to use, and the coils are fairly cheap. Good choice! :cheers:

longbeen likes this.
  3. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Future proofing is easier than you may think, a vapepocalypse stash of rebuildable atomizers, a few miles of wire, several years worth of nicotine concentrate in the freezer and a few mods that can accept multiple battery sizes :)

longbeen likes this.
  4. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd aliens... or drone? Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    One of the best starter kits you can buy!
    It has all the safety features to ensure everything runs smooth; and, the tank offers great flavor and dependability.
    The only advice I could give you on additional equipment would be to stock up on coils, get yourself a good charger; and, 3 batteries. One to use, one to have charging and one to have as backup to keep with you.
    Keep your batteries in a case or battery condom when not in use or on the charger. Especially keep it in the case while carrying it about.
    https://101vape.com/silicone-battery-case-for-single-18650.html
    A good 4 bay charger
    https://101vape.com/nitecore-digicharger-d4.html

For batteries I tend to stick with Samsung 25r or 30q or Sony vtc5a
    https://101vape.com/samsung-inr-18650-25r5-green-battery-pair.html

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    SpectoVia, longbeen and Countrypami like this.
  5. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much for your replies everyone. It's hard to believe I've made a half decent choice with the lack of knowledge i've started with and the absolute mind boggling inundation of information and gear choices to try to sift through.
    Very much appreciate your replies, thank you.

f1r3b1rd and Countrypami like this.
  6. SpectoVia

SpectoVia Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    My best advice for a beginner is to be aware of the cost of replacement coils for their atomizers.

Often, I have had situations like....

“Cool, that atomizer is only $10.....but replacement coils are $20 for a pack of 5.”

I’ve evolved into an Aspire/Amigo and Vaporesso EUC coil fan.
    Reasonably priced and even the FastTech generic coils of those styles are pretty good too.

If you’re looking for a tank that’s adaptable, check out this tank.....
    https://eciggity.com/morph-tank-by-ehpro-eciggity/

And would look great on this mod.....
    https://eciggity.com/ehpro-mod-101/

10% off code -tenoff
    Just over $40 for both but not sure about shipping.

7. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that SpectoVia
    The coil costs are a big reason why I went for the eleaf tank to start with and the Kanga thats on the way, for now should have an ok stock of coils(and tank glass after being a gumby & breaking my only glass) but also rebuildable for all 3 tanks for when i'm up to speed a little bit to have a shot at making my own coils.
    Thanks for the links, these look good, especially the mod for taking on the bike with me. Will have to hunt around as shipping to here is an issue with alot of online stores

8. SpectoVia

SpectoVia Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    You hang in there Earl....
    Adapt and overcome

9. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    Doing my best mate...So far this is the longest off the cigs in 30+ yrs so winning already even though the body isn't liking it so much and thanks heaps for the encouragement.

@Countrypami & @f1r3b1rd
    Having a small issue getting the colour I want with this. Really prefer the black but the places that I can get delivered from only have Blue or White...blahh Not really as important as staying off the cigs but the ones that I can get in black don't have the Kangertech Subtank Mini Atomizer
    They have 3ml Protank 5 and it looks like no RBA with the Protank 5 which was a pretty good bonus with Subtank Mini.
    Any thoughts about the 2 different tanks, have read a bit about different Protanks leaking but have never used one.
    Cheers everyone for your replies and help

10. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd aliens... or drone? Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I checked around and don’t see the minikit in Black ether; at least not with the Subtank. It looks like they stopped making that particular kit in favor of the prptank5.

You could always get the c-kit with the protank, I’ve read that tank is a little nicer and then get a good dedicated rta to learn on. This one looks like a nice affordable single coil tank. Typically the dedicated rta tanks will be easier to
    Build and wick and offer better performance than a Subtank with an rta Head.

https://www.myvaporstore.com/Wotofo-Viper-RTA-p/woto-vip10.htm

From what I’ve read up on the Subtank mini, the rba head likes to leak a lot. You could also check the YouTube, I’ll bet someone is rebuilding those pro tank heads and offered a video on how to beat the system.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 11:29 AM
  11. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    The Kanger kit is one of the best I own and I have dozens. My mod works perfectly and the subtank is still tough to beat, despite the glut of stuff out there today. The mod has been taken over by my wife to use with her... medicinal vape but I still use the subtank a couple times a week.

Countrypami likes this.
  12. r055co

r055co VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    SpectoVia and f1r3b1rd like this.
  13. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
  14. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Live Host Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...entic-kangertech-subox-mini-black-starter-kit

f1r3b1rd likes this.
  15. r055co

Blog Posts:
    I don't trust rewrappers, you never know when they will change the battery under the wrapper and this isn't an uncommon practice with rewrappers. So why not just buy the authentic? Most often than not they're actually cheaper than the rewrapped.

inspects, SpectoVia and f1r3b1rd like this.
  16. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    Not a HG2 rewrap

17. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    Excellent info, thanks very much everyone.

18. r055co

Blog Posts:
    It's a rewrap of something for the only real battery manufactures are Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG and the new kid on the block Tesla with their 21700's ;)

19. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    No its not. I don't know who manufactures their batteries but that is how business world works. Companies hire manufactures to build to their specs. Cordless drills same manufacture make Hitachi, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Rigid, and probably some others.

20. r055co

Blog Posts:
    OK I got clarification from Mooch about the battery manufactures

"Indonesia Chemistry is said to be making Hohm Tech’s batteries. I don’t know who makes iJoy’s batteries but there are several China manufacturers putting out cells we use or other non-China battery companies (other than the Big 4) whose cells are being used by the China battery wrappers."

21. r055co

Blog Posts:
    anyway the Hohmtech is a decent 20a (so far) made by Indonesia Chemistry with a useless max pulse rating I still stand by the recommendation of Samsung 30Q 19a with 3000 mAh recommendation.

f1r3b1rd and inspects like this.
  22. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Who manufactures their own batteries are the Big 4, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG

23. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I pull enough amperage from my batteries to err on the side of caution and spend an extra dollar on batteries I feel, I know I can trust.
    For clarification, @r055co ‘s big4.
    It’s just worth it: I’m not going to risk screwing up a couple of hundred dollars in vape gear just to save a dollar on a rewrap battery. The battery is the heart and soul of the device, with prices still being so palatable on batteries it’s worth it.

@longbeen pami put a link up there for the black kit you wanted.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 11:50 PM
    Countrypami, SpectoVia and r055co like this.
  24. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Yep, the rewrappers like Hohmtech you never know when they will change where they source their batteries and they also exaggerate their ratings, I won't trust them.

Example it looks like iJoy has changed where they source their 20700 batteries and Mooch is testing this other batch, from Mooch -

"Another iJoy 20700 cell change

Looks like iJoy changed what cell they are wrapping for their 20700. It still has a five “leg” top contact but it’s different in appearance.
    They were the cells included with an Avenger 270 mod. I do not know if they’re being sold separately.

I‘m trying to find someone who will sell me four for testing. I’ll post again when I have more information."

I stick with the Big 4 for you know what you're getting and no exaggerations

25. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Roger that... efest has been doing that foolishness since I started vaping back when 15w mods were considered cloudchasing.
    I’ve never bought rewrap and I never will. To be honest, it doesn’t make any sense. You can find legit Samsung cells for 5-6$

r055co likes this.
  26. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Yep these Hohmtech 18650's are per Mooch tested are comparable to the LG HG2, here's the price -

Hohmtech $8
    https://www.imrbatteries.com/hohm-life-18650-3077mah-flat-top-battery/

LG HG2 $6.50
    https://www.imrbatteries.com/lg-hg2-18650-3000mah-20a-flat-top-battery/

Why?

I'll continue to stick with the Big 4 over rewrappers unless you cannot get them (my situation with 26650's, 20700's and 18350's).

f1r3b1rd likes this.
  27. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    They claim to adding more safety feature. I buy them cause that is what they carried where I was shopping and $1.50 isn't going to break my budget. Maybe you didn't notice but at imrbatteries the LG HG2 is not in stock but the Hohmlife is. For something to be a rewrap first it has to have been wrapped that isn't the case. If you paid someone to manufacture a battery for you your wrapper would be on it not anyone elses. I've bough LG HG2s they are good batteries but the wrapper is shit. I just bought some vapcell 20700s their recommend by mooch and 30A 3100 mAh using on pulse BF with recurve rda with .16 build

28. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Liionwholesale has them in stock they are fairly common and I'm sure IMR Batteries will get them restocked soon -
    https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...lat-top-wholesale-discount?variant=3263844292

Anyway what most of us classify as a rewrapper are the ones who don't manufacture the batteries themselves. The point that a lot of us have with them is they can change the manufacture/batteries at anytime without notice. While Hohmlife may be consistent with sourcing from Indonesia Chemistry that can change at any moment without notice, that and Hohmlife also has had a history of exaggerating the ratings. So it really comes down to trust.

As for Vapcell I've got their 20700 Gold/Black and they're great because I couldn't find anywhere the Sanyo 20700A (should include Sanyo in as the Big 5). I used to run Basen 26650's then found out they changed sources without notification, performance went to shit. It was great when the iJoy 26650's came out but how long before they change their source? Thing about going with the Big 5 who actually manufacture their own is consistency and trust.

Bottom line though is if you're happy with them, go for it. But I'll just leave a bit of advice and that is keep an eye out for they very well may change the source manufacture without letting anyone know at any time ;)

29. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    I classify only batteries as rewraps if their rewrapped. I'm like that I call things but what they are

30. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Only problem, the Hohmlife typically is at least one buck more expensive than the LG HG2, while you're gaining nothing in return exactly because they're about equal. (Even, now that the HG2 appears to be sold out at imrbatteries.com, liionwholesale.com, and illumn.com right at this moment.)

https://www.imrbatteries.com/hohm-life-18650-3077mah-flat-top-battery

https://www.18650batterystore.com/18650-p/lg-hg2.htm
    (Mooch recently added 18650batterystore to his list of trusted vendors on his blog.)

So the one important question is why should we pay more for nothing? Another thing is the Sony VTC6 outperforms both of these two batteries, and it's actually even cheaper right now. (I know Mooch says the VTC6 is only 15A, and 20A up to only 75°C battery surface temperature, but anyone who is capable to read an official datasheet will know that the maximum operating temperature at the battery surface for the HG2 is also only 75°C so... LOL!)

31. biowar

biowar New Member Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    you may want to check your vapcell 20700 gold-black, it seems they have done a cell change on the 3100 mah ones for the worst recently, the 3200 are ok however. check out mooch's post on face book for details..as long as this post seems to have switched to re-wraps :)

32. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Those are the Gold/White I've got the Gold/Black so I'm good. ;)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

33. gbalkam

gbalkam Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Going to agree with many here, the Kanger topbox mini is a great tank/kit. However, you have 2 battery in mods now, so my best suggestion, is shoot the works and get a decent, top end mod. Segelei Kaos Specturm is my fav of several I have tried. Mine cost about $65 Can from fasttech. (Don't get it wet and try to fire it) aside from that.. it easily fires 150-170w and anything below. The cool led lights are just a bonus. Here is the way I have it figured... buy a $30 mod today, and another $30 mod in 2 months then a $50 mod when the $30 mod won't fire your fused claptons, then $65 for a new mod because the $50 mod won't fire your fused alien zipper clapton coil. (exagerating here, but some coils need a ton of power to fire) So, I say, skip the training wheels and get a Harley... go for the segelie. (it is actually cheaper in the long run than buying 3 or 4 seperate mods)

34. VAPEROXX

VAPEROXX Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    A Sigelei anything is hardly a "top end" mod. Sigelei is becoming more and more like Smok; pumping out substandard junk to capitalize on the beginning vaper masses. The old Sigelei 150 was probably the last quality Sigelei...don't confuse the nice newcomers here by claiming you ride a "Harley" when you're scooting along on a Honda Ruckus. And no it's not about the cash. But you do get what you pay for. And if you think $59.99 is top end, send it to me and I'll throw it in the pile with my $60 junkers, and maybe we can get something for them for scrap metal. I've spent $60 on a mod in the past, but after years of vaping, I've found quality will cost a significant amount more. That also is not to say all affordable mods are bad. I have a $50 squonker mod (80w Regulated Vandy Vape Pulse) that's been awesome so far (2 months-ish). But I don't claim it to be "top end" either.

To the OP: If you're serious about vaping, and coils, and batteries, and mods, etc...shop around inside your budget of course. Listen to the suggestions of seasoned vapers on this forum (you'll figure out who they are), but realize; if it has a 30 day warranty, don't expect much past those 30 days unfortunately.

Side note: "Fused Alien Zipper Clapton"? High power? I fire a Stitched Framed Staple Alien (that I built) at 65 watts. Long named "fancy" coils don't always need "tons of power"...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 9:47 PM
  35. gbalkam

gbalkam Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:

36. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate all the input from everyone...and the headache that comes with it too...lol
    Seriously all info is good info in the quest for knowledge and what will ultimately work best for me as I progress. I'm guessing if it was just a simple 1 size fits all sort of deal then there wouldn't be forums like this and an absolute confusing shitload of choices for gear, then an absolute shitload of choices for those choices etc etc etc..
    Don't always have time for a sensible reply but I am taking it all in and filtering it through...and do appreciate everyone's input & effort. Thanks guys...edit...and gals

37. longbeen

longbeen New Member

Blog Posts:
    Seems like i'm going to have issues with getting batteries here too(due to geographical challenges).
    Yeah would much prefer a better brand but so far looks like i'm limited to a chinese supplier. Any experience with chinese batteries?
    Is there one or a few different brands or re wraps worth looking into thats not going to blow my head off?